S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 17th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #21
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKSkater View Post
Do any of you skate at the eastern seaboard series in trexlertown, pa? If so, do you know how many laps a 10K is? From the different people who I have asked, there seems to be a lot of dispute over the actual distance of one loop. On the sign at the track it says that one big loop is 1.3 miles, which would mean that 5 laps would be just over a 10K (6.5 miles). But, for any of you have actually raced there, how many loops do they actually call a 10K? I know that the track is covered with ice, as of today, but that is where I'm going to go to time myself every once in a while.

Thanks for the help!
ADK - as you may remember from the previous thread in September on the Trexlertown course, both myself and my husband skate the Eastern Seaboard Series (I skate Advanced, my husband skates Pro Veteran), as does forum member Anne, aka Skateskateskate. After the last post string in September (in which both myself, Anne and you were involved) about the lap distance, I emailed the Eastern Seaboard Series race director, Bob Albanese. He told me that "he thinks" the sign says "1.03" not "1.3." Kevin and I don't live close enough to just drive by and take a look at the sign (we live about an hour and 20 minutes away), but I did bring this concern to his attention. Bob coaches an indoor team in Bethlehem (a branch of SOS Speed), and he lives in the general area, so I am sure he'll look at the sign again next time he's there. For the 10k Advanced race, we've always done 6 laps, and I've done 10k races there for 3 seasons now (since 2003). As Anne and I said in that other thread, if the loop is actually 1.3 miles, then we've been doing one lap too much. I also mentioned to Bob Albanese that we should have someone on a bike with an odometer check the exact distance. That would solve the issue. I will tell you though, having skated competively for a couple years, given the race lap times at T-town, even my own lap times, I think the loop is probably just over a mile, not over a mile and a quarter. But, we'll see, right? And, if it is, in fact, 1.3 miles, I am certain Bob will adjust the laps accordingly. Glad to see that we may see you on the starting line in the spring!

Happy holidays!

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #22
ADKSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Bob coaches an indoor team in Bethlehem (a branch of SOS Speed), and he lives in the general area, so I am sure he'll look at the sign again next time he's there.
Julie
Thanks for all the info. I'll look at the sign again next time I'm there (probably after new years). It would make sense if I misread that sign and thought that it was 1.3, rather than 1.03. Do you know where it is in Bethlehem that the indoor team practices? I live near that area, and now that it is getting to be winter months here I'm trying to find more places to skate indoors. I have just recently learned that there is an indoor rink in trexlertown, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. My roommate and I were going to go today, but the weather wasn't so great and the roads were pretty bad. But, it would be nice to know about some other places that aren't that far also.

Thanks a lot and happy holidays!
ADKSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #23
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

If you go to mapmyrun.com, you can trace the trail and see what distance you think it is for yourself. As long as there aren't too many trees...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #24
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKSkater View Post
Thanks for all the info. I'll look at the sign again next time I'm there (probably after new years). It would make sense if I misread that sign and thought that it was 1.3, rather than 1.03. Do you know where it is in Bethlehem that the indoor team practices? I live near that area, and now that it is getting to be winter months here I'm trying to find more places to skate indoors. I have just recently learned that there is an indoor rink in trexlertown, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. My roommate and I were going to go today, but the weather wasn't so great and the roads were pretty bad. But, it would be nice to know about some other places that aren't that far also.

Thanks a lot and happy holidays!
You're welcome! The rink in Bethlehem where the indoor speed team practices is Skateaway. I haven't been up there in awhile, but it was easy to get to. Check their website: www.sosspeed.com. There's further contact info. there as well.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote