S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old July 6th, 2019, 11:49 PM   #1
BostonQuad

Default Recommended plates / kingpin angles?

I used to shuffle/dance skate, but have been out of action for awhile, and my skates no longer fit due to a bunion. I'm having new skates built, and am wondering...

What plates do people recommend? What kingpin angle?

Yes, I've read a number of threads on here about 10 vs 20 vs 45 degree action, mainly in the derby forum, and none of it recent. I used to skate on Snyders, so I'm guessing those were 10 degrees. I have a friend recommending 20 degrees, as he thinks 45 would be too unstable for me. I do have a tendon injury in one leg, so I'm likely to have less stability than I used to have.
BostonQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2019, 12:50 AM   #2
wyodinosaur

It depends on which Snyder you skated on. The Imperial has a higher angle than the Super Deluxe.

But the 10-degree is probably going to be more stable for you than a higher angle.

The Roll-Line plates are good. They are not cheap though.
wyodinosaur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

First thing is getting a boot that fits right, which you seem to be getting done already. Sweet.

Second is kingpin angle be damned.

Where do YOU like your axles? On a longer mount it may help to increase the KP angle so one is able to keep the amount of plate lean vs turning in check.

Granted a well set up 5 or 10 deg plate can still turn quite well, but eventually there is only so much one can do. If you're into slower moving shuffle style skating, a da45 shorter plate may be what you're looking for(for example)

A Snyder Advantage is a very nice middle ground plate. 15 deg kingpins, adjustable pivots, light weight, and it can be set up to run SG Super cushions

Wheels matter too, they can drastically modify the turning a skate will experience.
Old July 7th, 2019, 07:39 AM   #4
zebra1922

Iím interested in some recent opinions here too. I posted about where to mount a plate earlier this week and got some strong responses. There should be some similarly robust options about angles I suppose.

From what Iíve read a higher angle is thought to be more mavouvreable but less stable, so I suppose it depends what you want from your skating. As a shuffle/dance skater it seems to suggest. DA45 would work for you.

Iíve just changed from a 10 degree to a 16 degree, but I mostly just skate around, beginning to try some 3 turns and jumps. I canít tell if the 16 degree is more or less stable than the 10 degree, more or less maniuvreable as I changed wheels at the same time, but from everything Iíve read a DA45 would probably not be great for what I skate (although might help me in lessons when we get onto the shuffle stuff, Iím really poor at this. I know itís the skater not the skate in this instance so maybe I need all the help I can get!)
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:29 AM   #5
BostonQuad

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Where do YOU like your axles?
How would I know without trying different setups? This has me considering Bont Infinity plates, so I can try different axle placements. I've read about them failing, but I haven't come across any such posts since they strengthened that plate almost 3 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfA_ZNC4x8
BostonQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:00 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonQuad View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone.

How would I know without trying different setups? This has me considering Bont Infinity plates, so I can try different axle placements. I've read about them failing, but I haven't come across any such posts since they strengthened that plate almost 3 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfA_ZNC4x8
It's not perfect, but if you try on some rentals that ar larger than your foot you'll likely get the picture.