S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default SkateLog T-Shirts - Lot #1

Our T-Shirt project never happened over at Ask About Skating, because selecting something to please everybody got a little complicated, but I would like to resurrect the idea. I am willing to front the money for an initial run of shirts, but could use some help generating the artwork, and I'm not sure who we should use as a supplier.

FRONT OF THE SHIRT:
My suggestion is for the front of the shirts to have two lines centered on the chest: SkateLog Forum on the first line and www.skatelogforum.com in smaller letters on the second line.

BACK OF THE SHIRT:
Usually when I order t-shirts for my skating Web sites, I have them printed with "Ask Me About Skating" in rather large letters on the back because it really does encourage people to come up and start a conversation. It gives me many opportunities to make new friends and promote our sport at the grassroots level.

I'm thinking we should not use an image for this first run of shirts, so they will be suitable for all types of skaters from aggressive to speed. Any opinions on this?

FABRIC, STYLE, COLOR, AND SUPPLIER:
If we go with a supplier like Cafe Press or Zazzle, you guys would be able to choose between several different sizes, styles, and colors on the fly, but I don't think those two vendors carry athlete-friendly fabrics such as Coolmax. If we order silkscreened shirts, we would need to select color, style, and sizes in advance. There are a ton of suppliers out there... we just need to select one who can meet our needs. Here are some custom clothing vendors in the Open Directory: Custom Apparel Suppliers

So again, I will pay for a run of shirts, and you guys can reimburse me for the cost of each shirt later, if I can get some help generating high quality artwork and selecting a supplier.
  • What do you guys think of my suggestion for the front and back of the shirts?
  • What color shirt and lettering should we order?
  • Do you have a favorite t-shirt make and model?
  • What supplier should we use?
The artwork we need would be simple, so I might be able to generate it myself, but I wouldn't mind getting some help with that. T-shirts WILL happen this time if I can get some help with the project.

Any thoughts?

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 23rd, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
Our T-Shirt project never happened over at Ask About Skating, because selecting something to please everybody got a little complicated, but I would like to ressurect the idea. I am willing to front the money for an initial run of shirts, but could use some help generating the artwork, and I'm not sure who we should use as a supplier.
- Kathie
That's exactly what I figured happened. Not knowing much about such things, or artwork, I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I will tell you that whatever you make, I'll buy. It doesn't have to satisfy any particular attire dream of mine, just a shirt to signify association. Thanks for everything, Jon.
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Without being too difficult, I would like to suggest a color other than white or gray. I have so many white and gray skating shirts already. Something bright and colorful IMO. It would definitely attract attention. I think you men are confident enough in yourselves to wear pepto bismol pink...
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

<< I would like to suggest a color other than white or gray. I have so many white and gray skating shirts already >>

Good idea Jessica, because if we select a distinctive color it will be easier to recognize each other from a distance and in skating photos. I think pink will not fly with some of the guys, but I'll find a pallette of t-shirt colors on the Web and post it here so we can vote on our favorites.

- Kathie

PS: I would help if we had a few shirt makes and models in mind, so we could see what colors are available in that shirt.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Code Monkey

Ok, I won't be offended if everyone calls me crazy. Here is my idea.

Tie dye. One very easy to spot in a get together or race. Next when you don't wear it your child will take it away from you and use it as sleep wear.

As far a logo or text I'm thinking about it. Of course I think we should go with what you think Kathie because after all you are the instigator of this wonderful site.

More later.
Dave
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Tie die would make it hard to see the graphics from any distance.

I suggest a safety yellow (the more greenish-yellow that you see from manufacturers like Pearl Izumi). That way, it could also double as a saftey shirt for lower light skating.

example:
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #7
bermuda_skater

Thumbs up tshirt printer

My club uses an online printing company.. Excellent service and quality product..

http://www.customink.com
bermuda_skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #8
online inline

No safety yellow or neon lime green, like Speedysktr said. Last year's Northshore T-shirts were a forescent lime green/yellow, and were universally hated by everyone.

Also, Mario made some really great t-shirts for the Spokane Inline Marathon for the last two years, that everybody loved. Since they are coolmax (a lycra/spandex like material), i often see people excercising and skaiting in them. It's not just a t-shirt, it becomes a really good workout shirt. They were a big success. Maybe i can get a pic of one for you.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Code Monkey

What's wrong with my elastic waist denim shorts, need I mention I also have a tie dye pair?

your fashion consultant,
Code
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #10
skaterdog

I'm on board for a couple of shirts. I like the fact that Kathie is going with the coolmax type of shirt.

I'd prefer a color that I can wear out in public.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Thanks Online Inline! Do you know the make and model of the shirts Mario used for the Spokane Inline Marathon, and do you know where he ordered the shirts?

- Kathie
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #12
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Here are some plain coolmax t-shirts - colors are kind of blah though. And expensive!! I do like the navy...

http://www.sweatitout.com/store/products.php

My running coach puts together a longsleeve polyester shirt for Gasparilla every year, and we get them for free, so they can't be that expensive. I'll have to ask him next week where he gets them.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

OK, it's finally done! I place an order today for the first batch of SkateLog Forum t-shirts. The shirts will be the sage green, CoolMax, short sleeve, crew neck shirts on this page: CoolMax T-Shirts.

SIZES:
The shirts come in small, medium, large, and extra large, and I have asked the supplier to measure each shirt from sideseam to sideseam so you will know which size to order. I will post that information here when I receive it.

FRONT AND BACK IMAGE:
The front of the shirt will say SkateLog Forum on one line and www.skatelogforum.com on the second line in smaller letters. The back of the shirt will say "Ask Me About Skating" in letters large enough to read from a distance. The shirts will be sage green and the printing will probably be white. We can always do something different with the next batch of shirts.

COST:
For this first batch of shirts, I will cover the shipping and the one-time artwork and silkscreen costs myself, so the price of each shirt will be $15, which covers the cost of the shirt + a per-shirt printing fee. I might mark-up the shirts later, but for now there is no mark-up or shipping fee for our forum members.

HOW TO ORDER:
I'm not collecting money yet, and you don't have to send your size yet, but if you are certain you want to order a shirt, please post a note in this thread or send email to kathiefry@skatelog.com. That will let me know if I need to increase the number of shirts in this first order. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not include your street address or phone number in any messages you post in this forum.

And they said it couldn't be done...

XO!

- Kathie

PS: See also Free SkateLog Forum Business Cards
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #14
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Thanks Kathie! You are the best!

I'll take two.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #15
speedysktr
President of Everything

speedy wants one in Medium.

I suggest everyone send $20 so Kathie's expenses are minimized!
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #16
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Thanks Speedy - you are SUCH a nice guy! But actually, I will be fine, because I can always recover the costs later when I sell the shirts to non forum members. I really don't mind contributing to each shirt since the shirts will attract more people to this forum. More skaters, from more different places, means more interesting discussions!

- K
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #17
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
More skaters, from more different places, means more interesting discussions!
are you bored with me already? oooh, the pain
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #18
Bill

Kathie,
I'll take a large. the $20 everyone else is sending should cover me. do you have red?

.... JUST KIDDING!
Good idea, everyone send $20/per shirt if they can....
and I will take 2 large please, in the color you chose.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #19
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Bill, this time all the shirts are sage green, but we can select different colors for future t-shirt orders, especially if later on we order some cotton shirts in addition to CoolMax (cotton comes in more different colors).

Thanks!

- Kathie
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #20
skaterdog

put me down for 2 XL shirts......
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote