S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
geriatricskate

Default "Geriatric" aggessive skaters

As the title states; I am interested to find out how many >50 year olds do skate aggressive in the hope to find more of us! Surely I cannot be the only one.....
geriatricskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

soon, soon. haha.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #3
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

I just turned 50.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #4
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
I just turned 50.
Do you still skate aggressive?
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
Do you still skate aggressive?
I do what I can. I like to roll up and down anything resembling a ramp, do a few stalls and make a feeble attempt at H block grinds. I don't attempt soul grinds because of the arthritis in my feet and ankles. Just plain cruising gets boring after a couple of blocks so I at least try to jazz it up a little bit. My 3 year old grandson seems to be taking an interest in skateboarding so I want to be able to roll with him.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Dam you guys are old! (those words are getting harder to come by daily! heh.....)

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
geriatricskate

@Foot2big: your popularity has just increased.......................................................... (the survival rate of people who call me old is pretty poor....... )

@RSDave: go for the soul! Start by stepping the grind on and tilt your grind foot a little over the coping so that you don't slip off.
I am about to learn rails that way (at 00:37 to see)
http://vimeo.com/3068874

sooner or later I will jump onto one. Just not right now.
(and for all to quickly forget; I'll be 52 ... er 29 again the end of this month)
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

You know I'm just pulling your chain.
I can't hardly even get all the way around the bowl like I could 6 months ago. See my Old, fat and out of shape post......
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #9
geriatricskate

@Foot2big: son ( ) I have no idea how far Oklahoma city is from Boston or Denver; but the day I am in your country I am up for a skate session
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
geriatricskate

sooner or late I have got to skate all the skate parks my daughter sends me pictures of - and her final destiny is Denver..... (her Joel lives there)
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Well, boston is about 1600 miles away, but you'll have to pass somewhat closely to okc to get to Denver from there (I was actually born in Denver!) Hoffman Action park is WELL worth the diversion. I think it currently rates #7 or #8 out of the top ten skateparks in the country.

I'd love to have you over, and you guys would be welcome to stay with us in my new house!

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...~0~0&encType=1
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #12
geriatricskate

By the time I make it to America it will be Denver. My daughter is hell bend on moving there! Her Joel is a pretty good skateboarder and will point me to the skate parks! He has been here in England once to learn that this old bat ain't gonna cook dinner unless having been treated to skating (bribes always work) And for an American skateboarder to find spots for a skater..... (my next resort would hve been violence, but Joel did believe the rumours .................... )

btw; how is that volcano doing at yellow stone park? *gulp*
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM   #13
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricskate View Post
btw; how is that volcano doing at yellow stone park? *gulp*
It puffs tourists in the air a couple of hundred feet every summer. Since they reintroduced the timber wolf the tourist cleanup has pretty much taken care of itself. Other than that it is just fine. It is great how nature takes care of itself. On the serious side, if the volcano goes you will probably see it from the UK. As it is a BIG volcano.

If you decide to go to Yellowstone take a .45 cal gun with you. The animals have and do eat people from time to time. My existence is thanked to a double barrel shotgun and a grandfather willing to pay the fine for cutting a grizzly in half with it. Last year a child was pulled out of his tent and eaten by a bear. They had a gun, but could not find him fast enough in the dark. Sad, but a sober reminder that nature is STILL wild out here.

Don't forget to stop by the Idaho Falls skate park as it is on the way if you take I-15 north to go to Yellowstone. However, it may be out of the way if you are coming from Colorado...
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM   #14
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

haha one time i was hiking hetch hetchy trail (yosemite) and we came across a bear. my friend told me to start singing. i was like "what do i sing???"

"anything!!! just sing"

"what? it's not like i can just come up with an ad hoc song under pressure! i need requests!"

him: "well, how about DO YOU HAVE A TOOTHPICK" by the Recently-Sated Bear? do you know that song?"

"oh."

so i started singing row row row your boat. haha. bear tilted his head in a confused sort of manner and then turned and walked away.

i love that song.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM   #15
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
haha one time i was hiking hetch hetchy trail (yosemite) and we came across a bear. my friend told me to start singing. i was like "what do i sing???"

"anything!!! just sing"

"what? it's not like i can just come up with an ad hoc song under pressure! i need requests!"

him: "well, how about DO YOU HAVE A TOOTHPICK" by the Recently-Sated Bear? do you know that song?"

"oh."

so i started singing row row row your boat. haha. bear tilted his head in a confused sort of manner and then turned and walked away.

i love that song.
Yeah, that is the SAME song that saved Lewis and Clark when they came through that area. Of course they were actually rowing a boat away from the animals...
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM   #16
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Theres nothing aggressive about my skating now. Not since I've started skating again after the broken arm. I've learned to unicycle including riding a wheels as big as I am and dirt jump with my bike on the soft ground, but concrete has turned me into a wus. But I'm going out there now and SLOWLY get my game on again. Airs are kinda out for now except on my bike. I'm slowly getting back on the coping. I've only been 4 times but now night classes are done, no more weeks of rain, my arm is fine. So I can go to the local kiddie skatepark. I cant afford the transportation now to the bowls either which sucks since thats what I love. But I need to get a little gutsy again. I have another surgery next week but thats just to loosen the joint capsule. Maybe after thats done and over with, I can start to gain confidence again.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #17
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I cant afford the transportation now to the bowls either which sucks since thats what I love.
You could always skate there.

I lived on skates until I got married.
Skated to work.
Worked on skates.
Skated home.
Skated downtown...to go skating.
Skated to the skating rink in order to skate.
Skated to the store.
You get the idea....
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #18
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
You could always skate there.

I lived on skates until I got married.
Skated to work.
Worked on skates.
Skated home.
Skated downtown...to go skating.
Skated to the skating rink in order to skate.
Skated to the store.
You get the idea....
40 miles one way is too far with anything without a motor lol. Not to mention monster hills here right into intersections, very dangerous, and the fact that rollerskates are considered toys and NOT allowed on streets period. And bicycles arent even allowed on the beltway here either. But I guess I can go once a month. I'm just going to the kiddie skatepark and find ways to amuse myself on the back and forth ramps. They have a tiny half pipe so I need to get back with the lip tricks I guess. Otherwise it gets dull pretty quick.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM   #19
biffsk8er

RD, maybe you already know of all of these, but here is a link to a googled map of skate parks in your area. Maybe you can find something closer, or on a bus route?
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Gaithersburg,+MD+skate+park&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&ei=HB0YSpPuOZq0NdCQhJMP&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I joined the gaithersburg skatepark. They mostly have flat ramps and quarter pipes to launch yourself onto ledges. Thats not for me. But there is a small mini ramp. I actually might just put my hard wheels on and stick with that mostly. I didnt hold myself back from falling today, so fell twice as I need to do this in order to not fear it. I havent fallen really at all since I've started skating again.

The skate lite there is freaking hot (not sure about handplants on that) but falling on it was like nothing. I finally got to the point where once I looked down it like I was on my bike and starting thinking WTF, this is nothing. I finally got myself to squat my butt down and push and on top the coping for a confident stall finally. Not this tip toe stuff on top of it I've been doing. Then I started wusing out again. But it was good enough to know I just need to go as much as I can and put in a little time. Its only open like 5 hrs a day so it conflicts with work at times, but I'll try to get there 4 days or more a week. Once I can stop looking at the coping like its on fire and stomp on it and fly above it, I'll start doing the back stalls and grinds. But I've never did a grind on such a narrow ramp though.....

But now I'm mad that I'm afraid of these simple ramps. But being mad means I'm determined to conquer it and slam it to smithereens lol. I didnt think mentally this injury would hold me back like this. Then again, I am not sure many people who would even try to come back after what I've been through so its cool I'm working through it.

I'll have a decent video by end of summer. And make sure I get a camera man to actually video me lol. Or least I will bring a tripod next time lol.