S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old May 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Default Dinosaur Oil

Dinosaur carcasses are suppose to be the main suppliers of Oil today, or so I have told. My question is, "how many dinsaurs would have had to live, then die and decopose, and not be eaten, to have left all that Dino Fat". There would have to have Dinos shoulder to shoulder east coast to west coast. Figure a nice fat Dino, maybe would leave, what, 55 gals of oil maybe. The way I see it--we would have used up all the Dino oil, in about a week.---My thoughts are Oil is a natural substance, to the planet. I think more is being produced daily. We just use it to fast. I got no facts at all to support my theory. But then I'm not one to let a few facts get in the way of a good story.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #2
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

I've heard that theory before...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=38645

I still would like to see other sources of fuel for transportation, be it hydrogen, electric, or ???.

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I've heard that theory before...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=38645

I still would like to see other sources of fuel for transportation, be it hydrogen, electric, or ???.

Rg
Really?? Cool. Well if there is more than just one of us---we're on a roll.----I just now saw the link, and am much impressed. I have brought my theory up on other forums, just to get a general feeling of it's worth. Most just laughed, and said I was nuts. (nothin out of the ordinary there) But this is the first time I ever heard there was any corroborating evidence, to support it. would you mind if I copy that link, and share with some Nay sayers??

Last edited by Skateguy; June 2nd, 2008 at 02:43 AM.
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Seņor Raggedo,

Is that avatar a screen capture from Kung Fu Hustle? I loved that flick.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #5
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Si, I mean, oui...

Rg
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Larry_PA
When life was simple

Not exactly just dinosaurs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_fuel

PS...ever wonder how good the earth smelled with millions of dinosaurs doing there business wherever they pleased? For Millions of years!!!!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM   #7
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Really?? Cool. Well if there is more than just one of us---we're on a roll.----I just now saw the link, and am much impressed. I have brought my theory up on other forums, just to get a general feeling of it's worth. Most just laughed, and said I was nuts. (nothin out of the ordinary there) But this is the first time I ever heard there was any corroborating evidence, to support it. would you mind if I copy that link, and share with some Nay sayers??

Feel free, it's not my site...

Rg
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Malkovsky

Who needs oil when you have natural gas!? I'm trying to modify my vehicle to run on farts! I just didn't figure out the system yet I'm hoping to get 50 miles per fart..I already figured out how to cover up the smell....http://www.reliablepaper.com/v/vspfi...2979929-2T.jpg if you put that in your exhaust it will smell like fresh cloths. It was tested in my friends underpants and really works...now our farts really smell like roses....
Malkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:26 AM   #9
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_PA View Post
Not exactly just dinosaurs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_fuel

PS...ever wonder how good the earth smelled with millions of dinosaurs doing there business wherever they pleased? For Millions of years!!!!
This is known as the biogenic "theory" and was first introduced by Georg Agricola in 1556 and later by Mikhail Lomonosov in 1757. There is an opposing more modern theory that the more volatile hydrocarbons, especially natural gas, are formed by abiogenic processes, that is no living material was involved in their formation.----------- When I was a kid, we were told oil was from "decomposed Animal and Plant Life" I remember asking then, "then how come cows are eaten, mostly and the rest drys up and blows away and barley leave a wet spot"?? Needless to say, that bit of logic went no where in 62. It was their way, or the highway back then. No free thinkin aloud.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Wolfgang

Instead of 'dinosaurs' just read 'all organisms that have been dead long enough to turn into black sludge'.
Includes trees 'n' stuff.......
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Instead of 'dinosaurs' just read 'all organisms that have been dead long enough to turn into black sludge'.
Includes trees 'n' stuff.......
Sorry but being brought up in the Woods--I never saw anything turn into sludge. All animals are eaten. First, if a predater killed it, they eat their share. Then the buzzards and coyotes. and anything else that needs a meal take most of what is left. Then lots of smaller animals divide up their share. Maggots pick what is left clean to the bone. Then most of the Marrow carrying bone is eaten. The hide is picked clean of all fatty-fleshy tissue. What is left is dried bone, and rawhide. Worms and beetles eat anything that gets on the ground. So unless nature changed, I feel things that die have always been eaten. There is just not enough left to form a spoonful of oil. That's the way I see it anyhow.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #12
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Sorry but being brought up in the Woods--I never saw anything turn into sludge. All animals are eaten. First, if a predater killed it, they eat their share. Then the buzzards and coyotes. and anything else that needs a meal take most of what is left. Then lots of smaller animals divide up their share. Maggots pick what is left clean to the bone. Then most of the Marrow carrying bone is eaten. The hide is picked clean of all fatty-fleshy tissue. What is left is dried bone, and rawhide. Worms and beetles eat anything that gets on the ground. So unless nature changed, I feel things that die have always been eaten. There is just not enough left to form a spoonful of oil. That's the way I see it anyhow.
...and what happens to all the bones that aren't eaten or fossilized?

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #13
speedysktr
President of Everything

they're ground up and made into bread
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #14
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
...and what happens to all the bones that aren't eaten or fossilized?

----Scott
Right, but that won't make them turn to oil---just fossilized bones. Which they find near the surface all the time, not thousands of feet underground, and in the gulf, and even the North Sea. How did they get there? Some one mentioned plant life. But all the plants I have ever seen die, just dry up and turn to dust. So where in the World did all those massive pools of oil come from, and why are they only in certain places?? Just seems to make sense to me, that the earth just produces gas and oil as part of it's thing. I got no proof, but it makes more sense to me.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #15
Nostalgic

For many millions of years most of the surface of the planet was covered by dense jungle. The trees of that jungle eventually died, fell over and were covered over by other plants. In addition there were more volcanoes in the earlier days and they periodically covered over large stretches of jungle, not all of which would have burned. Even today in jungles and forests you can find dense mats of vegetation covering the ground.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #16
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
For many millions of years most of the surface of the planet was covered by dense jungle. The trees of that jungle eventually died, fell over and were covered over by other plants. In addition there were more volcanoes in the earlier days and they periodically covered over large stretches of jungle, not all of which would have burned. Even today in jungles and forests you can find dense mats of vegetation covering the ground.
Agreed, but at what point has anyone ever seen it turn to "Crude oil"? Trees and plant life eventually decompose, and are used by new plants as nourishment---Plants eat their own, in a manner of speaking. A tree only contains so much liguid, and can not make more than it has. And unless plants were growing on the bottom of several Oceans and Seas there is a problem with that theory on many levels.

Last edited by Skateguy; June 4th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #17
Nostalgic

I don't know the chemistry but oil, coal, etc, are primarily carbon just like living things are. The plants are covered over one way or another and are not devoured by anything. They are then subjected to intense pressure and heat as that part of the earth gradually moves lower into the earth. The pressure and heat in an oxygen free environment causes the chemical changes.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
I don't know the chemistry but oil, coal, etc, are primarily carbon just like living things are. The plants are covered over one way or another and are not devoured by anything. They are then subjected to intense pressure and heat as that part of the earth gradually moves lower into the earth. The pressure and heat in an oxygen free environment causes the chemical changes.
Yep that what they taught us also, in the forth grade. It made no sense to me then, and even less now that I can think on my own. Plus I don't beleive half of what I am told just on general principals. --don't misunderstand me, I'm saying anyone is wrong--- I have no proof, and my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. But it sounds to me like you are saying the "pressure" comes from above, rather than the interior of the Earth, forcing the crust downward. Interesting, --but what would create that force?? Volcanos and Mountain ranges are pushed up from with in the planet, if I'm not mistaken. Not down.
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Nostalgic

Some parts of the crust are always moving up while some parts move down. As a result the surface of the earth is constantly changing. What is on the surface eventually moves down into the depths while what was once deep underground moves to the surface. If some parts weren't moving downward volcanoes and increasing mountain size from plate tectonics would have made the earth hollow.
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #20
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Some parts of the crust are always moving up while some parts move down. As a result the surface of the earth is constantly changing. What is on the surface eventually moves down into the depths while what was once deep underground moves to the surface. If some parts weren't moving downward volcanoes and increasing mountain size from plate tectonics would have made the earth hollow.
Yet they find Dino bones quite near the surface, as well as their foot prints in old river beds. Maybe the earth is like a big jelly filled do-nut.