S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 11th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #21
Sonny01

I started with my dad's 1948ish 297's I think they were. At least when they actually fell apart in 1969 the 297 was what they best matched up to. They had Gloria Nord plates with all the trucks locked down. I skated on them for another six years before I stopped skating altogether. Thirty six years later my doctor told me I needed more cardio. Since I wasn't getting any cardio at all I figured I'd drag out the old skates and see if I could still do it. Around that time I joined this forum with a ton of questions. Somebody said I needed to change the wheels, bearings and cushions. The right foot, right side wheels were coned, the bearings didn't turn so well because they were so rusty and when I took the trucks apart the cushions turned to dust.
Several different Snyder plates ending with Imperial Lites NTS later and now the Roll Line Ring plates which are fantastic and I'm happy as a clam. Except for the boots. I had a pair of Edea Classica and there was 0 break in time and they were awesome...except I couldn't turn in them because the ankles didn't give so they had to go. I finally retired the 1969 297's and got a pair of 192 Riedells and they hurt my feet unless I leave the laces real loose. So, another pair of 297's is in my future...and I dread the break in time.
Sonny01
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 03:43 PM   #22
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny01 View Post
I started with my dad's 1948ish 297's I think they were. At least when they actually fell apart in 1969 the 297 was what they best matched up to. They had Gloria Nord plates with all the trucks locked down. I skated on them for another six years before I stopped skating altogether. Thirty six years later my doctor told me I needed more cardio. Since I wasn't getting any cardio at all I figured I'd drag out the old skates and see if I could still do it. Around that time I joined this forum with a ton of questions. Somebody said I needed to change the wheels, bearings and cushions. The right foot, right side wheels were coned, the bearings didn't turn so well because they were so rusty and when I took the trucks apart the cushions turned to dust.
Several different Snyder plates ending with Imperial Lites NTS later and now the Roll Line Ring plates which are fantastic and I'm happy as a clam. Except for the boots. I had a pair of Edea Classica and there was 0 break in time and they were awesome...except I couldn't turn in them because the ankles didn't give so they had to go. I finally retired the 1969 297's and got a pair of 192 Riedells and they hurt my feet unless I leave the laces real loose. So, another pair of 297's is in my future...and I dread the break in time.
Sonny01
My inline boots fit really well. And are very stiff, so I only have to tighten up the top two eyelets, the rest is barely snug if that. Also use waxed laces.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:22 AM   #23
BigFoot

Mr. Fierocious1,

I am totally with you on the long plates, but why did you cut down the wheel diameter? Wheelbite? Weight savings? Faster startup speed? Prefer the feel of smaller diameter?

My preference is to go as big as the plates will allow, and bigger diameter for top speed. What's the ding dang deal?
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:07 AM   #24
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Mr. Fierocious1,

I am totally with you on the long plates, but why did you cut down the wheel diameter? Wheelbite? Weight savings? Faster startup speed? Prefer the feel of smaller diameter?

My preference is to go as big as the plates will allow, and bigger diameter for top speed. What's the ding dang deal?
Bigger wheels dont necessarily mean faster speeds. Urethane should be no thicker than a half inch or so, after that it gets really mushy.

Narrower wheels are also better than a 40-44mm width
Old August 14th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #25
fierocious1

Quote:
Mr. Fierocious1,

They were very heavy. Also the big radius on the back side of the wheel moved the tread to the outside. The face is where all the weight is that could be eliminated. So when the face is cut back to the hub you lose app 7 % of the weght. But this makes for a very narrow tread. So diameter gets cut down just enough to get tread width back. I stopped at 73mm. I don't have much issue with boot bite, I can raise the boots easily if needed. I lost app 10% total weight, kept the tread width.

If the wheels had been made without the back side radius, I would have only cut off the outside face to remove extra weight.

Last edited by fierocious1; August 14th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 02:11 PM   #26
ursle
Street Skater

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/256xXzk]

IMHO, you've taken all the worst possible skate parts and assembled a fubar.

The Boots are the worst possible boot to use for roller skating, a hard shell, I know, it's how they skate in GB, but they're BLIMEY. (They might look better if they were orange and black striped )

The Plates are ridiculously long, again IMHO.

The wheels are the silliest, boat anchors attached to skateboards attached to a plastic shell.

If one were at the top of a 5 mile 15degree slope those would be perfect, the perfect tool to hit something at 80mph.

How did a discussion about 101a wheels locking up on wooden floors go full FUBAR?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:20 PM   #27
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursle
IMHO, you've taken all the worst possible skate parts and assembled a fubar.

The Boots are the worst possible boot to use for roller skating, a hard shell, I know, it's how they skate in GB, but they're BLIMEY. (They might look better if they were orange and black striped )

The Plates are ridiculously long, again IMHO.

The wheels are the silliest, boat anchors attached to skateboards attached to a plastic shell.

If one were at the top of a 5 mile 15degree slope those would be perfect, the perfect tool to hit something at 80mph.

How did a discussion about 101a wheels locking up on wooden floors go full FUBAR?
Doesn't take much to make you a hateful little sh!t.

The remedy for the OP has turned into softer bugger wheels, or skating faster, and here we are. I've never been tripped up from debris at speeds above 12 mph or so. Walking speed = danger.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:27 PM   #28
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Doesn't take much to make you a hateful little sh!t.

The remedy for the OP has turned into softer bugger wheels, or skating faster, and here we are. I've never been tripped up from debris at speeds above 12 mph or so. Walking speed = danger.

Why, Thank you Trom.

All we need now is a picture of your skateboards to complete the absurd

IMHO
Old August 14th, 2019, 11:20 PM   #29
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Why, Thank you Trom.

All we need now is a picture of your skateboards to complete the absurd

IMHO
Maybe if you learned how to skate and edge, or socialize even... you wouldnt be so grumpy, overly critical and irritable about what other people make excellent use of. I'm far from the only one running a "skateboard" setup.

The best skaters I know run setups just like mine, also with 0 issues.

If you're content to go slow(ly) in tiny little circles, then no, something like what I use wont be the best fit. Nor would a short forward, art skates come to mind, more so their axle placement choices.

My skate setup would also be a bad choice for loops. What it does get used for... it's perfect. Lateral stability, correctly placed axles for a real feel with the floor and the bodys natural balance points.

Last edited by Mort; August 15th, 2019 at 03:31 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 02:40 AM   #30
fierocious1

Default nothing wrong with long plates

Quote:
Maybe if you learned how to skate and edge, or socialize even... you wouldnt be so grumpy, overly critical and irritable about what other people make excellent use of. I'm far from the only one running a "skateboard" setup.

The best skaters I know run setups just like mine, also with 0 issues.

If you're content to go slow(ly) in tiny little circles, then no, something like what I use wont be the best fit. Nor would a snort forward, art skates come to mind, more so their axle placement choices.

My skate setup would also be a bad choice for loops. What it does get used for... it's perfect. Lateral stability, correctly placed axles for a real feel with the floor and the bodys natural balance points.
My son tryed out my skates and could not turn them. LOL To run long plates it takes time to build up the strength in your calves and ankles to equalize the forces needed. I will never go back to a short plate. 7.75 is the shortest I care to skate. My 8 inch plates are perfect for speed and stability, something that is often said cannot happen with DA45. It's just a fun plate to skate on.
I ain't worried about the negativity from the pretenders...

Finally after years of skating old bearings with no upkeep, threw away 4 bearings this weekend. No problem, dug out some fresher used bearings and installed. Good to go....

Last edited by fierocious1; August 15th, 2019 at 03:48 AM.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:24 PM   #31
Sonny01

I was finally able to get to the OSU Ice Rink today and I forgot it was the second day of student move in and I couldn't park remotely close to the rink. After I bought my one hour parking ticket for $2.25 I started my hike. The girls hockey team was getting their new skates bumped out and they wanted me to leave the skates overnight. I explained that I drove 50 miles to get there so I'll wait but when it was my turn my skates were finished in under an hour.
The summer weekday schedule has ended and Saturday is my next skate day. I'll post my findings.
Sonny01
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 05:49 AM   #32
BigFoot

Now my life is complete. Ppl are starting to see the benefit of jumbo plates. Short forward is dead. A new trend has emerged from the ashes. Long plates will be ordered and toe stops will be hacksaw off so skaters everywhere can relish the new 
“skateboard setup.” Hooray! I say. I can hardly believe it’s happening. I’ve felt alone for so long...so long. The suffering, the despair…it hasn’t been easy. Today the world looks a little brighter.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 08:05 AM   #33
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Now my life is complete. Ppl are starting to see the benefit of jumbo plates. Short forward is dead. A new trend has emerged from the ashes. Long plates will be ordered and toe stops will be hacksaw off so skaters everywhere can relish the new 
“skateboard setup.” Hooray! I say. I can hardly believe it’s happening. I’ve felt alone for so long...so long. The suffering, the despair…it hasn’t been easy. Today the world looks a little brighter.
The backwards skating, think of the backwards skating FFS!
Old August 20th, 2019, 08:33 AM   #34
HeBeGB

Quote:
The backwards skating, think of the backwards skating FFS!
Or is that the "backwards skaters"?
Old August 20th, 2019, 12:12 PM   #35
fierocious1

Quote:
I never bought into short forward. Shorter the plate is the less stable it is. It narrows your balance area/position over the skate. I like comfortable skating.
Old August 20th, 2019, 01:30 PM   #36
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I never bought into short forward. Shorter the plate is the less stable it is. It narrows your balance area/position over the skate. I like comfortable skating.
As has been typed, over and over.
Shorter Plates Require Superior Balance and Skill.

Long Plates are heavier, slower and not as much FUN.

Take advice with a grain of salt.
Old August 21st, 2019, 05:21 AM   #37
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
As has been typed, over and over.
Shorter Plates Require Superior Balance and Skill.

Long Plates are heavier, slower and not as much FUN.

Take advice with a grain of salt.
Wrong.

Short plates are slower than longer plates. Be it quads , inlines, or even ice.

I have a sh!toad of fun on my quads that most would call a "skateboard" .

Fun is had by the ability to push the limits of your gear, sorry short plates have quickly reached limits of speed, and that slow speed isnt much fun when I could easily run faster.

Heavier... that's so laughable. Let's check the weight difference.

Arius plate for example.

The weight between a size 3 and a size 12 is LESS THAN 1 OUNCE. Lol.

How about a traditional kingpin design?

Oh lookie there, just under 2 ounces separates the smallest plate with the largest plate. 124mm vs 192mm 1.9 grams... soo heavy... and that is at the most extreme end. In reality it would be less than an ounce you are saving.

Completely stupid to think that weight would matter.
Old August 21st, 2019, 03:01 PM   #38
ursle
Street Skater

Well, that's an opinion, doesn't make a word of it correct, but it's an opinion.

Couldn't care less about the weight of an arius or powerdyne, but a boen short plate weight would be nice.

A boen 5 degree plate isn't going to be effected by speed, it's going to be faster because it can be placed further forward when stepping down, allowing for a longer stroke, true for ice and inline blades, longer is faster because the toe is longer offering a longer stroke when pushing.

Roller skates have always been speed dominated by short forward.

Real roller skates.
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:48 PM   #39
fierocious1

Quote:
Wrong.

Short plates are slower than longer plates. Be it quads , inlines, or even ice.

I have a sh!toad of fun on my quads that most would call a "skateboard" .

Fun is had by the ability to push the limits of your gear, sorry short plates have quickly reached limits of speed, and that slow speed isnt much fun when I could easily run faster.

Heavier... that's so laughable. Let's check the weight difference.

Arius plate for example.

The weight between a size 3 and a size 12 is LESS THAN 1 OUNCE. Lol.

How about a traditional kingpin design?

Oh lookie there, just under 2 ounces separates the smallest plate with the largest plate. 124mm vs 192mm 1.9 grams... soo heavy... and that is at the most extreme end. In reality it would be less than an ounce you are saving.

Completely stupid to think that weight would matter.
My amuminum plates weighed less than my White Magnums did. Still haven't broken any plates or boot soles out.
Old August 21st, 2019, 11:57 PM   #40
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
My amuminum plates weighed less than my White Magnums did. Still haven't broken any plates or boot soles out.

S/A trucks with titanium hangers and axles or D/A 45 with steel axles?

I'm from Missouri, show me.

Are your skates faster than short forward Boens?

Which are acknowledged universally as the fasted quad plates.

Better put up a picture, it will be a more believable source.

Make it pink.

And wink your pink .....