S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Catcandi

Default 1980's Skating Reunion / Frances Strickland Cancer Benefit - Ormond Beach, FL

Host: Paul Strickland / Denise Smith

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Denise Smith Collins
Frances Strickland Cancer Benefit Coordinator
Daytona Beach, FL
386-316-2438

1980’s Starlite Skaters Reunite for Cancer Benefit in Honor of Frances Strickland

Ormond Beach, FL (October 2, 2009) – Employees and fans of Starlite Skating Centers in the 1980’s are reuniting Saturday, October 10th to raise cancer awareness and honor Frances Louise Moore Strickland, the Starlite matriarch, who passed away in April of this year.

Cousins, Paul Strickland and Denise Smith Collins of Daytona Beach, reveal the idea started as an 80’s era skating reunion and blossomed into this cancer benefit when they suffered the devastating loss of their grandmother Frances after her long battle with breast cancer. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and this disease has touched so many families, this benefit is a great way to support cancer research for a cure. As a founder of Starlite Skating Centers and active in the daily operation, generations of employees and patrons knew Frances Strickland. Collins says, “She was a loving homemaker and family lady who became like a mother or grandmother to many of the employees and youth who passed through the Starlite doors over the years.” People are flying and driving in from all over the country, traveling as far as 900 miles from Delaware, to attend the event.

Frances Strickland and her husband JT Strickland opened the first skating rink in the area in 1947, called Skateland. It was in Holly Hill just north of 6th Street. They then moved the rink to where the parking lot is now for Daytona State College. They opened a rink in South Daytona in 1971, now called Skate City and in 1975 opened the rink in Ormond Beach now called Skate and Shake. The Stricklands owned seven Starlite Skate Centers in Florida, two in Georgia and two in South Carolina. JT Strickland died in 1990, but Francis continued to run the businesses for seven years until she sold them and retired in 1997.

“It is a great way to honor my grandmother for all she and my grandfather, JT Strickland, gave to our community through their hard work and dedication to our youth,” says Paul Strickland. Skaters and people of all ages will gather from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on October 10th at Skate and Shake, 260 North US1 in Ormond Beach, the site of the old Starlite Skating Center. This event is open to the public and everyone is welcome to attend. Admission is free for children 6 years old and younger, $10 for children 7-12 years old and $20 for everyone 13 years and older. Admission includes three hours of skating and a free soda from the snack bar. Adults will also receive three raffle tickets for prizes. The family of Frances Strickland will honor her by donating all benefit proceeds to a local cancer organization in her name.

For more information on how you can help this great cause or to make a donation, please call
386-316-2438.

- END -

Last edited by Catcandi; October 3rd, 2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Event Update
Catcandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #2
xlracer

Wow reading this brings back some great memories for me. Mine are from the 70's. I skated for Gateway Rollerdrome in 1975. That year your family hosted the southern regional meet at that rink in Ormand Beach. I still have a jacket in with my old uniforms with all of my regional patches on it. That was a great time for competitive skating. I will always cherish my skating days back in Florida. I wish I could be there in October.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote