S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 9th, 2018, 06:08 AM   #1
campingnut

Default Concrete vs Wood floors

The two rinks I have been skating at are very different surfaces, one is painted concrete and the other is wood. The wood floor feels nicer on my body and easier to skate, but the concrete floor is closer, so I skate there more often.

I would love to hear what you do, if anything, when you go from one surface to another.

Thanks.
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi campingnut,

You don't mention which type of Wood Floor you're dealing with (Uncoated or Coated), nor if you find the Traction to be similar, or quite different, between the two.

If the Wood floor is Uncoated, then it should be rather slick - depending on the softness of your Wheels/Tires. If both Floors are coated then you may find the Traction similar - if the Coatings are of similar age and Properly cleaned. If you do find a major Traction difference, then use a set of Wheels for each Floor that gives you about the same Traction on both Floors.

I carry 5 sets of Wheels when I travel, to accommodate the different Floor Traction's I encounter.

Traction aside, the other major issue is Hardness. Falling on Concrete (or Asphalt) is always worse than on any of the Wood Type Floors. YOU absorb all the Fall energy, and when Coated - you get minimal Slide to scrub off the Fall energy.

Main thing I would suggest is wearing At Least some type of Knee and Elbow Protection, when on any Concrete or Asphalt Floors, as those are the Joints I see most often damaged from Skating Falls on those Floors. And really, all other Floor Types too.

I wear Knee, Elbow, Hip & Tail Bone Pads - as I have for about 4+ Decades.

The Taller, Heavier, and Older you are - the more likely you are to Fall and get Injured - no matter good you are and what kind of Skating you're doing on any Surface.

Harold
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:21 PM   #3
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
The two rinks I have been skating at are very different surfaces, one is painted concrete and the other is wood. The wood floor feels nicer on my body and easier to skate, but the concrete floor is closer, so I skate there more often.

I would love to hear what you do, if anything, when you go from one surface to another.

Thanks.
Change wheels.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post

Thanks.
depending on traction mostly, I like full on traction, no slip so if needed I change wheels. However I haven't had to change wheels in a long time. There is a dirty rink about an hour from here that you have to use a lower duro wheel to grip as the floor is so dirty. Lately most of the rinks I skate have all been about the same on traction. IN the past, no so much.
In the past also, the differences in traction and rink sizes sometimes dictated slight changes in truck/cushion compression adjustments.
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:44 PM   #5
CNQuadSkater

Wink

I always skating at outdoor and indoor with my 78A wheels.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Presston

I prefer hardwood. Falling is inevitable, and I have fallen on both. Falling on a wood surface is more desirable than concrete, any day.

Traction is there for you to figure out. It all depends on how fast or what kind of skating you intend to do. Wheels vary by durometer readings. (80a - 103a) The general rule of thumb is.....

The lower the duro, the softer the wheel = More Grip - Less Roll
The higher the duro, the firmer the wheel = More Roll - Less Grip

Have fun with this, they change the game every few years.
Presston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #7
campingnut

The traction feels about the same to me, so I would guess they are similarly coated. I wear all my gear when I skate outside, but I do not wear any protection inside. Every time I fall inside, I land on my side...I was thinking of looking into some hip protection (padded shorts?). My shoulder is a whole other story...
Old August 12th, 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Skatervideoguy

Hi campingnut,

Quote:
The traction feels about the same to me, so I would guess they are similarly coated.
That's Great. Just watch it over Time. Depending on the Coating, Resurface Period, and how well they Maintain them, the Traction might change considerably over time. Thus, the need for using Different Wheels at some point.

Quote:
I wear all my gear when I skate outside, but I do not wear any protection inside.
Good for you, and OUCH. At some point you're going to Hit Those Knees !

Quote:
Every time I fall inside, I land on my side...I was thinking of looking into some hip protection (padded shorts?)
That's why I wear a FootBall type UnderPant with the Slip-In Pads (Hip and Tail Bone). Just need to wear a Size Larger Jeans to Accommodate them. These also cover the Volley Ball Knee Pads I wear. I would wear these for OutSide Skating too.

Skate Safe !

Harold
Old August 12th, 2018, 03:08 PM   #9
wired

My preference is wood then plastic over wood then concrete then any sort of "sport court". Asphalt belongs outside.

Unfortunately I have yet to skate a completely level concrete floor. The little swales and rises can catch a wheel and cause a fall. Until the rink in Somerset got a wood floor there was one place I fell most every time I visited. Hard falls, sucked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
I carry 5 sets of Wheels when I travel, to accommodate the different Floor Traction's I encounter.
I used to carry several sets of wheels but my Scotts 95-97 Super Ds handle anything thrown at them. So much easier, and I have flips so changing is easy. But I don't need to!

Quote:
No wrist guards? That is the number one injury I see. Knees, elbows and butts don't shatter like wrists.

Old August 12th, 2018, 11:00 PM   #10
Skatervideoguy

Hi Wired,

Quote:
My preference is wood then plastic over wood then concrete then any sort of "sport court". Asphalt belongs outside.
I'm with you - although All the Rinks I've Skated with Asphalt Floors have all been Coated. Streets and Trails - not so much. But, All Hard like Concrete.

Quote:
Unfortunately I have yet to skate a completely level concrete floor. The little swales and rises can catch a wheel and cause a fall.
So far my experience with Coated or Polished concrete has been different. Mostly quite flat, smooth, and Damned Hard. The "swales", rises and edges that I've encountered used to be found on poorly laid and maintained Wood Floors - Circa - 50's, 60's, early 70's.

Quote:
my Scotts 95-97 Super Ds handle anything thrown at them
I'm very sensitive to Traction changes, due to the variety of things I do, and my naturally poor coordination - so going from a Slick Floor to a Fresh Coated Floor just doesn't work for me and any one set of wheels. Wish it did.

Quote:
No wrist guards? That is the number one injury I see. Knees, elbows and butts don't shatter like wrists.
Wrist issues were only a problem for me back in my late teens - early 20's when I had to wear Wrist Braces daily due to my late Growth Spurt, also used Knee Braces for a few years. As my Wrists and Knees Strengthened, I then went to the Protective Knee Pads. Since then (early 70's) my Wrists have not been a problem.

I've certainly seen many Wrist Sprains and Breaks, but folks usually came back to Skating from those - even wearing their Casts.

I've seen many Knee, Tail Bone, and Hip injuries that simply Stopped folks from returning to Skating altogether.

It's pretty amazing how different our Skating experiences can be, and have been.

Harold
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:44 AM   #11
wired

Quote:
I'm very sensitive to Traction changes, due to the variety of things I do, and my naturally poor coordination - so going from a Slick Floor to a Fresh Coated Floor just doesn't work for me and any one set of wheels. Wish it did.
Try some Scotts. Until you do it's kind of hard to understand or believe. This isn't just my experience, I have seen other skaters that used to come with strings of wheels experience the same thing.

I carried multiple wheels into sinks many times after I got mine and never had to switch wheels. And I'm a guy that used to use different wheels at the rink I skate at twice a week. Stilettos in warm weather and Anabolix Red Lines in cold. Now same Super D's on Paco micro bearing hubs all year round. Plenty of grip and roll no matter the weather. Plenty of grip even on a slidey floor like Cascade in ATL.

Quote:
I've certainly seen many Wrist Sprains and Breaks, but folks usually came back to Skating from those - even wearing their Casts.
REALLY! I have sure seen many too! I'd say they are the most common fracture in skating and that is why wrist guards are the FIRST protective gear I put on and ALWAYS wear. Not protecting against the most likely injury seems strange. They are also very handy if you have to fend off a wall with your palm. Allows a quick almost V shaped bounce off a wall to avoid a errant skater.

First wrist guards, second knees, third elbows, fourth helmet then butt pads. it all depends on what I'm doing and if there are any lingering injuries.

Quote:
It's pretty amazing how different our Skating experiences can be, and have been.
Certainly... Some of it is likely due to different skating goals. I skate for exercise and fun. So it's fast and long duration, enough to peg out my HR and keep it there. If a wood floor is warped I can't go fast. It's just not possible. OTOH concrete floors are usually fairly smooth and when going fast one tends to not pick up skates very far. This results in trips in the same location on a floor. That will only happen once in a session. The problem is if I come back to a rink months/years later I can't remember exactly where the dip is and have to "find" it again.
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:57 AM   #12
campingnut

I am now researching padded shorts, but I am not sure what type will work skating...any recommendations?
Old August 15th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #13
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Hi Wired, I'm with you - although All the Rinks I've Skated with Asphalt Floors have all been Coated. Streets and Trails - not so much. But, All Hard like Concrete.
Just wanted to say Skatervideoguy, you have the most extreme case of RCD (Random Capitalisation Disorder) I've seen in a while.

No common noun, verb or adjective is safe. Even the pronouns get savaged.
Old August 15th, 2018, 02:11 PM   #14
Skatervideoguy

Hi campingnut,

Quote:
That's why I wear a FootBall type UnderPant with the Slip-In Pads (Hip and Tail Bone). Just need to wear a Size Larger Jeans to Accommodate them. These also cover the Volley Ball Knee Pads I wear. I would wear these for OutSide Skating too.
There are a Slew of Padded shorts available On Line. Some to wear under your pants, others to strap on over your pants. The denser / thicker the foam the more protective the padding will be - up to a point. These will usually give better protection to the Muscular parts of your rear-end than the FootBall types, based on a Fall I took last year to my left side.

You just need to figure out how much Protection you want, and what you can tolerate wearing.

Hi Sunnyape,

Thanks for your Observation. Since my 1st Language is Gibberish, I still struggle to figure out how to accentuate/emphasize words in written English - that is easy to do when speaking with others Face to Face, but no so much in the printed Word. One of my many weaknesses. So I hope I don't offend folks with my perceived "RCD (Random Capitalisation Disorder)". It's not random from my view point, it's quite Intentional as an Accentuation method.

Neither English Class nor Spelling were my strong suits in school, hense - "No common noun, verb or adjective is safe. Even the pronouns get savaged". I'm not sure I could even explain what those are.

Harold
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #15
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Hi Sunnyape,

Thanks for your Observation. Since my 1st Language is Gibberish, I still struggle to figure out how to accentuate/emphasize words in written English - that is easy to do when speaking with others Face to Face, but no so much in the printed Word.
Good to see you take it with a sense of humor, in the way it was intended
Old August 26th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #16
PRFunky

Whoa! Painted concrete. I only did that once in York, PA at a
place I think was called Roll-R-Way. I don't remember what I
used for wheels that night in 2015.

I have two kinds of rinks I skate at too. Most of the places I go
have wood, but two rinks are epoxy-coated concrete. I've actually
never had a preference for one or the other. Rather, I would just
change my wheels for which place I was going. I'm 185lbs and
prefer wheels in the low to mid 90's duro range. So, I'm rolling a
hypothetical 96a (really 94 on my meter) on wood floors and the
a 93a on the epoxied concrete. Both sets of wheels have a good
rebound in the urethane as well. I find sticking with these and
applying the proper wheels to each floor gives me the best combo
of roll for speed/grip for turns.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 05:10 PM   #17
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Good to see you take it with a sense of humor, in the way it was intended
Speaking as a casual observer, that conversation was hilarious!
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Muse

Quote:

The Taller, Heavier, and Older you are - the more likely you are to Fall and get Injured - no matter good you are and what kind of Skating you're doing on any Surface.

Harold
I skate the streets and sidewalks exclusively. Unfortunately, smooth streets and sidewalks are rare around here but some are much better than others.

Nothing has helped my skating more than just years and years of experience, and I've been at it 29 years continuously. I used to wear wrist guards, elbow guards. I still wear leather gloves at all times when skating, but no other protection. However, I prefer to wear pants instead of shorts, have skinned a knee a couple of times, and that's not fun! I'm good enough now where I never wear my wrist or elbow guards. However, my gloves have saved me many many times.

I've taken a handful of falls the last 2 years or so where I didn't used to. Although I'm 75, I don't think it's due to advanced age, it's more because of my cataracts... it's a lot harder for me to make out imperfections in surfaces and debris than for people with good eyes. I'm scheduled for cataract surgery in 6 days!!! I finally talked my doctors into it, realized that it's the cataracts that was causing my falls. The last couple years I suffered a major hamstring tear, damage to both knees, sore wrists and hands, even banged my head on the pavement a couple months ago.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 06:29 PM   #19
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Nothing has helped my skating more than just years and years of experience, and I've been at it 29 years continuously.
WOW! Good for you! Impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
I'm scheduled for cataract surgery in 6 days!!! I finally talked my doctors into it, realized that it's the cataracts that was causing my falls.
Funny how doctors (and insurance companies since they actually are running the show) are about age. I'm glad you are getting the treatment you obviously need and I hope it goes well. My feeling is medical care should be based in need and the possibility of desirable long term outcome. You are active and sight is important. Hopefully your doctors were not trying to not fix your sight in an attempt to slow you down!

Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:14 PM   #20
Skatervideoguy

Hi Muse,

Quote:
I skate the streets and sidewalks exclusively.
Quote:
I used to wear wrist guards, elbow guards. I still wear leather gloves at all times when skating, but no other protection.
You're Far Braver than me. I have enough trouble staying Vertical on smooth Skating Floors.

Quote:
Nothing has helped my skating more than just years and years of experience, and I've been at it 29 years continuously.
I certainly agree that Experience counts, but I've skated since 1953, in over 160 Rinks, and I've found that it just simply does not always help. It does improve your chances of dealing with more situations - But -

Quote:
realized that it's the cataracts that was causing my falls.
Quote:
The last couple years I suffered a major hamstring tear, damage to both knees, sore wrists and hands, even banged my head on the pavement a couple months ago.
In January 2017, age 70, I finally succumbed to the Cataract issue. I was legally Blind without Glasses for most of my life, then suddenly I had 20/25 & 20/40 vision - with out Glasses - WOW - now I can get around without Glasses if I want. I had special Lenses put in to correct for most of my Vision issue. Ain't cheap, but well worth the $$$.

In spite of your Cataract issue, I'll bet you're also losing some Muscle mass, Bone mass, Reaction timing, not to mention Visual and Hearing Acuity and overall Stability - as we all do as we age up.

I do hope your Vision Improvement is significant and that it helps you Skate Safer.

I'd still recommend that you reconsider using all those Protective Items, plus Hard Shell Knee Protectors if you plan to continue your Skating Career - be it Outside or even in Rinks.

Skate Safe

Harold