S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM   #21
sk8matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
Wow -- I had no idea. For the past 15 years I have been going skating, practicing, building skill, and now I find out it isn't cool? Well, I guess it is time to just hang it up then!

Seriously -- I am taking my wife (non-skater, has trouble accepting that it is my passion) to a rink that isn't my home rink but one that is generally considered to be about as "cool" as a rink can get. Since my wife only skates for about 10 minutes and then wants to go sit down and hang and wait to leave, I suggested that she invite friends. According to her, no one wants to go and they laughed at the proposed idea of going skating.

Now, I seriously understand that skating isn't what everyone wants to do and I wouldn't expect anyone to do something they don't want to do. But I find it to be quite rude to respond to an invitation with a laugh. Here is why....

1) Whoever she invited knows I am her hubby and all of her friends/family know this is my thing. To not want to go is one thing, but to laugh at the idea is an insult.

2) None of her friends are people I would consider "cool", and in fact most I would consider -- if I can judge for a moment -- to be kind of pathetic. The reason is because none of them have something that is their "thing" that they do well.

The best way I can describe this circle of friends -- which one or more found the idea of skating to be laughable -- is as follows..... they are Sex in the City wannabe's.
No offense intended but (its never stopped me before btw) . . .

1. If you're sticking with your wife, you're kinda stuck with her family. Just gotta deal with that.

2. On the bright side, she can always find new friends.

3. The only people that think DOING ANYTHING isn't cool are people who CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! (sitting in a restaurant acting pretentious does not count)

4. I read Tony Hawk's auto-biography and while I can't quote it (not a bad read) I'm pretty sure when he was a kid all his friends thought HE was lame for being soooo into skate boarding. I'm sure there are many more stories similar to that throughought the world of DOING.

5. When you and your wife are old and nearing the end of your time, her friends won't remember their Sex and the City-capades, but I am pretty damn sure ((if you're skating experiences (inline, quad, speed, agressive, board, uni-skate... .whatever) are anything like mine)) YOU WILL REMEMBER SKATING.

Mmmmmmm. Just typing bout it makes me wanna DO it. Just hafta wait till the morning.

If none of that works - just Effem All!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #22
kufman

Quote:
I think this is really what it is about -- I still fit in the closes I wore 15 years ago.

Hey, I was a skateboarder too, back in about 1978 through 1982.
My brother was into skateboarding at that time, we even had a half pipe in the back yard. Back in the day when a skateboard had a front and a back... now days I can't tell which is which LOL.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:33 AM   #23
Greenetuckian

Not sure how old you are but I am 42 and have spent my whole life doing things that are not cool. Oh well at least my friends are real. My ex wife thinks I am uncool also. Perhaps that's why she is an "ex" wife. Sheri is only 29, we go to the rink pretty much every Tue. in season (rink is closed June - Nov 1.) She skates sometime other times not but she is always there.

When we get old and the end is near we will not remember what we did to be cool. What we will look back on fondly is the things we did that we loved and the people we loved.

Oh and what's cool today will definitely be uncool tomorrow.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM   #24
beep1o
beep1o

I have to say...not a single person I've met has tried to tell me I'm not cool when I tell them I do roller derby.

Quad skating hasn't been mainstream "cool" since the late 80's - but who wants to be another sheep in the mainstream anyway? That being said it is coming back I think and anyone who still skates is now on the cutting edge. Think about the roller skating iPod commercial...and the Coke one, and the movie Roll Bounce. Its so cool that the uncool people haven't even realized it yet

Do what you like. Anyone who says its not cool is not cool themselves.
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:01 AM   #25
online inline

i agree with sk8scott in that it must be a regional thing - here in Pacific Northwestern US (Seattle), skating is cool enough, and if you do it well, you are da bomb! Most days i hit the trail, i get someone who will take the time to let me know of their approval/admiration etc.

As far as a a common stereotype of skating, people just don't know what good skating is. So i don't care what they think of what they think skating is. Think about it.

For that reason, i never tell anyone i skate. If they catch me heading out, i say i'm off to catch some exercise. "Running, you know, stuff like that..."

It's my business, i don't care what they think, and i'd prefer to keep it that way, and have for as long as i've been skating.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #26
OldSchoolRinkRat
Rink Rat 4 Life

I understand where this is coming from. Being in my early 30's, and just going to the rink gets me odd looks from some of my associates.

The thing I think is humorous about the whole uncoolness factor that some people put toward the sport, is when I go to the PTO skating parties for my children's school.

We have lived in the same town pretty much all of our lives, and the members of the PTO are the same people I went to high school with back in the day. Those same PTO members are the ones that used to make fun of me because I went to the rink 4 days and 3 nights a week during school. Now they awe at how well I handle myself on wheels, saying stuff like : "You make that look easy..." Or "Wow how do you do that?"

My reply is typically: "That's what all those years you made fun of me for did for me!" or "I can show you how. You know they DO give public lessons on Saturdays from 12:30 - 2:00..."

It actually does come full circle sometimes.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:23 AM   #27
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
Two feet? Why yell from so far away???

Back when I used to skate on the VA Beach boardwalk, I used to enjoy "buzzing" people who strolled across my path without looking. I'd come within inches and either say nothing, or offer a polite "hello."

----Scott

My favorite trick is to just keep the power on going around people...do a really deep underpush around them with say, my right leg if I'm passing them on their left, or vice versa. When people are obnoxious and get in my way, or when kids on bikes try to race me (lol), etc. its always fun to pass them with an extra deep lean almost-sorta-right into them as I pass. People don't have a concept of how this works....you're expected to pass on the left, weight on your left leg and kinda just roll by. But no, that slows you down. Best just to carve around them as if they were potholes or whatever

Having been occasionally passed by skaters at speed while I'm walking or whatever, I happen to know we make a pretty big mess of the air behind us too. Always fun messing up an oblivious walker's newspaper or whatever as punishment for creeping along at 1mph in the middle of the trail. Head up sir, look around, its a beautiful day.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:08 AM   #28
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Here's a topic I've been wrestling with myself. I'm 35, just started skating again after a 17 year lapse. I'm afraid to tell people about it. It's not even remotely cool around here, not even for kids, let alone adults.

Oh, I tell them we've been taking our daughter skating, blah blah blah. But that I'm driving an hour and a half, followed by another hour and a half drive home, getting back at 12:30? So I can go to a special adults-only ROLLERSKATING session? EVERY Saturday? If I tell people that, I'll get lumped into the same category as the crazy lady with 107 cats in her apartment, or the guy that stands on the fountain in front of city hall and screams bible verses at the pigeons.

Now I know how synchronized swimmers must feel.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:57 AM   #29
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hey a GREAT Venting!

Hi TCarlisle,

Quote:
Wow -- I had no idea. For the past 15 years I have been going skating, practicing, building skill, and now I find out it isn't cool? Well, I guess it is time to just hang it up then!
Geez, I needed to vent on this. Thanks!
My first reply to an interesting note/tread.

First of ALL, I am glad you found a place on the Internet to vent your frustration. You vented about everyone close to you, that should support your skating growth, yet instead somehow finds YOU a bit weird. I find their position to be very ODD and maturity imbalanced. At least that is my Weirdo to Weirdo position for now. Thanks goodness they don't know you are with skating friends.

I am going to read some more of the replies to your started tread, and see if I can add value yet I wanted to first tell a story.

I am older (60 close) and always have enjoyed helping young skaters, parents, or even older skaters to skate and try new stuff. You can see I do the same thing here on this Forum. Well one day I was helping one young mom's kids who was appreciative as all get out for my help with her son, and then there was this other strange mom with many more kids that screamed and screamed because I talked to her gang of kids on the skate floor. A weird experience, and all those at the rink and skate guards said WOW people can be weird.

So buckle up, and skate like your life depended on it. You will find in time more people will support your growth and ask you to lead.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #30
Davey_Speedstar

Quote:
they are Sex in the City wannabe's.
Since when was Sex in the City cool????

One good reaason why hanging out in bars getting hammered is a bad idea (other than MY wife not letting me) is the prospect that one morning you might might wake up with no memory of what happened the night before, and something looking like SJP (or her friends) lying next to you!!!

**shudders**
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #31
bethany1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barf View Post
Here's a topic I've been wrestling with myself. I'm 35, just started skating again after a 17 year lapse. I'm afraid to tell people about it. It's not even remotely cool around here, not even for kids, let alone adults.

Oh, I tell them we've been taking our daughter skating, blah blah blah. But that I'm driving an hour and a half, followed by another hour and a half drive home, getting back at 12:30? So I can go to a special adults-only ROLLERSKATING session? EVERY Saturday? If I tell people that, I'll get lumped into the same category as the crazy lady with 107 cats in her apartment, or the guy that stands on the fountain in front of city hall and screams bible verses at the pigeons.

See? You are a PERFECT candidate to tell people you are a reformed alcoholic. Tell them your AA meetings are held at a skating rink. LOL By the way, your story sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Only I only have to drive 30 minutes to my rink.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM   #32
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I'm 43. Try hanging out at the skateboard park in skates. At first the teens called me "sir". A lot of them ask if I'm a cop. (with very red eyes, during school hours, reeking LOL)

Then they notice I'm wearing skates, which automatically puts me in the "fruitboot" (that's what the skateboarders call aggressive skates) category. I smile, watch the flow for a minute, then crash thru whatever flow they had, riding fakie (skating backward), playing my airguitar to whatever is blaring on my mp3 player.

The only people I've found who don't think my skating is cool is the woodpushers who I show up at the skatepark, and my mother, who is terrified I'm gonna fall back into the pool and hurt myself. She does admit that it looks fun. (she was quite the skater herself, back in the day)

There have been a couple of skateboarder's dads who have looked at me with disdain (or jealousy). Of course this is probably due to their son's comments, "Dad, why won't you ride with me?" My presence on skates kind of f$&#s up their story of, "No son, I'm too old for that."

Myself, I like bursting the stereotype bubble of skating being uncool and the "fruitboot" stereotype. Being over 200lbs and taller than 6'5 on my skates typically allows me plenty of unmolested bubble busting.

Cool as a cucumber,
Dave

.ps This picture shows my game face. I just landed a really large gap and that's my expression when I am under load. LOL its no wonder people give me wide berth.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM   #33
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
skaters do look pretty stupid out there swinging their arms around."
That's why I keep mine on my back. :-)

Quote:
I think secretly many adults would like to try it, but don't want to get hurt or be ridiculed.!
Too true.
Quote:
...and I personally gave up trying to be "cool" a long time ago. Being a dork just comes so natural!
Plus, I'm good at being a dork!
Quote:
Shouting out, "On your left" while 10 yards away isn't nearly as fun as yelling, "BOO!" when you're two feet away...
Or make a noise like a race car, or like a tie fighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barf View Post
Soggy? ;-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #34
Tuesday Girl

When I started back at the rink last summer, (I'm 47 with husband and 5 kids, 22,21,19,17,13) after 25 years, my family tired quickly of my rink stories. One of my brothers teased me about my skating until I coaxed him to come with me. That was before Christmas, and at our family gathering he couldn't quit talking about it himself! He thought the skaters were awesome (we do have a lot of good skaters...and older ones too.) But I have put up with a lot of crap from my family!! Now I just try not to talk about it so much. Their eyes glaze over when I do!

He hasn't been back because he just got married and was planning the wedding, etc. etc. But his wife skates a little and when their new life settles down he said he wants to start coming. My oldest brother used to skate with me and I've gotten his butt out there twice, but he was busy all winter with his kids' basketball. I think he likes fishing better than skating, so I may not get him to come too often. I dragged my 19 year old daughter to the rink and she could see also why I like it. She said it's not her thing though. My husband has yet to come and watch, but he promised he would!

Everyone I tell at the Y seems to think it's cool that I'm skating. Maybe they are not as honest as my family! I think there is a good skating population here in the Twin Cities. I see younger adults coming and learning too.

Went dancing with my husband last night. We are learning and not good. I so wished I was on my skates! Now I know what the newbies feel like at the roller rink around us better skaters! We were so out of our league at that ballroom last night! We are going to get the library videos out and practice in the basement for several weeks!

I will be looking forward to skating again...something I can do better than dancing!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #35
Wolfgang

I agree with Rink Rat - in my experience, the vast majority of adults who knock skating (any kind) are just plain scared of falling.
Hence the 95-98% dropout rate.
It's the same on ice.
Add to that the fact that most people consider it to be a kids' pastime.
As opposed to 'adult' things like ....golf.....pool.....or....poker.......
It's also not the 'in' thing right now.
Not really sure what excatly the 'in' thing may be at this point, possibly golf (ugh!).

In this area, there's essentially two types of outdoor skaters, there's kids and teens (all boys) who are to some degree into 'aggressive' skating, baggy panyts, gangsta-hoodies, knit beanies with skulls, the worrks, they tend to hang at the skate park, every once in a blue moon you see one of them roll down a sidewalk somewhere.
Then there's still a handful of 'fitness' skaters - mostly women - they've got the 'fitness' outfit, the fanny pack with Gatorade, Powerade, Artificialade, Power Bar, Gu, etc. (to make sure every calorie burned can immediately be replenished), the shades, the newbies wear pads, the 'cool' ones don't, they come out onto the bike path (never will they stray from the bike path) when it's over 90 degrees and the nearest cloud is somewhere over Grants (2 hours away).
The gay guys seem to have given up, a few of them still go to Roller Boogie indoors on quads, along with the pre-teens who are into violent rap and somewhat less violent collisions on the rubbery rink floor.

On ice, there's no shortage of girls under 15, then there's a handful of die-hard lifers over 50, sometimes a bunch of teen couples or groups of teen girls at the public sessions.
The adults stay in the snack bar.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM   #36
online inline

Dude, you need to seriously re-think your last post....
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #37
cehowardrc51

Quote:

Seriously -- I am taking my wife (non-skater, has trouble accepting that it is my passion) to a rink that isn't my home rink but one that is generally considered to be about as "cool" as a rink can get. Since my wife only skates for about 10 minutes and then wants to go sit down and hang and wait to leave, I suggested that she invite friends. According to her, no one wants to go and they laughed at the proposed idea of going skating.

Now, I seriously understand that skating isn't what everyone wants to do and I wouldn't expect anyone to do something they don't want to do. But I find it to be quite rude to respond to an invitation with a laugh. Here is why....

1) Whoever she invited knows I am her hubby and all of her friends/family know this is my thing. To not want to go is one thing, but to laugh at the idea is an insult.

2) None of her friends are people I would consider "cool", and in fact most I would consider -- if I can judge for a moment -- to be kind of pathetic. The reason is because none of them have something that is their "thing" that they do well.

The best way I can describe this circle of friends -- which one or more found the idea of skating to be laughable -- is as follows..... they are Sex in the City wannabe's. They will go into a restaurant and sit and act like high and mighty socialites, but they are as fake as the LV knock-off handbags on their arms. And when they go out, they strategically have to pick a place that they think won't have any actual high society females (or fakers that do a better job). They can't walk into a top Manhattan restaurant or club because they would be revealed as the fakers that they are, so instead they bottom feed in dives so they can feel good about themselves.

Who the heck decides what is cool? And is it really "cool" to follow what those people say? Who is really cool -- the person that doesn't have a "thing" because all "things" are beneath that person, or the person that puts their heart into something -- especially when that something may not be mainstream?

Skating may not be popular, but the person that tells me skating is not "cool" better be ready for an earful!

Geez, I needed to vent on this. Thanks!
Later for them, do your thing.

IMO, you super cool!!
cehowardrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #38
Tuesday Girl

Default Wiping Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I agree with Rink Rat - in my experience, the vast majority of adults who knock skating (any kind) are just plain scared of falling.
Hence the 95-98% dropout rate.
Yep, and you will fall too. I'm hoping to recover by Tuesday from a wipe-out last Tuesday. I was couple skating, me going backwards, the guy ran his skates into mine and flipped me up, hitting the CROWN of my head, wrenching my neck and shoulders, right arm, back hip bone, all across my butt. Everything is sore.

It's getting better, but I keep wondering if I'm eventually going to do myself in really good one of these nights!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #39
beep1o
beep1o

Just skate with pads and claim you are a derby girl
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM   #40
Jennie
Don't H8, sk8

Sounds like your wife has shallow friends -time to find some "real" friends. Real friends support you no matter what you do, even if they disagree with you. There will be disagreement on what's "cool" and what's not.

I don't have any friends that tell me any of the sports I do aren't "cool." Come on, dog showing and dog sports? None of them are unsupportive of my hobbies or else they wouldn't be friends of mine very long. I've even gotten a few of them to go skating. ) I don't tolerate immature behavior, and nor should you.

There's plenty of really cool people in the world to have as friends. You don't need to take that type of bull from the ones your wife has. Life's too short to have rude people drag you down.
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote