S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old May 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Default I’m back.

Good body, every evening.

I hadn’t intended to take a vacation from Skatelog, it just kinda worked out that way. My life has been a bit hectic lately, and things worked themselves into an imperfect storm that screwed up the first two weeks of my summer. Oh well, could have been worse.

First thing is that I came home from work one afternoon to find a close friend sitting on my doorstep, freshly homeless. Needless to say, we took her in. This turned out a bit differently than we had expected, as she has some problems, the scope and severity of which we were not previously aware of.

Combine that with my situation at work, which is a combination of frustration and despair coupled with an intense push to complete two important projects so that I can walk away from that horrible place with a sense of completion and a more impressive résumé. That meant that my 9–5 life was very stressful (especially since it’s often a 7–5 life) and that I was coming home to an equal (if not greater) amount of a different type of stress.

Then there was the DC trip, which was cut short by a horrific knee injury courtesy of some very inept patchwork on a certain former trolley trail. That was not what I needed, as it took away my main emotional outlet by forcing me to stay off skates for two weeks (although I was able to resume cycling after the first week). And if I was to have any hope of actually staying off skates until my knee had mostly healed, hanging out here wasn’t really an option. I’m sure you understand. (And if not, I’m sure you understand that I don’t give a damn.)

So what did I miss, huh? Has our resident troll finally packed up and left? Has everyone finally agreed that Hyper Stripes really do suck? Has the State of Georgia’s DOT gotten around to tamping down them hills so I might have a reasonable shot at actually finishing A2A?
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

WB Bryan.. you were missed.

SO sorry to hear about your injury and the other stresses that you ave faced lately. Hopefully all will correct itself quickly and without complications.

As for the Log.. all is the same but I still love it!
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Has our resident troll finally packed up and left?
Which one? Never mind, no matter which, the answer is no.
Quote:
Has everyone finally agreed that Hyper Stripes really do suck?
That was pretty well whipped by the time you deserted us.
Quote:
Has the State of Georgia’s DOT gotten around to tamping down them hills so I might have a reasonable shot at actually finishing A2A?
Yep, they got that done.

Glad you're back. Hope your knee is doing well and the rest of all of it is resolving too...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4
sk8scott

Welcome back! Sorry to hear that the hole in your knee kept you off your skates for 2 weeks. I guess that rail-trail is not a vegetarian!

Hope the work situation takes care of itself before too long, and that your friend doesn't consume too much of your energy.

A troll or two helps to keep the forums lively. I like to feed trolls because there aren't any under the many bridges I've skated over & under here in Vermont. Maybe the cold winters chased them away, but my guess is that they starved because nobody would feed them. They seem to be an endangered species. So, be sure to feed the trolls!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #5
bheater777

Default welcome back

Thank GOD you're back. Without your good-hearted posts, the forum took a big hit for sure. There has been a lot of entertaining jousting, somewhat narcisistic I would say. Bill in Houston as added some Jimmy Stewart style charm to the threads. You and Bill have to keep things light around here.

Hey, I traveled up to Bur Mill state park and skated the greenway a bit, close to where you met for your Eddie M roadshow, perhaps where you did your actual training... (I was blind, but) Now I see the flatwoods (Tampa) style of speedskating training in all its glorious rythmic smoothness, vs the moderately course, hilly route I've been doing for a year.

So what did you do to your knee? Bruce
bheater777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheater777 View Post
Bill in Houston as added some Jimmy Stewart style charm to the threads.
Oh, man, if you think I'M like Jimmy Stewart, you should meet Bryan some day. Just a bubbling font of old-timey good-naturedness.

Quote:
So what did you do to your knee? Bruce
Eww. He made Bryan Tartare.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
Hope the work situation takes care of itself before too long
Once I finish these two projects, I’m outa there. Anybody want a slightly used db developer with a serious urethane habit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
and that your friend doesn't consume too much of your energy.
One voluntary committal later, and we’re now doing our best to help her from a slightly more, uhh, relaxed distance.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Hey, I traveled up to Bur Mill state park and skated the greenway a bit, close to where you met for your Eddie M roadshow
The one with the bit down by the lake? Isn’t that awesome? If I had places like that around here, I might even take up skating!

Quote:
perhaps where you did your actual training...
No, that would be over by GCC near the Fresh Market… personally, I can’t think of a better place to do many hours of skate training than within sight of a Fresh Market.

Quote:
Now I see the flatwoods (Tampa) style of speedskating training in all its glorious rythmic smoothness, vs the moderately course, hilly route I've been doing for a year.
Ehh, the hills put hair on your chest! (after they steal it from yer knees!)

Quote:
So what did you do to your knee?
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...0&postcount=93
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
belladonna

Welcome back, I missed your posts. I hope that knee's healing, glad I didn't click the link while I was eating Chuckling about your sudden visitor, a few yrs ago one of hubby's friends showed up in what sounds like similar weird situation, also ended in a trip to a med facility. 12 yrs of knowing this guy, I'm happy to say he finally got his act together. Take care, hope you're back to skating!

You and I have found out that being normal sucks, because we're freaks. The advantage of being a freak is it makes you stronger.--House
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #10
ppipowerclass

Well, i don't know you (yet.lol). But i give you a big thumbs up for helping someone out that was in need. I have been there, on both ends before.
ppipowerclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #11
sk8scott

Quote:
One voluntary committal later, and we’re now doing our best to help her from a slightly more, uhh, relaxed distance.
That must be a big relief. It's sometimes hard to be supportive without getting sucked into the vortex. Good for her that she recognized the need to get treatment.

Good luck on the hill training for A2A. I think "rolling Hells" would be an apt description for the terrain!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #12
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Good body, every evening.

I hadn’t intended to take a vacation from Skatelog, it just kinda worked out that way. My life has been a bit hectic lately, and things worked themselves into an imperfect storm that screwed up the first two weeks of my summer. Oh well, could have been worse.

First thing is that I came home from work one afternoon to find a close friend sitting on my doorstep, freshly homeless. Needless to say, we took her in. This turned out a bit differently than we had expected, as she has some problems, the scope and severity of which we were not previously aware of.

Combine that with my situation at work, which is a combination of frustration and despair coupled with an intense push to complete two important projects so that I can walk away from that horrible place with a sense of completion and a more impressive résumé. That meant that my 9–5 life was very stressful (especially since it’s often a 7–5 life) and that I was coming home to an equal (if not greater) amount of a different type of stress.

Then there was the DC trip, which was cut short by a horrific knee injury courtesy of some very inept patchwork on a certain former trolley trail. That was not what I needed, as it took away my main emotional outlet by forcing me to stay off skates for two weeks (although I was able to resume cycling after the first week). And if I was to have any hope of actually staying off skates until my knee had mostly healed, hanging out here wasn’t really an option. I’m sure you understand. (And if not, I’m sure you understand that I don’t give a damn.)

So what did I miss, huh? Has our resident troll finally packed up and left? Has everyone finally agreed that Hyper Stripes really do suck? Has the State of Georgia’s DOT gotten around to tamping down them hills so I might have a reasonable shot at actually finishing A2A?

There you are - what have you been up to? Ohh you just wrote that

One thing I will say - I still have nightmares over that one close-up-photo of your knee, the one where you can see the chip that you flicked of your knee cap... Ok maybe not that deep, but mind you guys, I was sitting eating dinner, and reading emails and get this nice email - with a warning though - but I'm a tough cookie so I open it. Well - farewell appetite... Did you post them??

Welcome back!!

Get ready for A2A the hills are great and know you've already taken a spill on your knee, so thats over and done with...
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Did you post them??
Yeah, in the boo-boo thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Get ready for A2A the hills are great and know you've already taken a spill on your knee, so thats over and done with...
Oh, I’ve taken many hits to the knee over the years. This was just the most atrocious, but certainly not the christening of that joint. The real pisser of all this is that I’m generally very good at skidding on a kneepad and popping back up with most of my forward momentum intact. But this one time…