S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old January 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default 2008 Skate DC Party Weekend

Just added to the May 2008 SkateLog Calendar:

EVENT: 2008 Skate DC Party Weekend
DATES: May 9-11, 2008

Have any of you ever skated this event? What is it like?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #2
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Have any of you ever skated this event? What is it like?
I’ve only done two events so far, this one and the Big Apple Roll. So keeping that in mind…

SkateDC rocks. They are both essentially the same type of event. DC is a bit smaller, but 2007 was still a good turnout. While NYC is, of course, NYC, DC is in a way better for skating. There is less traffic nights and weekends, the streets are mostly in better shape, and everything is a bit more spacious. You’ll get a bit of hill in DC once you get out to the suburbs, but they warn you in advance, and speaking as a complete and utter flatlander, they just aren’t all that bad unless you take some of the optional hills while most of the pack hangs back and rests.

The skates don’t roll out from the White House right at the published times, and organization is not quite as tight as NYC. But that’s to be expected, being a slightly smaller event. Overall, WAR does an excellent job of putting on a great weekend. Their t-shirts are better than NYC’s in that they’re wicking material, not just a plain cotton shirt. (Better designs, too!)

There was a Rollerblade rep at the event hotel letting people try skates out for the event, but we didn’t know about that until after the last skate of the weekend. That was too bad, as I was right at the end of my time with my K2 fitness skates and really jonesing to try out something closer to a speed skate. Oh well.

We stayed at a hotel that’s even closer to the White House than the event hotel, the Club Quarters Washington. I’ll have to dig around to find out what we paid, but it was surprisingly cheap. I just asked Jenn and she remember the same thing I did, about $130/night. Very classy and quiet, with complimentary bottled water dispensers on every floor.

But the best thing about SkateDC? Jenn just checked her school schedule and will be done with finals by May 9th, so she can come with me! (Unlike Miami next month, which I’ll be attending without her. Boo!) Well, that and the people. The people of WAR really are great. They really made us feel welcome. Also, in some of the neighborhoods we skated through, people were sitting out on their lawns cheering as we went by; it was like the Tour de France. The best I’ve ever gotten at home was a curious stare, so that was pretty nice.

If you’re able to make it this year, do so. You won’t be sorry.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Akiko

Default Yay

Oh yay, I would love the setting of the White House to skate near. That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info!
Akiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Last edited by BWI-Sheldon; February 3rd, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Don't forget about the Half Marathon there on Sunday.
Really? The Skater’s Quest half marathon at Chantilly is a few weeks later this year. Are you referring to something different? Or are you joking about something and I’m being a bit more obtuse than usual?
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Ooops, I better check my facts. Will temporarly delete last post.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #7
gopherfan

Default no race this year

I read e-mail postings that there isn't a race this year during the skate DC weekend.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #8
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Yeah, that kinda bites. I was really thinking that would be my first race. I regretted not doing it last year, but the Saturday morning skate was awesome and I’m glad I didn’t miss that, either. Might still drive up there a month later for the race, though. I’m thinking at this point that the Texas Road Rash will be my official deflowering.
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Intrepid

Last year we (Skater's Quest) were fortunate in being able to schedule the Skate of the Union race on the same weekend as the Skate DC Weekend. Since the SOU race takes place at the Fairfax County Police driver training facility, we have to request the use of the facility way in advance and then hope for the best. Because SOU is a fund raising event for Special Olympics, the race is the only non-police event that is allowed in the facility. This year, there was a scheduling conflict so they approved us to use the driver training facility on June 15.

Now there are two reasons to come to DC: the Skate DC Weekend and the Skate of the Union race
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote