S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #21
newspix1

Default Thanks to all

Hi Folks,

I wanted to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments. I came to the site looking for answers and insight into two basic questions. The first, recommendations on safety gear, and two, info about the type of injury I have. With your help I've come to the conclusion that the Skeletools padded shorts with an extra set of pads in the hips are my best bet.

As far as info on my hip injury goes it seems that it's not a very common injury amongst skaters, which makes me feel a lot better about skating again. I did find a biking forum where the injury seemed to be much more common. And the info there leads me to believe that it could be many months before I even attempt skating again. The up side is I'll be sure to wear padded shorts next time I take the bike out for a spin. I had no idea that so many people blow their hips out in bike falls. Well, thanks again, and I'll try and check in ever once in a while.

I'm including the link to the bike/broken hip forum in case anyone should come to this site, as I did looking for info about hip injuries and recovery times.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0

Best,
A.J.
newspix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #22
SK8-O-PEDIA
Derby Ref & Soul SK8ER

Default McDavid Padded Shorts

I use the McDavid padded shorts and the padded sports bra since I am female. I skate indoors, dance skate, skate long distance outdoors and skate ref for Derby. I wear them for Derby and outdoors. I have not taken a bad fall outdoors that my regular pads didn't work, but someone in my group hurt her tail bone and another one got some nasty road rash similar to sliding in to base. I started wearing the padded shorts for Derby and decided they were a good idea for outdoors. At one time I skated with Rugby chest protector because I loved to fly down this one steep hill. I don't go all the way/up down anymore so I sold the rugby pads. I've also looked at Motocross stuff because it is rated for high speeds. Decided I'm not that hardcore, but you might want to check those out too.
Beatkeeper 62mm 97A wheels cut down to 57mm
Bones Swiss Bearings
SK8-O-PEDIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #23
newspix1

Default Padded Shorts

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the McDavid padded shorts and think that something like that would have been fine before my wipeout, but now that my hip has been compromised I feel like I need some really heavy duty shorts to protect the area.

The doc said my bones looked to be in good shape, and that judging from the bruising my fall would be considered high impact and probably would have broken the hip regardless of age.

That said, it's been ten weeks since the crash, and I can't really say if I'll ever skate again. A month with a walker and another month with a cane.

Now I'm in a holding pattern. The doc said the bolts are holding everything in place, but at eight weeks he couldn't tell if any healing was taking place. My next appointment is in three months.

The problem with these kind of fractures is they tend to disrupt the blood supply to the femoral head, which leads to bone death and a total hip replacement. It makes me ill just thinking of a THR!

Still, after all is said and done, I would love to skate again someday, and the doctor has said if the bolts work and the hip heals I should be able to do so. Now all I have to do is convince the wife that missing three months of work is worth the feeling I get when I'm rolling though the park on my skates.

Oh, as far as shorts go I think the Skeletools padded shorts would work best for me at this point in time. They are motocross shorts if I'm not mistaken. And if they turn out to be more protection than I need, then all the better!
newspix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 12:36 AM   #24
Norak

Default Did you skate again?

Hello everyone!

So... newspix, did you skate again? How do you feel after all these years? I landed on this forum because I was looking for crash pads as I was diagnosed with a dislocated coccyx and a fissured vertebrae after a fall while skating with my quads a couple a weeks ago. I'd love to be able to skate again!

I do hope you're skating again!

Nora
Norak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:22 PM   #25
zebra1922

Holy cow. Iíve seen old threads relaunched but 10 years? Good effort.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote