S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #41
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rel8ing2Sk8ing View Post
I read all the way through this thread, from beginning to end. BadNews' posts remind me of what you see when you read through the reviews on an apartment-rating site I've looked at, where you can get past and present renter's reviews on what it's like to live there. On some reviews it's obvious there is a problem with the apartment complex. And suddenly there will be a post, OBVIOUSLY written by management, stating what a hunky-dory place it is to live, and how "wonderful" management is. These pro-management posts sure do have that same flavor to them, and make me suspicious.
ROTFLMAO!!

Paranoid much?

Trust me, man, I wouldn't be able to find Milipenis on an unmarked map let alone the single skating rink within a hundred miles in that little turd of a town...wherever it is.
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #42
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rel8ing2Sk8ing View Post
-- the rink is CAL SKATE in Milpitas, CA. Nice floor, good location, but sucky management.
Some of the Nazi-Like Rules of Cal Skate:

FLOOR RULES:
Cal Skate will penalize any patron that does not practice safe skating while in our facility.

No pushing, tripping or playing tag.
No fast skating. Fast skating is defined as anyone skating faster than the average flow of traffic and in a manner hazardous to other skaters.
No squatting except during a designated special skate.
No stopping along the wall. All skaters must attempt to keep moving at all times.
No eating or drinking over the half wall surrounding the skating surface or on the skating floor.
No sitting on or climbing over the half wall surrounding the skating floor.
Jumps, spins or dancing are to be kept to the center of the floor and are permitted only during uncrowded sessions and at the discretion of the Manager or Session Supervisor on duty.

http://www.calskatemilpitas.com/rules.html
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #43
artisan555

don't panic. those are completely standard rules at ALL rinks.
artisan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #44
Bill

Badnews,
Do you skate? Why don't you tell us a little bit more about yourself and what type of skating you enjoy?

I'm just curious why this topic intrests you so much, a fair question.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #45
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Badnews,
Do you skate? Why don't you tell us a little bit more about yourself and what type of skating you enjoy?
Bill
I am just taking up skating again. It's been years and years. I used to be pretty good with old fashioned crummy skates. I am at that point where I am fearful to engage because I don't want to hurt certain parts of my body that would render me incompetent to do my job, most specifically, my wrists. I am interested in street skating. I am not interested in EXTREME anything, in fact, I view those who are into EXTREME anything much like those dweebs on Howard and Kumar go to White Castle and are, most likely, poseurs...while at the same time I can appreciate that many of you are serious about skating EXTREME, at my age, I see little reason for me to go out and rip myself a new one and shred myself.

I would like to find someone local to do street skating with me to begin with, but in the long run, I would not enjoy skating in tandem. I am doing this for exercise as I have noticed I have become sedentery although I consider myself in very good physical condition. I am concerned about leg strengthening. The very first thing I am concentrating on is balance because I am a firm believer that balance is important in nearly every "sport," of which I do not consider skating, but a skill.

I am not doing it for recognition or to "get the chicks." I am doing it for me as there is very little I do for me. Mostly I do for others.

Plus, I like exchanging ideas with people and turning thoughts inside out to make people think from other angles...as painful as that normally is.

Why do you skate?
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #46
Bill

Ha!
Well I started skating for the chicks One little redhead in particular, suggested a group of us go skating at CalSkate about 16 years ago. Being a bit younger, but just a foolish as I am now, I followed. The rest is history. In the end, I'm just an older guy like you and just skate for fun.

I have lot's of great memories of CalSkate, and like many of the skaters there that have been skating there for decades, we feel like it's our rink. There's a lot of emotion about this issue with the skaters that have been skating there for years, and this issue has become kind of a love - hate thing. Skaters just want to skate and have fun and not worry about being hassled. For now many are skating at the rink in San Jose because they can skate there and not worry.

The Sunday nights were getting a bit crowded and maybe they are trying to make it less crowded. While the management might be worried about loosing skaters, I get the feeling they don't mind if they loose them to another rink. They have always been supportive of skating in general.

I hope this helped you get a better feel for what's going on.

Bill
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #47
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ha!
I hope this helped you get a better feel for what's going on.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I know I at first glance appear to be somewhat "combative" and obstreporous to many posters. It's my "style" I guess. I'm one of those people you love or you love to hate. <shrugs>

As you may be picking up, I really couldn't give a rat's patoot about Cal Skate, the manager, the middle of the rink dancers, why someone was banned and a whole list of other things that are totally inconsequential to me, you and everyone else on this board.

I'm just mixing it up a little bit. Of course no one was there to witness what "really" happened, maybe the manager was having a bad day, didn't like the fru fru that Richard was wearing...whatever. I just like to get the whole story of what happened without hearing from one side...and with that, I think this board needs a beating a dead horse smiley.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #48
skaterdog

The clothing rules are very strict.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #49
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
The clothing rules are very strict.
Seemed a little EXTREME to me, too.

Plus, no chewing gum?

Nazis.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #50
Rel8ing2Sk8ing

Default Nazi skating rules

Well, the chewing-gum thing I would have to agree with. Too easy to lose, and it would mess up their precious hardwood floor -- the only thing that place has going for it. But ----(????)---- "no shoulder straps less than 1" in width on women"? "No white T-shirts on men"? Are these the trappings of a gang that none of the rest of us are aware of?

"Wall-Skate" (i.e., none of that dangerous dancing-in-the-middle allowed!) needs to invest in a calendar. The 50's were over half a century ago.

Maybe they should just fence off the center of the rink. That way everyone would HAVE to just skate around the outside in their usual brain-dead manner. Might save them some money on floor maintenance, (they'll be in need of money, seeing as how they're going to start hemorrhaging customers), since then the center would never need refinishing.

Or, they could install rails embedded in the floor around the outside. All customers would be required to purchase special wheels for their skates (at "Wall-Skate", of course, which = more money!) The special wheels would then lock into the floor rails and prevent the skaters from doing anything but going in a fixed, prescribed manner, at a set speed, around and around... sort of like the old "Autopia" car-ride at Disneyland back in the 50's, the era in which the managers of Wall-Skate seem to still be living.
Rel8ing2Sk8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #51
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Quote:
badnews said:those who are into EXTREME anything much like those dweebs
-- Hey, I resemble that remark

Quote:
Rel8ing2sk8ing
-- Cool S/N!!!
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:47 AM   #52
hungryrollerblader
..The weird kid in school

[QUOTE=fablemaker2;6552]-- Hey, I resemble that remark

Me too!!

so meh =P
hungryrollerblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #53
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I did not see a rule against not wearing underware...That was close, I can still go there if I want to .

The rest of the rules are cool for a younger group...gangs etc...

Phil
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #54
rollerdanceman

Smile Banned In The Middle

I have read all the threads posted and I just want to say thanks for the feedback from everyone. In the meantime Im still dancing in the middle of another floor.
Theres a open invite to all skaters to come and join us at the best outside rink in the country located at 6th and Fulton in Golden Gate Park every sunday from noon to six. There are no rules and regulations other than to come and have a nice time. Bring the entire family, and best of all its free with music provided. See you in the middle.

Rollerdanceman
rollerdanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #55
Spins

Rollerdanceman,

Bold and decisive move. You are held in high admiration for doing what you must do.

I never returned to a rink doing the same thing for years. Now, I'm jumping, spinning and turning throughout the entire session--but, there used to be others and now I'm the only one.

They killed their rink for advanced skaters and it will take generations for such a return among the kids--too bad for them. Attendance would, without a doubt, have been higher all those years than it is now. They literally ran off their skate club skaters that did session skating.

Keep us posted.

Gary
o-o

Old December 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #56
illinisk8er07

Smile

I would like to comment on skate dancers in the middle. When I first started working my floor I thought that they were kind of in the way. But once I got to know them along with getting to know my floor better, I learned that they have their spot in the middle and regular jammers stick to the outside edge of the floor. Also if you go ask them politely to go skate around the outside for awhile, they usually have no problem with that request. But if you treat them like they are animals, then go on the outside and jam in a line, how can you justify that. That is your skating style and the stuff they do in the middle is their skate style. You would not like it if you got told not to jam and you just have to skate around in a circle. Now I am not a middle person I couldn't do a windmill to save my life, but it is very interesting to watch them do their work. I does sometime make big crowds to watch them well if they all stay in the circle and aren't causeing a disruption then let them be. After the group has assembled for awhile ask all skaters to go skate and they will. If they are tripping people on purpose then they get in trouble just like everyone else, if it's on accident ask them to please be careful or you will no longer be aloud to dance in the middle. My rules state that the middle is reserved for backwards skating and special skating types. If their are kids cutting through the middle of the circle and end up getting kicked or hurt by the people in the middle, well I'm sorry I will make sure you're ok, but the rules state that you are not to be skating in the middle of the floor unless you are backwards skating or special skating. So if the rules state it and you don't follow the rules then I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for you.

That is a look at it from a floor guard prospective. Hope it helps.
illinisk8er07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #57
sk8rdr2b

I guess I'm on the fence with skating in the middle. I understand that it's the best place for dance/group skating, but there's only so much space in the middle. And if most of the floor is taken up with rollerdancers, where am I supposed to practice my spins?

I don't think it should be banned and I've never heard of this before, but I don't think rollerdancers should be allowed to take up the ENTIRE middle of the floor either.
sk8rdr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #58
The Unknown Disc Jockey
Retro Roller

Default Roller Dancers.......PLEASE READ

Hi gang....

Although "NEW" to this forum I'm certainly not new to the sport of skating and RollerDancing.

We were pretty much barked at by the owner of a local rink about standing in the middle of the floor, dancing, and one of our skaters was exceptionally good at doing the "shooting duck" was told over the sound system by the Dj to knock it off.

When I tried to make peace with the owner (who doesn't really want to do this roller rink stuff anymore as he put it) I was told "why don't you shut the hell up...I wasn't talking to you anyway"

Well guess what....I did just that ....me and my skategroup "The Retro Rollers" walked away gritting our teeth are we're now living happily ever after at a "brand new" skate facility that opened up about 10 miles away from where this all took place.

Best of all.....the owners of the new rink love us and support everything we do 100%...(Lenny & Terry...you guys are awsome!!)

Final question....who really ended up being the worlds biggest loser !!!

RollerDancers are HUGE supporters of this sport!!!

Anyone who treats them poorly is not worthy of owning a rollerrink!!!

Regards
"The Unknown Disc Jockey"
The Unknown Disc Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #59
Bill

One more point (directed to the people who rink skate.)

What rink manager / DJ would play the "Cha Cha Slide" durring a session and not allow the skaters do their thing in the middle? And then address a crowd of adults (the session is 25+ but most are 35+) by saying "If you people want to do that, go to a dance club". Not a smooth move in my book.

The end result is most of the crowd has moved to another rink and are still skating at the there rink. The end result is a boost the "new" (old) rink (it needed one), and Cal Skate's Adult night is not crowded so it has more appeal to newer Adult skaters, and older Adults that prefer a less crowded session. (one of my favorite skaters that skates that session is close to 80 years old and still has some cool moves on skates).

Bill
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #60
cloviek
Ernesto

Default More skating restrictions

What is this world turning to. No practice in the middle of the floor. Let the cattle and the sheep roam off the path and take short cuts, cutting into traffic randomly from the center area of the floor. Try and go backwards at some rinks and see how long you will be allowed to skate. No skating backwards. Let the kids do what they want as long as they bring thier friends. Let them trash the bathrooms. Unfortunately it boils down to the almighty dollar.
cloviek is offline   Reply With Quote