S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2018, 12:19 AM   #1
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 161
Default Adult Night Skate - Dance protocols?

So the rink I go to has lots of couples only songs. I have done this a few times only, have the skills to do most of them, but have no idea how people get involved, but really want to do more.

I noticed many people dance with different partners sometimes. How does one participate or get involved. How did you get involved? Is it common to ask a stranger?

Unlike dancing at a club there is obviously more trust involved, men usually lead and they are the ones doing most of the "looking out". My feeling is you have to be seen doing it before allot before you can ask anyone or for that matter even know what moves they are comfortable with right?

Anyway, I don't know how to get started. How did you get started?

It's something I really enjoy, would like to get better at as well, but without a partner it seems almost impossible.
__________________
Riedell 336 Boot , Roll-Line Energy plate, Roll-Line Panther wheels -95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh
Senior Member
 
Oicusk82huh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 408
Default

After reading your post, you got me noticing that there are a lot of guys that don't know how to couples-skate, but they would love to learn. So even though I kind of REALLY suck at it, I laced up my skates and tried to expand on my limited experience. (Also, there were so many adorable guys skating that I just couldn't resist). Yup, I'm a lady. My advice...just skate up to her on the skate floor, hold out your hand and see if she'll take it. If she doesn't, just say, "oh well," and smile. Try again on the next lady. If she takes your hand then put her in this position.....

Watch this video from 0 to 20 seconds. Forget the feet, FOCUS ON THE ARM POSITION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou12ei-emWs

This is the easiest position to start with. Your right hand holds her right hand and left hand holds her left hand. From this position you can do almost anything including spin her or yourself around without letting go (because your hands are criss-crossed). She can go backward while you skate forward and vice versa. If you're side by side you can both skate forwards and backwards next to each other and change directions. Use your body's pressure to lead her and pull her at the same time.

I didn't watch the entire next video, but at around 58 seconds you'll see a number of positions that come out of that starting position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTtmBBv5gRE

It's good to have a pro teach you, but if that's not possible, than pick a partner that is a little below your level and learn together.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 03:48 PM   #3
bchampion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Default Couples / Ballroom Skating

I like this discussion because I'm now trying to learn this couples skating style called ballroom skating. It's a smooth, rhythmic groove that's catching on nation-wide. I have included some links for your viewing pleasure, tell me what you think? Any and All Responses Welcomed!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRviamZEI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHJaGylJms

Advice: The men "Should" be the stronger skater and very comfortable with balance and as Oicusk82huh pointed out: FOCUS ON THE ARM POSITION. Secondly, the men should ask the lady unless she's a stronger skater/teacher.

Back in the days we (men) asked, and asked, and asked....by not being afraid of rejection we enjoyed skating couples for years and years. Nowadays, men are scared to ask and women are waiting....It's not about being Mr. Smooth Operator or Casanova, and it's not about wanting or trying to date. It comes down to finding, wanting and making friends with something in common.

Don't let the desire of wanting to learn different styles stop you. Step out your "Comfort-Zone", you never know the outcome.
bchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,331
Default What an awesme pkace to skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
After reading your post, you got me noticing that there are a lot of guys that don't know how to couples-skate, but they would love to learn. So even though I kind of REALLY suck at it, I laced up my skates and tried to expand on my limited experience. (Also, there were so many adorable guys skating that I just couldn't resist). Yup, I'm a lady. My advice...just skate up to her on the skate floor, hold out your hand and see if she'll take it. If she doesn't, just say, "oh well," and smile. Try again on the next lady. If she takes your hand then put her in this position.....

Watch this video from 0 to 20 seconds. Forget the feet, FOCUS ON THE ARM POSITION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou12ei-emWs

This is the easiest position to start with. Your right hand holds her right hand and left hand holds her left hand. From this position you can do almost anything including spin her or yourself around without letting go (because your hands are criss-crossed). She can go backward while you skate forward and vice versa. If you're side by side you can both skate forwards and backwards next to each other and change directions. Use your body's pressure to lead her and pull her at the same time.

I didn't watch the entire next video, but at around 58 seconds you'll see a number of positions that come out of that starting position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTtmBBv5gRE

It's good to have a pro teach you, but if that's not possible, than pick a partner that is a little below your level and learn together.
We donít have anything like that around here. My home town still does the Hokey Pokey and Chicken Dance every session. Where is that?
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:28 PM   #5
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,331
Default Nice style

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchampion View Post
I like this discussion because I'm now trying to learn this couples skating style called ballroom skating. It's a smooth, rhythmic groove that's catching on nation-wide. I have included some links for your viewing pleasure, tell me what you think? Any and All Responses Welcomed!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRviamZEI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHJaGylJms

Advice: The men "Should" be the stronger skater and very comfortable with balance and as Oicusk82huh pointed out: FOCUS ON THE ARM POSITION. Secondly, the men should ask the lady unless she's a stronger skater/teacher.

Back in the days we (men) asked, and asked, and asked....by not being afraid of rejection we enjoyed skating couples for years and years. Nowadays, men are scared to ask and women are waiting....It's not about being Mr. Smooth Operator or Casanova, and it's not about wanting or trying to date. It comes down to finding, wanting and making friends with something in common.

Don't let the desire of wanting to learn different styles stop you. Step out your "Comfort-Zone", you never know the outcome.
Iíd try it but my wife doesnít skate. And she really hates it when I couple skate with someone else.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Skatervideoguy
Senior Member
 
Skatervideoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olathe, Ks
Posts: 961
Default

Hi bchampion, netplaceus, Oicusk82huh,

We have a few doing some Couple Skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSAVUttIwik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2i2QosAWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtwEwuS6gpY

This is the most Skilled couple.

Harold
__________________
297's on Centurys, 220's on Snyder Advantage, BackSpin 95's, Bones 97's, 98's, 101A's, Skating 65+yrs & still Rollin at 71+. Great Lifetime Hobby to have !
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:36 AM   #7
netplaceus
David
 
netplaceus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 161
Default

Thank you all so much, this is great information awesome links too!

Great hearing a ladies perspective on it.
__________________
Riedell 336 Boot , Roll-Line Energy plate, Roll-Line Panther wheels -95A, Me: 165 lb, 6'2"
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #8
jbgerman
Senior Member
 
jbgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
We donít have anything like that around here. My home town still does the Hokey Pokey and Chicken Dance every session. Where is that?
This is in The Netherlands. The Hague.

http://www.quadsk8.nl/Info/soulful-f...ekend-seminars

https://www.facebook.com/esquintfoundation/
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.