S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Funkmaster Andy

Default Been skating 4 about two days now...

I am finding that even 10kph is too fast!! I also can't stop without slamming into anything
Can any of you more experienced skaters help me out? It would be much appreciated
Funkmaster Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #2
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Just keep practicing...maybe start out where there are no cars rolling about.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #3
b3eyes

stopping techniques have been discussed to hell and beyond, read through the beginner forum, you'll find many threads on it...as well as other things that might help you...if you still need help, feel free to ask

welcome to the world of skating!
b3eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmaster Andy View Post
I am finding that even 10kph is too fast!! I also can't stop without slamming into anything
Can any of you more experienced skaters help me out? It would be much appreciated
In all likelihood the greatest confidence in skating will come with balance and the ability to stop, neither a particular forte for me, hence the third contributing factor "reckless abandon", not advisable. Start somewhere with no "roll", totally flat ground, if necessary start on the grass, or a tennis court or cork track, they don't roll for crap. Practice sliding one foot forward and pulling it back, that's "scissoring", sort of like doing a forward split. Learn to do it readily with either foot. That is the first step in using your heel brake effectively and is also the preferred way to wide over transitions in pavement, or any uneven surface, i.e. speed bumps, railroad tracks, tar snakes. Next, try sliding one foot behind you and sideways, just let it make a casual arc until it is perpendicular to the gliding foot. Learn this with both feet as well, it is the major portion of a "T" stop. Practice one legged balancing on your living room carpet, without skates first, then with skates. Once you develop fair balance, practice applying the pressure for heel braking and "T" stopping. Once you have those under control you'll be looking for 30kph! JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #5
SeJoWa

Andy, the good news is, you can make progress happen. See Jon's excellent reply above.

It can, however, be pretty frustrating at times. Don't let yourself be discouraged! When I started out, I thought that simply standing in skates was fun. Heck, I still think so.

Try to go places and keep to speeds, however slow, that let you control the skating. The words to remember being "slow" and "control". Don't be shy about taking it to extremes, you'll usually find that the next time on skates will show some improvement. If not, try something else, it'll come together at a later point.

Learning how to brake is a top priority. Also, try some gentle spills to gain some trust in your protective gear.
SeJoWa is offline   Reply With Quote