S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Trick or BeatHer

Default Roller Derby Welcome Packet

Hi Everyone,
I have been asked to put together a welcome letter/packet for our new skaters who are attending our recruitment night. I want it to include a welcome letter, our waivers, ect. In your opinion what should the welcome letter itself contain? A brief history? Gear list? Help I need ideas!
Trick or BeatHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default A Refrigerator Magnet w/Important Stuff

Hi,

I know you are looking for lots of paper stuff and ideas which is good.

Yet what I think is important after all these years is the key things to do when NOT at a Derby practice. The stuff you do at Home when No One is looking. Basically getting the gals ready Off_Line to be Derby prepared. This will also reduce injury.

I would put several things on that magnet, including step work for the ankle and knees, calves; plus star lunges and more. Yet brain storm and figure out what you want on that magnet. And look at old injuries that could have been lessened by better preparedness.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. My idea comes from lawn care magnets and a few others that help you the newbie remember what is important.
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3
WJCIV

We had one for our speed team, and most of the stuff is directly transferable. This is off the top of my head, so some things might be missing.
  • Contact sheet for the coaches.
  • Drylands sheet: the off skate exercises we are expected to do a couple times a week for the next few months. It takes about 20 minutes per session done correctly.
  • Calendar for the next month of practices.
  • Meet schedule for the upcoming year.
  • Skater Expectations (required signature) including equipment required to be on the practice floor.
  • Parent Expectations (required signature).
  • Waivers (required signature).
  • One page nutrition guide: when you eat what matters. After a strength workout you want a protein heavy snack with some carbs right away. We can debate whether you want a more carb heavy meal within a couple of hours.

The gear thing is interesting. It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go too overboard with it. Each foot and person is different, and floor conditions come into play. If you have a knowledgeable coach I would recommend telling people to conference with that person before making any gear decisions (on the skate side - pads are less finicky).

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Trick or BeatHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi,

I know you are looking for lots of paper stuff and ideas which is good.

Yet what I think is important after all these years is the key things to do when NOT at a Derby practice. The stuff you do at Home when No One is looking. Basically getting the gals ready Off_Line to be Derby prepared. This will also reduce injury.

I would put several things on that magnet, including step work for the ankle and knees, calves; plus star lunges and more. Yet brain storm and figure out what you want on that magnet. And look at old injuries that could have been lessened by better preparedness.

P.S. My idea comes from lawn care magnets and a few others that help you the newbie remember what is important.
WOW Love the idea for magnets and reminders at home! Thank you!
Trick or BeatHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Get a Sponsor for that Magnet

Hi Trick,

Glad you like this really old idea that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick or BeatHer View Post
WOW Love the idea for magnets and reminders at home! Thank you!
Get a Sponsor for your team on that Magnet. A Sponsor will love it when they know your team members or fresh meat are looking at them each day. It can be a Derby sell place or clothes or whatever even a super market.

This is one of those ideas that work on multiple levels to help your gals and your team.