S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old June 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #161
skateforfun
Semper Fi

I love to dance, I love old school freestyle music, I love excersise. Skating combines all three. What more could you ask for?
skateforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM   #162
creamburmese

Wink

I started skating to improve my skiing ... now I'm looking for something to improve my skating!
creamburmese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #163
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

creamburmese,
It seems to work that way, doesn't it? Its all good!
Phil
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #164
oldfuddyduddy
Cheap Skate Club

Because I like it
oldfuddyduddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #165
Marica101010
80's Skater Chick

I guess this will be like more why do I want so desperately to skate again...as I havent got any new skates and actually got back on the floor. But hee goes my feelings on skating. ..I can feeling the beat of the bass thumbing through body, remember the words to every song, and as I watched the videos on youtube, my body swayed in perfect motion to the beat of the music. I could feel the floor under my feet, the wheels gripping the floor and the tilt of the boot and the axle as my feet do the shuffle to my favorite Egypt, Egypt. I remember the feel of the wind as if blew thru my hair and ruffled against my shirts, and the feel of my way too tight jeans hugging my once athletic legs, as they carried me swiftly and beautifully around the rink, weaving in and out of traffic, meeting up with my other skaters for a shuffle skate line, smiling and laughing as we go. ....Yes I want to recapture those feeling that were my youth...the feeling that were really me, deep down inside...flurty, fun, laughing all the time..I have plenty of time to be wife, mom daughter, and such..I just long for a few hours a week to be able to let go and go back and be myself..just for me, to feel that freedom, that oneness with the jamming music..let it enter my soul, and fill me to the top.

I hope you all dont think I am nuts, but I love skating, have missed way too many days..I have dreams about it, and even in them can feel myself skating. It is the only thing that I have ever found that screams my name and fulfills me.
Marica101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #166
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Thumbs up Welcom marcia

Makes perfec snese 2 me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marica101010 View Post
I hope you all dont think I am nuts, but I love skating, have missed way too many days..I have dreams about it, and even in them can feel myself skating. It is the only thing that I have ever found that screams my name and fulfills me.
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #167
Ketama
Unbreakable....

Just want to go FAST and be in CONTROL

plus it helps with my condition too.
Ketama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #168
Kenman74

Default Why Skate?

Fun, friends, fitness, and the never-ending challenge.
Kenman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM   #169
Kristie

It brings back fond memories of my childhood. I was better back then, but I am getting there!
Kristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM   #170
peter

So I can skate in places like this

That is my son and a friend in the photo - I am behind the camera
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #171
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Peter, That is one beautiful place you are skating in. What major towns are near? How far can you go on the roads? The roads look smooth and are absolutely rustic. You are lucky to have that area to skate. Thanks for sharing!
Phil
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #172
okskate

I skate because I have loved it since I was 5 years old. I am 39 now and enjoys inlines outdoors and quads indoors. When I was 13, I had a pair Reidell 220s with All-American Wheels that I used in figure skating classes. I wanted a pair of tennis shoe skates for outside, yet there weren't any available. I took my favorite pair of Nikes and bolted a plate and speed wheels. They were my first outdoor skates and worked better than any others I had tried. I was in heaven.

In my early 20s I discovered the world of inlines. Later, thought, around 30 I stopped skating due to time constraints. But I picked it up again at 36 because I got a dog that wanted to walk and run farther than I could go on foot. So I bought RB Aero 9s withe 4 x 80mm wheels, and not only was my dog happy, but I was in love again with skating.

Now I am looking for a new pair. Something faster and smoother but still offering maneuverability. Can't wait to discover what skates I'll get next.

So I am just a serious rec skater who wants to push the envelope a bit, have fun, and stay fit!
okskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM   #173
Darlene

I skate because I love it and because I can.

When I skate I sometimes think of how fortunate I am to even have skates. I wonder how many people in this world have never been on skates or even seen a pair. Something as simple as the breeze blowing on my face while going down a hill or the smoothness of a wooden floor with music playing in the background won't be experienced by most of the world due to war, illness, poverty or so many other things. Next time you put on skates think of a kid that has never worn shoes or eaten an apple. We really are fortunate to have skates and a great skating community.
Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #174
Missy N.
Pavement Queen

I skate because skating is hard, it's easy, it's frightening, it's relaxing, it's daring, it's comforting. It's the easiest thing I've ever done and at the same time it scares the crap out of me on a daily basis.

I love that feeling when I am whizzing down a narrow sidewalk in my rollerblades and I see that 90 degree left corner up ahead

That feeling as I hug the inside edge and swing around and I hear my wheels growl on the concrete--skkkkRRRSSHHHHH--- and I take my other foot and push myself into a crossover with only an inch or so, sometimes less, between the edge of the sidewalk and my outside foot's wheels. I love that feeling. I feel like I'm cheating something normal people can't tell what to do.

I love that feeling when I'm flying down a hill that's "way too steep" to be skating down and it's just me and I know I can't panic because if I panic I'm going to eat the asphalt in one big hearty helping and so I just let myself fly down the hill and don't worry about anything in the whole world except how I'm going to turn the corner so I don't plow into the curb at the end and nosedive into the grass or the sidewalk.

It's the feeling when you take your first big hill and sling yourself off the corner and you slingshot halfway up the next hill without even pushing. It's that feeling when you take on a new mile of sidewalk and you feel like an explorer, dodging cracks and stones and holes and people left and right, starting and stopping and hopping unexpected curbs.

It's the feeling you get when your mouth and nose is full of vanilla fog and you're gliding around on a smooth rink floor in your favorite indoor skates (quads for me) and you can turn and spin with what feels like the greatest of ease, like a dolphin in water or a bird in air.

It's that feeling when you narrowly avoid a big wipeout, when you turn a corner tighter than you thought was possible, when you amaze yourself with yourself. Even if you do take a fall, it's the feeling you get when you attempt that place again and you DON'T wipe out. It's knowing that you have a home wherever there is smooth asphalt or decent concrete.

Those are the reasons I skate.
Missy N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #175
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Thumbs up

Missy: Awesome story, go gyrl!
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #176
Missy N.
Pavement Queen

I wish I would have joined this forum a few years ago. I'm a n00b to the forum but certainly not to skating.

Thanks though.
Missy N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #177
Wheels2lab

Default Keeps me active

Skating gets my mind off of things and relieves stress. I also use it as a means to commute, since I gave up on bicycling around campus due to my experience with bikes being stolen or damaged. I think skating is just as effective and more fun.
Wheels2lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #178
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default I skate because??

I'm still trying to figure that one out??? I have been on wheels since I was nine years old..I'm 67 now, and I still don't have the answer as to why I skate???

I guess I'm just a Skater, through and through???
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM   #179
biffsk8er

Such is human psychology that if we don't express our joy, we soon cease to feel it.

What a man really wants is creative challenge with sufficient skills to bring him within the reach of success so that he may have the expanding joy of achievement.

This is why I skate.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #180
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
Such is human psychology that if we don't express our joy, we soon cease to feel it.

What a man really wants is creative challenge with sufficient skills to bring him within the reach of success so that he may have the expanding joy of achievement.

This is why I skate.
That and because he can do front flips AND backflips on skates. heh....