S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old November 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Default Full Moon Skate Tampa - this Saturday

Any of you locals available to skate on Saturday night at one of the most beautiful trails in Florida? If you've ever wanted to skate in the dark, this is the place to do it. If you've never been to Flatwoods, you can get a moonlit preview of the trail you'll be racing on for the Squiggy Classic in March.

Info

I'm looking at the most recent pic and the turnout was pathetic compared to skates in the past (I guess I shouldn't be talking since I didn't show either ). Jon B. how about it? Dmoore? BHerrick?
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
dmoore
Stand and Deliver

Hey Jessica,
Yes, I've been to Flatwoods and would love to do it, but my dentist advised me to stay off the skates for ~ 5 days. After nursing a hot tooth over the weekend, I had it pulled today and I'm home wasting a perfect skating day. I'm having serious withdrawals having been off the skates the whole weekend.

I asked the dentist about skating this weekend and he strongly advised against it. Funny thing - we started talking about favorite trails since he bikes. His is the Upper Tampa Bay trail, which I believe you frequent. He said he likes to hear the roosters crow in the morning.

When chaos subsides, I would like to get together with the Florida contingent. Since my favorite trail at Starkey Park is shut down, I've been hitting the Suncoast trail. I'd like to try the Upper Tampa Bay trail or the north end of Suncoast and experience some FL hills with Jon B.

Have fun,
Dennis
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

c'mon dennis, man up! The dentist was just making a suggestion, kind of a general guideline. By Saturday evening at full moon, it really will be almost 5 days. Skating with Jessica is a real treat. Just make sure you act like a gentleman.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #4
dmoore
Stand and Deliver

My threshold for pain is fairly high - probably what got me in this mess. Actually, since my wife was a dental assistant, she'll be the one keeping an eye on me. The description of a dry socket and what results doesn't sound appealing. Believe me, I'd much rather be skating.
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Jessica,
Hmmm, skating by moonlight. Haven't done that yet. Sounds fun. I'm in. I'd just decided to do the Squiggy Classic so it would be nice to get a look at Flatwoods. Looks like a very nice trail.
Sorry to hear about the tooth dmoore, may you heal fast and your dentist change his mind.
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #6
dmoore
Stand and Deliver

Thanks for the kind words Bryan. Depending on how the week goes, I may be there. Now that novacain has worn off and my thoughts are clearer, the prospect of Sat. doesn't sound too bad.

The trail is very smooth and with no clouds, a full moon skate sounds great. I think they recommend a blinky light so you don't get rear ended.

Hope to see you guys there.

Dennis
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #7
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

It's a social skate so most everyone does it pretty slow. It's not much of a workout so I think you'll be fine.
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

First, sorry again. I just can't seem to get my schedule to fall correctly lately, and it's corresponding with a real energy funk. If you've noticed, no posting - that means: no skating. Didn't even go this weekend, I'm about to go catatonic for the winter. Anyway, if the skate were Friday night I'd be there. Saturday I have to work, and Sunday, and Monday. Hope you all have a great time. DMoore, lot's of luck with the tooth deal, and although I wouldn't lead you to disregard Dr's orders give this a thought. I had a post surgical patient on the floor with a whole list of parameters to notify the Dr with, blood pressures high & low, heart rate high & low, temperature high & low, oxygen saturation high & low, respirations high & low. Anyway, called him for an elevated BP or something at about 2am. He gives me a ration of crap about "those are just normal protocols!". As if he didn't really mean it, he just "had" to put those in there. I reminded him that my "normal protocol" was to follow "normal protocol". Anyway, hope you get to go.
Now for the disclaimer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr
c'mon dennis, man up! The dentist was just making a suggestion, kind of a general guideline. By Saturday evening at full moon, it really will be almost 5 days. Skating with Jessica is a real treat. Just make sure you act like a gentleman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica
It's a social skate so most everyone does it pretty slow. It's not much of a workout so I think you'll be fine.
Now I won't deny that I love to skate with Jessica, but.......give ear to my word young men. The "social skate" "pretty slow" may not turn out just like you plannned. If I remember correctly we did 11 miles the last time instead of 7 at about 14.5 - 15 mph. Where was the rest of the skate group? JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
First, sorry again. I just can't seem to get my schedule to fall correctly lately, and it's corresponding with a real energy funk.
Don't worry about it - I figured you would be working. We'll miss you though
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM   #10
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

The Moonlight Special sounds great, but I'm still on the skating shelf with my right knee sprain. Got a cortisone injection Tues. and Dr. says "No skating for 2 more weeks." I said, "My hearings not so great, you said 2 DAYS didn't you Dr.?" To which he replied, "I said 2 WEEKS, and your hearing isn't that bad." Anyway, the knee is much improved and I'll probably give it a short test roll tomorrow.

Have fun on the Moonlight. Next time.

LezSk8!
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM   #11
Code Monkey

dMoore!!!

Believe me your dentist knows what he is talking about, DON'T SKATE!!!

I speak from personal experience, I had two dry sockets and visualize me grabbing you by the shoulders and looking you in the eyes and saying, DO NOT SKATE!

Let that wound heal completely. After it heals then go skate like a wild man. Develop your self discipline and do not skate. Read a book. Cook meals for the week. Let that wound heal. Your dentist does those trails, he knows how much you want to go, he knows from lots of experience what is the correct thing to do, follow his advice, maybe even add a day.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:02 PM   #12
Code Monkey

dMoore,

Also, just my feeling but Jessica seems like if you called her and wanted to go do a skate she would be more than happy to go. Besides once you heal up proper you could celebrate your painstaking exercise in self discipline and go skating with Jessica and instead of doing just a slow and easy skate you could go all out.

Hey, if your dentist gave you warnings about drinking hot or cold liquids with a straw do it. That is where I messed up. And once you mess up it's a done deal and you will think of what a dumb a$$ you were. I drank hot coffee. I mean I just could not drink hot coffee with a straw. Well, after about an hour after the hot coffee I was in serious pain. No joking around. Every breath you take is going to cause severe pain to where you can think of nothing else and do nothing else but try to nurse the pain. It will get so bad you will have to go back to the dentist and he will pack your socket with pain killer which helps but tastes vile and doesn't help for long. Now if I had to have that done again, I would drink hot coffee thru a straw from my nose.
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

....of course there are varying opinions in the medical "practice" and I'm sure I have a thesis here somewhere that skating has been found to be very therapeutic as prophylaxis for dry socket. Now where was that article......
JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM   #14
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
prophylaxis
Quite the word there JB
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM   #15
Code Monkey

I never have worn a prophylaxis while skating, I guess I should practice safer skating.
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM   #16
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
I never have worn a prophylaxis while skating, I guess I should practice safer skating.
I thought that was what the pvc ezeefit thingies were...
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #17
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
... DON'T SKATE!!! ...
no no no, seriously, do it, c'mon, seriously, do it <using my ben stiller voice> seriously, do it.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM   #18
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
The Moonlight Special sounds great, but I'm still on the skating shelf with my right knee sprain. Got a cortisone injection Tues. and Dr. says "No skating for 2 more weeks." I said, "My hearings not so great, you said 2 DAYS didn't you Dr.?" To which he replied, "I said 2 WEEKS, and your hearing isn't that bad." Anyway, the knee is much improved and I'll probably give it a short test roll tomorrow.

Have fun on the Moonlight. Next time.

LezSk8!
Two weeks! That sucks. I hope you get better soon. It seems like a lot of people I know are injured right now.
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:38 PM   #19
dmoore
Stand and Deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
no no no, seriously, do it, c'mon, seriously, do it <using my ben stiller voice> seriously, do it.
Ya, Ya, that's the ticket. I've decided to take speedys advice and take 2 aspirin to thin the blood, drink a few cup of hot coffee - through a straw of course, skate my a$$ off, then go visit Jon B for some good painkillers to get me throught the night so I can go back to the oral surgeon and tell how much fun I just had. Actually my biggest challenge is to get past my wife who used to be a dental assistant. Not likely.

Code - thanks for sharing your dry socket testimonial. It wasn't far off of what the dentist described. And you're right, being a biker he knows I'm going through withdrawals.

Jessica - definately want to hook up for a skate, but Sat doesn't look good. There will be plenty of other opportunities since we have 12 months of great skating. You're right - Florida rocks! Have a great skate.

- Dennis
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM   #20
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not going to make it up there tonight. I was just offered a good paying show that I can't refuse. Good thing for me is between that and last nights pays for the new pair of Canarium 4x100 frames I picked up a couple of days ago. It's nice when one hobby pays for the other.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably coming up to skate in Tampa next weekend so I hope to get the opportunity to skate with some of you soon.