S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Senior Skaters Subforum Proposal

Two forum visitors recently (and separately) suggested we create a new subforum for senior age skaters because it was thought that skaters over a certain age might have different goals and issues then younger skaters.

What do you think about that idea?

If you think it's a good idea, at what age would you consider a skater a "senior" and therefore qualified to post in that subforum?

What topics do you think would fit better in a senior subforum, then (for example) the existing roller dancing, session skating, artistic, speed, or quad skating forums?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #2
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

If people want it, it's fine with me...

I don't care how old I get, I resolve to NEVER post in the Seniors section!

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Drella
alive with pleasure

Actually,, I thought they all were--- you know--- old er' something.....
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #4
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

~
I want a Senior section for latino skaters.
MFND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #5
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

that didnt work as planned.
MFND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
retread

Well, If you look at my avatar, you can probably figure who one of those people were

My reasoning was to make suitable session information easier for a search engine to find. I'd have returned to skating years ago if I had known about the organ sessions in PA and Delaware. And believe me, I searched. I'm sure there are others out there like me, and I think the more people we put in the rinks is better for all skaters!

I found this site a while back, but it's not been active in some time:

http://ridercreations.com/senior/rollerskaters.html

As far as who should be in a senior forum? I think attitude matters more than age, if your only 30 and into Old School stuff, come on in! Need a place to discuss skating with arthritic knees? Where is a rink in your area that caters to the mature skater? That kind of thing.

Thanks Kathie for starting the thread and all you do here!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM   #7
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Kathy knows my views on sub-forums: They're pretty much pointless and achieve very little.

I like to recite the guiding policy of whirlpool.net.au, (arguably)Australia's biggest and best chat forum: A sub-forum will be created only when an existing forum is so overflowing with posts about a specific topic, that the topic itself requires separation. So, in terms of the original topic: can you demonstrate a need for a specific seniors forum? can you point out the overwhelming number of existing posts flooding the forums, thus demanding their logical separation? Can you make a case that if a forum existed it would attract numerous and regular posts that we aren't currently seeing?

Otherwise, you just end up with a huge number of forums with next to no posts in each, and it's quite impossible to find anything, navigate the forum jungle, or for newcomers to even know which forum to post in.

Take a look at the quad specific forums, for example:

Quad roller skating
Quad speed
Quad ebay finds
Quad vert

Now look at the navigation structure - you can't get to any sub-forum from any top-level forum, so if you happen to miss the fact that quad speed isn't under quad roller skating, then you may completely miss the very posts you're looking for, or post off-topic (which will then get u flamed, your post moved, etc...)

BTW: Having a sub-forum won't make any difference to a Google search, either.

If you're gonna have a sub-forum for every dammned topic, well then let's add all of these please:

Quad vert for seniors with hip replacements
inline speed for gay new jersy cowboys without partners
ebay finds you want to boast about but nobody else to bid on
ebay finds you fond interesting but don't want to bin on yourself
ebay finds where you're really the seller (skatelogvertisement)
...etc etc.

Better to stop the insanity now; the forum structure is scrwed up badly enough as-is, thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:13 AM   #8
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Two forum visitors recently (and separately) suggested we create a new subforum for senior age skaters because it was thought that skaters over a certain age might have different goals and issues then younger skaters. absolutely! goals and issues are very different when you return to skating at a later age....The 'fun' is the same, but accomplishing it is our main goal and we certinally need encouragement and idea's sometimes on how to pull it off !!!
What do you think about that idea? It would be nice to try it for a while and see if it works...

If you think it's a good idea, at what age would you consider a skater a "senior" and therefore qualified to post in that subforum?

What topics do you think would fit better in a senior subforum, then (for example) the existing roller dancing, session skating, artistic, speed, or quad skating forums?

- Kathie
Sounds like a good idea... we should try it for a little while.

EDIT: Changed my mind... not such a good idea

Thank You Kathie.... I truly thought it would be a great opportunity here !!!
[/COLOR]

Last edited by NaNaDo; April 23rd, 2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: changed my opinion !
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM   #9
NaNaDo

[QUOTE=retread;142599]Well, If you look at my avatar, you can probably figure who one of those people were

My reasoning was to make suitable session information easier for a search engine to find. I'd have returned to skating years ago if I had known about the organ sessions in PA and Delaware. And believe me, I searched. I'm sure there are others out there like me, and I think the more people we put in the rinks is better for all skaters!

I found this site a while back, but it's not been active in some time:

http://ridercreations.com/senior/rollerskaters.html

As far as who should be in a senior forum? I think attitude matters more than age, if your only 30 and into Old School stuff, come on in! Need a place to discuss skating with arthritic knees? Where is a rink in your area that caters to the mature skater? That kind of thing.

Thanks Kathie for starting the thread and all you do here!

Bob !!!
I found that site too when we first started back skating.... not much information but the pictures are worth their weight in "gold". Not quite there yet but am looking forward to the day I can be as proud as those Senior Skaters are that they are still skating!!!

Thanks for letting me know about this new Thread!!!
See you and Tami next Sunday...

Last edited by NaNaDo; April 22nd, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I like to recite the guiding policy of whirlpool.net.au, (arguably)Australia's biggest and best chat forum:
You guys discuss appliances? Or the fact that whirlpools go the opposite way down there than up here?

I think the good thing about subforums is that you don't have to see posts that are less interesting to you. E.g. if "QUAD SPEED GLORY DAYS" could be in the senior subforum, then I wouldn't click in the Quad Speed forum expecting something new and interesting (to me), when it's just another post about olden times.

Some people are lumpers, some people are splitters...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM   #11
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
You guys discuss appliances? Or the fact that whirlpools go the opposite way down there than up here?

I think the good thing about subforums is that you don't have to see posts that are less interesting to you. E.g. if "QUAD SPEED GLORY DAYS" could be in the senior subforum, then I wouldn't click in the Quad Speed forum expecting something new and interesting (to me), when it's just another post about olden times.

Some people are lumpers, some people are splitters...

AMEN Bill!... you got it !!!

There was a small bunch of us in the thread "PA rinks still open?" .... some how we got the thread turned around and we were talking about a Maryland rink then off on our old timers tangent about organ music sessions...

obviously an old timers subject....

I guess us old timers need a little elbow room too
Thanks Bill !!!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Maybe Life/Family Issues

Hi Kathie, Regina, Bob, RaggedJim, Merlin, ,

Kathie, it is always great when you are thinking about how to help Skaters' growth, communications, and increase posting volume.

Thanks Merlin for your write up.

Perhaps we should have an entire forum upgrade/re-mix. About, Main(maybe?), Beginning, Quad, Aggressive, Artistic, RollerDerby, Advertise, Forum Games, Humour Off-Topic should stay yet I am not sure of the rest including Fitness and Speed which are high hitters yet tend to have great overlaps.

Since Seniors (10<X<70 maybe) already participate in various forums based on interest, the only forum I would suggest is maybe Life/Family Issues. Kind of like the Off-Topic Sub-Forum.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S.-1 Remember a Senior is reading and interested now in another tread
P.S.-2 Ragged Jim, Someday that chest won't be so flat, yet hopefully you will still skate and have a truck.
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM   #13
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

EH????? Somebody say we say we need a blue submarine for wiener bakers?????

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:09 AM   #14
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I realise that's supposed to be humorous.....But obviously you didn't bother to vist the site to actually see what I was talking about, thus missing the point entirely ?!?!?!!?

Whirlpool actually has a filter within a single forum so you can narrow things down should you wish; unfortunately I don't think the software skatelog runs on can duplicate that capability...

Quote:
If only life was so neatly ordered. Unfortunately reality rarely works that way. You are much more likely to miss interesting things if you rely on others to file their posts *your way*, so the only reliable mechanism is to be more inclusive and generalised, rather than ultra-segregated and exclusive.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM   #15
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
My reasoning was to make suitable session information easier for a search engine to find
This particular issue should not be a concern at all, because the search engines - at least Google - seem to "spider" this forum every day, and even several times a day. As long as you make the subject line of each discussion very specific, we will get plenty of relevant traffic from the search engines. An example: In the last few days I started a new discussion and about 10 minutes later I used Google to search this forum for other related discussions and guess what... the discussion I had just started a few minutes before was already in Google search results!

So... it's best to make the title of a discussion as specific as possible, in other words "Skating to Organ Music" is SO much better then (for example) "I Did Something Fun Last Night!". At least if you want other skaters to find our discussions in search results.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Hmmmm....may be a couple problems here. First:

Senior's Forum? There's a Senior's Forum? How come they never told me.

Dad, you just posted on it this morning!

I did? What did I say? Maybe I ought to go back and read it.

Of course, along that same line, you could just post one entry and let them just keep re-reading it. When you've got alzheimers nobody ever repeats themselves and you make new friends everyday.

JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Art G

hmm. stereotyping.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #18
NaNaDo

Default the local Senior Center

Well Kathie... here ya go.... this thread (so far) may answer your question !

Of the 17 postings that are here, 10 of them are based on criticism, grumbling and plain old mockery! Only a couple are based on 'starting a conversation'... Sounds like a typical day at the local Senior Center !!! BTW Skating and great Forums, with threads like this one was intended to be, to discuss and share your skating interests, will help "keep us out of those 'grumbling' Senior Centers" as we age gracefully !!! So sad for the few of us that could enjoy a conversation with others of the same mindset and same memories! I guess we could still interject our, (as Bill in Houston put it) "uninteresting old timers opinions" within other threads !
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #19
Drella
alive with pleasure

^^^

Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #20
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default We have maybe 70 already

Hi NaNaDo(Regina),

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Well Kathie... here ya go.... this thread (so far) may answer your question !

Of the 17 postings that are here, 10 of them are based on criticism, grumbling and plain old mockery! Only a couple are based on 'starting a conversation'... Sounds like a typical day at the local Senior Center !!! BTW Skating and great Forums, with threads like this one was intended to be, to discuss and share your skating interests, will help "keep us out of those 'grumbling' Senior Centers" as we age gracefully !!! So sad for the few of us that could enjoy a conversation with others of the same mindset and same memories! I guess we could still interject our, (as Bill in Houston put it) "uninteresting old timers opinions" within other threads !
I guess you missed the math in my note above (10<x<70) that said we already have more than 10 and maybe less than 70 that could be called Seniors. For example RS Dave is a GrandDad and looks to be missing his family's male balding experience. He was just trying to be funny yet he could be classified a Senior. You know one of those constant wacky senior men that drive the ladies to wince and giggle. BTW when I saw his granddad, son, grandson photo I thought he was one of my brothers or even me which is weird.

If I got going I probably could come up with 50 seniors easily who are regulars on various forums. I think one great poster doesn't even skate anymore yet watches now like mad. Some recent senior names are SkateGuy(from Ohio), Skatervideoguy(Harold from Kansas).

One place you see a lot of seniors or almost seniors coming into the forum is the Beginning Forum. I believe we will continue to see Seniors returning to skating first coming into SkateLog via The Beginning sub-forum.

Regina, Forum reorganization has been discussed before and it is like you are coming into this existing conversation of 70 year olds that has been ongoing.

Here is Kathie's Happy Birthday Thread so you can catch up to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
On August 5. 2007 the SkateLog Forum was one year old, or at least that was the anniversary of the day I purchased the domain name. Happy Birthday SkateLog Forum!

So that brings me to my next topic. You have probably noticed quite a few new subforums appearing in the SkateLog Forum this morning. The reason for creating some of the new subforums was to give Dave's forum visitors a place to keep talking when his quad skating forum shuts down. After I created those, I went ahead and created event folders for several different types of skating.

- Kathie

PS: What a great group we have in this forum. Thank you again everybody, for making this such a fun year in the SkateLog Forum!

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote