S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Jack31081

Default 'Freeride' skates...alternative to Front Man?

Hey. I used to skate a good bit back in middle school and high school, some street hockey and some just cruising around town, streets sidewalks and such.

It's been a good 7 years now and I'm looking to buy a new pair of skates. I can't say I'm too much into the current selection of rec skates and fitness skates out there, but I'm not sure how full out aggressive skates would hold up for cruising. I feel like the small wheels would make for some tiresome riding.

So I think I'm looking for a shorter frame skate along the lines of the K2 Front Man, more maneuverable than a rec skate but with larger wheels for a bit of speed...however I'm a size 11 and I can't find a single site that sells them any bigger than a 9. I joined this forum to get some advice from you guys as to what my options are. What makes and models are out there that fit what I'm looking for?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Jack31081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
s243a

If you think the wheels are too small on aggressive skates you might want to check out the rollerblade twister pro. It is a popular skate for people who do freestyle slalom skating. As another alterative rollerblade released a new skate called the point 8 skate. In has a new frame called the switch frame which allows the largest wheels of any aggressive skate. The frame can be used on other skates but in order to get the maximum wheel size with other skates it is necessary to drummal holes in the soul plates for the wheels.
s243a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
B_rI_a_N
Needs no stinkin helmet

any skate will hold up to rec use just fine. just get a tall frame and throw some 62mm wheels on there and you're set.
B_rI_a_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #4
s243a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rI_a_N View Post
any skate will hold up to rec use just fine. just get a tall frame and throw some 62mm wheels on there and you're set.
That's true but if he is stair bashing he might want something built stronger with more support.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
geriatricskate

Some people who have big feet have bought themselves the biggest Xsjado shell and skate them with their own trainers.
I skate xsjado with a featherlite frame and 62mm Cozmo fly wheels.
geriatricskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
B_rI_a_N
Needs no stinkin helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by s243a View Post
That's true but if he is stair bashing he might want something built stronger with more support.

if you're talking about rolling down stairs, support isn't much of an issue, just about any aggressive skate will have the support for that.

but jumping stairs isn't much difference.

if you want the PERFGECT "freeride" setup... salomon skates (any model, theyre all the same) with rec frames and rec or hockey wheels. thats the kind of setup they'd use in europe for their freeskating.
B_rI_a_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #7
s243a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rI_a_N View Post
if you want the PERFGECT "freeride" setup... salomon skates (any model, theyre all the same) with rec frames and rec or hockey wheels. thats the kind of setup they'd use in europe for their freeskating.
As I said above the rollerblade twister pro is a salomon skate. I'm not sure what you mean by rec frames. Maybe a rec frame might have a lower center of gravity then a slalom frame but I'm not sure if you can change the frames on them.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #8
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Yes, the small wheels are not really suited for roads that are rougher than sidewalk pavement. Would shock absorbing frames help?

I don't know, but maybe you don't want an aggro skate. Or if you do I would get a setup for cruising and a setup for aggro. Kind of like skateboarders who long board to the skate park and whip out their freestyle boards for the ramps.

I am note sure you are going to find good middle ground on this. I have been fighting this issue with my setup. I want to be able to slalom, but aggro skates are not really suitable. So I may have to bite the bullet and get me some $500 Sebas. Not cheap, but are very well suited for slalom. Right now I am doing slalom on rec skates.

I used to cruise on rec skates all over the city in SLC Utah. Aggro would be a bad choice for an area like that. A good rec skate on smooth pavement can easily handle 40 mph. I don't think and aggro skate would be good for that. I would also say rec skates would be easier to learn to ride stairs. I used to jump stair sets with rec skates too.

So, get two skates if you want to do aggro. One set for cruising and another for ramps or street aggro. Also get a skate backpack to carry the other one. Just don't ever let either one out of your sight. Or they will be bye bye. May want to lock them to something somehow.
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #9
s243a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
I am note sure you are going to find good middle ground on this. I have been fighting this issue with my setup. I want to be able to slalom, but aggro skates are not really suitable. So I may have to bite the bullet and get me some $500 Sebas. Not cheap, but are very well suited for slalom. Right now I am doing slalom on rec skates.
Yeah, I think the Sebas skate is the most recommended but the rollerblade twister pro is cheaper. I have heard of another skate mentioned in the slalom form that is cheaper then both of those but it is not recommended.