S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:52 AM   #1
BigFoot

Default Props for nylon skate wear

I’m a strong guy…and by “strong” I mean strong smelling. Also sweaty. I have a ton of good qualities that offset these drawbacks, but that’s another story. I’m talking skate clothes. Me: outdoor skater, So Cal resident and, of course, strong and sweaty. So Cal: 284 days of sun, avg. temp 72⁰, and punishing summer heat. This is a recipe for grossness.

I try to wear as little clothing as possible when I skate. Perspiration is an effective coolant and I don't want to restrict it with clothing. I wear a t-shirt/muscle shirt, shorts, no-show socks, straw hat/sun visor. Skating in cotton clothing is good because it is soft and it breathes, at least until it gets sweat-soaked. Cotton is a bit cooler when soaked, but it’s heavy and clings to your body, thereby losing its comfort. Polyester is thinner than cotton and wicks away perspiration. Not really an improvement over cotton because it’s so damn hot. It like wearing a space blanket. Better used for cold temperatures than hot ones. For stench retention, cotton is worse than poly.

So last year I switched to nylon shirts, shorts and socks. This was a big improvement. It’s breathable, cool, lightweight, strong, abrasion resistant (for body slams on concrete), doesn’t shrink, doesn’t hold moisture, soft, smooth, resists mildew, blocks ultraviolet rays (not to be confused with ultra violent Ray the drunkard who hangs out at Jumbo’s Clown Room), fairly stretchy, thin, and quick drying. It’s the perfect fabric when you are dripping with sweat. Less body odor, too. The only negative seems to be the strange colors that are available. They are either pale, sickly-looking shades or bright fluorescent colors. Then again, maybe these are the designer’s idea of fashion statements, I dunno.

Anyway, I would like hear your thoughts on this. I am behind the times on most things, so if you know of something better let me know.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:13 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Lived in LA late 70's, know exactly what yer talkin bout.

My solution....I skated at night, lost to much weight skating in the sun.
Rode my road bike days, skated at night.

Today, for both, I wear hi-tech breathing clothing.
Ultra thin wool socks with a smear of body oil on the bottom of my feet.(best for circulation, avoiding blisters)
I avoid direct sun, hat, helmet, shirt and sun screen.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:12 AM   #3
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Jeez- the easy cure is just don't wear clothes......
Old April 24th, 2018, 04:53 PM   #4
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Lived in LA late 70's, know exactly what yer talkin bout.

My solution....I skated at night, lost to much weight skating in the sun.
Rode my road bike days, skated at night.

Today, for both, I wear hi-tech breathing clothing.
Ultra thin wool socks with a smear of body oil on the bottom of my feet.(best for circulation, avoiding blisters)
I avoid direct sun, hat, helmet, shirt and sun screen.
pretty much my solution. I burn really easy and work in a windowless office during the day (and I like that). I go out after sunset and skate the waterfront (that's also when most other folks are out of my way). once the temperature drops and you have the wind off the water, you can (and have to) go as fast as you like without overheating.
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:52 PM   #5
jotson

Excellent topic, but I don't even know where to look for nylon clothes. Not much shows up in a search, other than the long sleeve button down olive drab type shirts, any recommendations?

My use is only indoor rink skating. I have been buying polyester for some time, as it is much better than cotton. Rink rash is another topic, since it kind of "melts" itself into the brush burn.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #6
BigFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
where to look for nylon clothes
Yep, they are a little hard to find, especially in 100% nylon. They are more commonly offered in poly-nylon blends and nylon-spandex blends.

I got my shorts at Sam’s Club. Last year they had them in the Field & Stream brand. This year they have almost identical shorts under the Coleman label. Amazon sells similar shorts under the Wrangler and Nike labels. Both of those are reasonably priced at $18 - $25.

Got my t-shirts from Amazon under the Players label. I think they were only $8 - $10. Champion, Nike, Eddie Bauer, and Columbia also have them, but you have to search a bit to find the nylon ones. Nike has stylish shirts, but are expensive, like $40 or more. Same with REI Sporting Goods - $$$$.

The only place that has nylon (97%) no-show socks is Skechers, and you have to order them directly from their online store. They are $12 for a 3-pack.
Old April 29th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #7
fierocious1

Left cotton a long time ago. I use Wigwam triathlon socks, much better for my feet. All the rest is great for cooling.
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Anyway, I would like hear your thoughts on this. I am behind the times on most things, so if you know of something better let me know.
You are on the right track. Take a cue from Mountain bikers. Nylon, or sometimes, nylon cotton blends. It is really good for temp fluctuations, and or occasional showers. (Rain might stop you skating, but is ok by a mountain biker. ) If you don't like the styles you see at Target or a sporting goods store, check out some bike stuff.

You especially might like the baggier fitting shorts with a liner inside that prevents chaffing. You'll get a few handy pockets out of the deal as well as a bit of modesty from not showing the exact curve of your bum to everyone.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:39 AM   #9
BigFoot

Thanks rufusprime99. I feel like a dummy head because I do a lot of mountain and urban biking, and have bought jerseys and performance shorts in the past (though not lately). I’m sure they were poly blends back then, not nylon. So yeah, thanks for the tip. I prolly need to bump up my budget. As I recall, anything labeled “cycle clothes” carries a 400% mark-up.

It’s nice to know that you are with me on nylon or nylon-cotton blends and how cool they feel, but I was hoping to find some science to back it up. I have searched for thermal conductivity studies showing which fabrics and weaves allow heat and sweat to pass more easily from your body to help keep you cool. Considering the amount of money in sports clothing, there must be dozens or hundreds of studies like this, I just can’t find them, at least any that are written in layman ’s terms. Could it be a trade secret? Maybe someone else in SLF knows the answer.
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Thanks rufusprime99. I feel like a dummy head because I do a lot of mountain and urban biking, and have bought jerseys and performance shorts in the past (though not lately). I’m sure they were poly blends back then, not nylon. So yeah, thanks for the tip. I prolly need to bump up my budget. As I recall, anything labeled “cycle clothes” carries a 400% mark-up.

Yeah. Nothing wrong with a few "nicer" items in your lineup. Keep an eye out for beginning of season and end of season sales.

It’s nice to know that you are with me on nylon or nylon-cotton blends and how cool they feel, but I was hoping to find some science to back it up. I have searched for thermal conductivity studies showing which fabrics and weaves allow heat and sweat to pass more easily from your body to help keep you cool. Considering the amount of money in sports clothing, there must be dozens or hundreds of studies like this, I just can’t find them, at least any that are written in layman ’s terms. Could it be a trade secret? Maybe someone else in SLF knows the answer.
I did not dig deep into this at all. When I started mountain biking, I had some work buddies that brought me along in the whole process. Getting the wicking nylon shorts/jerseys was not questioned at all. What *I* can confirm is that compared to the nylon/cotton blends, nylon alone works better to wick. I really noticed that at Crested Butte as some clouds rolled in and things got cold quickly. All of my sweat moisture was gone, so no overcooling, and I stayed fairly warm until the sun peeked out again.
Old May 27th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Looking at the big picture....

Which kind of clothing lets your skin breathe?
Between a woman dressed in a satin dress and another dressed in cotton, who do you think was more comfortable? The lady dressed in cotton ofcourse! It isn't the length of the dress that dictates this answer but the breathability of the fabric.

Breathability can be defined as the fabric's ability to allow air and moisture to pass through it. This is determined by the composition of fibers and how tightly they are woven together. Wearing breathable fabric helps your skin breathe by allowing sweat to evaporate rather than block skin pores. This also helps regulate your body's temperature. So, when you go shopping for your summer wardrobe, look out for these fabrics.

Cotton: Cotton is a natural fiber hat can be found in a number of varieties. However, not all of them are breathable. For your skin to breathe, avoid cotton blends and stick to 100% cotton fabric. Seersucker and madras cotton are great for summer. Cotton clothes are ideal for dry summers as well as humid conditions.
Linen: The light weight nature of linen makes it an extremely breathable fabric. This natural fiber also absorbs moisture very well.
Light Silk: Silk is often termed as a winter material but light silks are ideal for any weather. Silk is highly absorbent and dries quickly thus allowing your skin to breathe. It also has natural climate regulating properties that allow it to stay cool in summers and warm in winters. Silk is also the most hypoallergenic fabric available.
Chambray: Chambray is a breathable alternative to denims. While heavy weight chambray has a rugged appeal, light weight chambray can have a casual as well as dressy appeal.
On that note, here are a few fabrics to avoid

Nylon: Nylon is a completely synthetic material with low absorption and a water repellant nature. Thus not only will it not allow sweat to evaporate, it will trap your sweat within your clothes. This is both uncomfortable and unhealthy.
Polyester and Polyester blends: Like nylon, polyester is water repellent and thus allows perspiration to between your clothes and your skin causing the garment to stick to the body. Don't assume a polyester cotton blend to be any better as even a 40% synthetic presence can keep the fabric from absorbing sweat.
Viscose or Rayon: Both these fabrics are often passed off as cotton. However they do not have the absorption or breathability nature of cotton. While it will not trap heat like nylon and polyester, rayon also repels water thus leading to a perspiration build up.
Satin: Satin is produced by weaving nylon and polyester together and hence is synthetic and does not allow the skin to breathe. Also satin is thick and heavy.
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:53 AM   #12
BigFoot

Good points, Ursle. In fact, I suspect that the reason I could not find a side-by-side evaluation of fabrics is due to all of the variations in weave, weight, fiber design, and treatment that would make it hard to do an “apples to apples” comparison between materials.

I also like silk. Nylon was originally developed as a substitute for silk and both can be made very thin (think woman’s hosiery). The thinness alone might be why they feel so cool to wear. They are too thin to provide any insulation and heat can radiate right through them. This is just a guess.

The weave is also a big part of how a fabric breathes and wicks away moisture. From what I have read there have been big improvements in this part of fabric design as well.

All I know is that nylon clothing feels cool and dry to me. I just wish I could find some lab results that would support my opinion.
Old May 28th, 2018, 07:26 PM   #13
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Breathability can be defined as the fabric's ability to allow air and moisture to pass through it.
Nylon: Nylon is a completely synthetic material with low absorption and a water repellant nature. Thus not only will it not allow sweat to evaporate, it will trap your sweat within your clothes. This is both uncomfortable and unhealthy.
Polyester and Polyester blends: Like nylon, polyester is water repellent and thus allows perspiration to between your clothes and your skin causing the garment to stick to the body.
ursle, you mentioned you wear hi-tech breathable clothes, but then this post implying cotton is best For me, polyester golf shirts are way better than 100% cotton. Materials that absorb do exactly that, and you end up with a nasty wet shirt. Still have to try nylon, but for my indoor rink activities, the golf shirts are fine.
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:21 PM   #14
ursle
Street Skater

The article is describing the best clothing for "standing" on a hot day, and it makes the point, nylon is the worst thing to wear, it doesn't breath.
Wrestlers and Boxers wear nylon to lose weight....

The article is not describing what to wear while exercising, the only time I wear cotton is while weedeating, I wear jeans.

So, for sitting around, cotton, linen ans silk are great.
For staying cool while doing arduous activity, breathable fabrics, not cotton

BTW, cotton socks are the worst thing you could put on your feet while exercising, well, two pair of cotton socks would be worse than one pair
Old July 29th, 2018, 05:43 PM   #15
jotson

Gap has Gap Men's Hybrid Khaki Pants in Slim or Straight Fit w/ Gapflex [gap.com] (priced at $34.99) for $17.50 after code EXTRA. Shipping is free with code EVERYTHING.

These are 95% Nylon, 5% Spandex

I only skate indoor session, so these khakis should work well in the fall.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 05:54 PM   #16
BigFoot

Default Re: Gap Nylon Pants

Thx. Jotson. I just placed my order. BTW, the code, "EXTRA" has expired. The new code is "FRIEND." Total with tax was $22 and includes free shipping.

I originally wanted to try a pair for skating, of course, and I still do. But I went hiking last week and found a new reason to try them. I was hiking through scrub brush on an overgrown trail while wearing nylon shorts. The shorts were cool enough, but did not give any leg protection against scratches. So I'm looking forward to trying them out in the wild. Long pants would also protect against poison oak, sunburn and biting insects. I just hope they feel cool, too.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:06 PM   #17
jotson

Quote:
I just hope they feel cool, too.
Mine showed up already, they are nice and thin - still have to check them in the heat. They feel like they will be at least as good as my poly golf pants.

Of course, nylon isn't the quietest material out there.