S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:41 PM   #21
Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi Muse,

You're Far Braver than me. I have enough trouble staying Vertical on smooth Skating Floors.

I certainly agree that Experience counts, but I've skated since 1953, in over 160 Rinks, and I've found that it just simply does not always help. It does improve your chances of dealing with more situations - But -

In January 2017, age 70, I finally succumbed to the Cataract issue. I was legally Blind without Glasses for most of my life, then suddenly I had 20/25 & 20/40 vision - with out Glasses - WOW - now I can get around without Glasses if I want. I had special Lenses put in to correct for most of my Vision issue. Ain't cheap, but well worth the $$$.

In spite of your Cataract issue, I'll bet you're also losing some Muscle mass, Bone mass, Reaction timing, not to mention Visual and Hearing Acuity and overall Stability - as we all do as we age up.

I do hope your Vision Improvement is significant and that it helps you Skate Safer.

I'd still recommend that you reconsider using all those Protective Items, plus Hard Shell Knee Protectors if you plan to continue your Skating Career - be it Outside or even in Rinks.

Skate Safe

Harold
Years of outdoor skating in all manner of difficult situations has given me an edge. I think it's a fantastic way to stay in the moment. You can't lose that edge for 1/2 a second.

As a kid I skated some in ice rinks but never enough to gain much confidence. I'm a little curious to know how I'd fare on ice now but they closed down the rink that was around 4 blocks away some years ago. I don't even know where there's any kind of skating rink round here. They exist, but I don't know about them. I'd need new wheels to roller skate in a rink. I don't imagine I'll bother.

What I'm apt to do in a few days is skate at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco. I do that most years, it's an absolute blast!!! Day after that festival is my eye surgery.

The lenses that they're putting in my eyes next Monday are for close focus (target 40cm), so I'll need glasses for everything except reading and such. I've been like that my whole life, so won't have any issues with it.

My muscle mass is down from 25 years ago but not a ton. I still go to the gym every other day and hit the weights. I bicycle when I'm not skating. If it rains or I'm going to Costco, I'll drive. My overall stability is still pretty darn good. I think the skating has something to do with that, actually, and also the gym work, obviously. I do a lot of core exercises and stretches besides the muscle work.

I bought knee protectors many years ago and they're sitting in my kitchen presently, because of the knee damage I suffered over the summer. I never got around to attaching them to elastic and velcro and wearing them. Before I got around to doing that I simply stopped falling! Now, the last 6 months or so, I could have used them. It's the darn cataracts. Anyway, even when I fall, I generally manage to keep from hurting myself by virtue of the leather gloves. Boggles my mind when I see skaters without gloves. I mean quads and inline. Skateboarders, I suppose, can land on their feet when they lose balance or hit some debris. I've been thinking about getting a skateboard. They are very very common around here, you see them everywhere, seems like more than ever these days. I seldom see another skater here, even inlines.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote