S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

View Poll Results: If you're wearing all silver jewelry but your wedding ring is yellow gold, do you...
Take off your wedding ring and wear something silver. 1 4.76%
Wear your wedding ring anyway cause, hey, it's your wedding ring. 15 71.43%
Buy a second wedding ring in silver, white gold, or platinum. 4 19.05%
Wear gold jewelry instead. 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #81
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

[QUOTE=MadCow333;167058]Here's the short course. Sorry if it offends anyone but these are the facts nowadays:

1. Yellow gold went out when I wasn't paying attention , sometime between 1995 and 2004, when I dropped back in. It was replaced by white metals: Platinum, white gold (14k, 18k), and later, palladium. Yellow gold reportedly is trying to make a comeback, mostly in vintage looks, but so far, I don't see it making much headway. Bold yellow gold is not hugely popular. Most of it is sitting injewel boxes or is getting sold since all metals shot up in price.

/QUOTE]

Having been married for 15 years I would never sell my gold wedding band just because it isn't "trendy" But I am a very empathic person, and consider how my actions affect others (especially my wife and son).

You're not married so you can buy what you want without considering another persons feelings.

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #82
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

This is all to be expected when a Culture trades what's valuable, for what is trendy---all in keeping with the times. Never confuse fashion with style.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #83
BleeckerSt_Girl

Hey this is just my own personal taste mind you....but I find all those gaudy scroll-laden jewel-encrusted baubles to be the total opposite of elegant, regardless of whether the stones are real or not. It's the Joan Collins School of Fashion.
To each their own.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #84
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I prefer a nice round river rock--they're good for chunkin
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #85
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
Hey this is just my own personal taste mind you....but I find all those gaudy scroll-laden jewel-encrusted baubles to be the total opposite of elegant, regardless of whether the stones are real or not. It's the Joan Collins School of Fashion.
To each their own.
You had the guts to say what I was hesitant to mention...

10 points to B.St.G.

Rg
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #86
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
You had the guts to say what I was hesitant to mention...

10 points to B.St.G.

Rg
Hey thanks....but I just noticed Joan and I are wearing the same color scheme! Aaaaaaggghhhhhh!
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #87
MadCow333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
To each their own.
Well, yay-us, suuuhtenly, but Aah ooon-ly wear *one* of thah-um at a time, Daaahh-ling..

I personally do find them both tasteful and elegant, and y'all might be surprised at how many long-time yellow gold wearers do, too. Fair warning: Times change, and women who cook, do dishes, clean house, and shuttle kids around would like to see a little glitter every once in a while. I was thrilled to see some artistic ring settings and semimounts finally hit the market. When you're single, you Shirley to Dog do not want anything that looks strictly like an engagement solitaire or a wedding ring, no matter which hand or which finger it is worn on, LOL. They are all from different times, they are history, they are the elegant or the trendy of bygone eras.

From upper left, wrapping around: '20s / '30s Art Deco; '40s-era into the '50s cocktail insert ring; Art Nouveau reproduction cocktail/dinner ring ; '50s - '60s wedding set; 2007 remount that has Art Nouveau leanings.

<pout> Nobody even asked which ones are real, LOL.

If I ever remarry, and that looks unlikely, I think I'll tell the guy to skip the ring altogether. I'll just yank one of those centers and have it remounted in a tastefully elegant Stuller Solstice solitaire, LOL. Rest assured that I have always earned my own income and totally paid my own way. No man's back was broken in pursuit of money to fund the tastless baubles collection, hehe. I bought them myself. No husband, no kids, nobody but myself to account to. I didn't set out to go in that direction, but why not make the best of the situation. There were some shrewd horse trades involved along the way. That makes the hunt even more fun. Buy low, sell high, trade up.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #88
sk8crazy

My tastes lie along the same lines as Bleeker. I prefer simpler, less ornate jewellery. Everyone has their own style.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #89
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
Well, yay-us, suuuhtenly, but Aah ooon-ly wear *one* of thah-um at a time, Daaahh-ling..

I personally do find them both tasteful and elegant, and y'all might be surprised at how many long-time yellow gold wearers do, too. Fair warning: Times change, and women who cook, do dishes, clean house, and shuttle kids around would like to see a little glitter every once in a while. I was thrilled to see some artistic ring settings and semimounts finally hit the market. When you're single, you Shirley to Dog do not want anything that looks strictly like an engagement solitaire or a wedding ring, no matter which hand or which finger it is worn on, LOL. They are all from different times, they are history, they are the elegant or the trendy of bygone eras.

From upper left, wrapping around: '20s / '30s Art Deco; '40s-era into the '50s cocktail insert ring; Art Nouveau reproduction cocktail/dinner ring ; '50s - '60s wedding set; 2007 remount that has Art Nouveau leanings.

<pout> Nobody even asked which ones are real, LOL.

If I ever remarry, and that looks unlikely, I think I'll tell the guy to skip the ring altogether. I'll just yank one of those centers and have it remounted in a tastefully elegant Stuller Solstice solitaire, LOL. Rest assured that I have always earned my own income and totally paid my own way. No man's back was broken in pursuit of money to fund the tastless baubles collection, hehe. I bought them myself. No husband, no kids, nobody but myself to account to. I didn't set out to go in that direction, but why not make the best of the situation. There were some shrewd horse trades involved along the way. That makes the hunt even more fun. Buy low, sell high, trade up.
MadCow, you have a good attitude about life, I think everyone would be more content if they stopped relying on other people to supply their happiness...

Kind off subject but when we were kids we used to round off nickles (nickles used to have a higher silver content) by beating the edges with a spoon and then my grandfather would drill them out and make rings out of them. I found one at my mom's house last year and it's one of my prized possesions. He died about 24 years ago, but he did some neat things when we were kids...

Rg
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM   #90
lynnala

Get her the new ring! Maybe she never liked the original one in the first place and is not sentimental. It's not a big deal, just buy it for her!
lynnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM   #91
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I think everyone would be more content if they stopped relying on other people to supply their happiness...
Oh ya! I think true happiness must come from within first. All the rest, well, that's the icing.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote