S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default upper body lifting

I'm being trained as a bike mechanic so that means I need to lift downhill bikes up and up to my eye level. So need to get stronger! I will double check on Friday if I can lift to max but he said I could work on bikes already so sure its OK.

So far I'm doing deadlifts to clings to military press with dumbbells until he gives me the OK to go heavier with the barbell. Then pushups. What else might be good? My upper body is generally neglected lol.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
roller_dudette
skate addict!

bump.

Dr. said my arm is now 100% healed and I have no limits. So any help on exercises? Yep, I can lift all my muscles can carry.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #3
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups and dips will give you some serious upper body strength. Other than that a good weight lifting routine will do a real bang up job for you.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Randy Edwards

As a former national champion Powerlifter and also held world squat records(2) as a teen during my competitive skating hay day , I have tried on occasion to give advice on lifting here to no avail ,also i dabbled ( won the ABA spring nationals at Burlington NC) in Bmx also my sons raced BMX as well

oh I was also a personal trainer to a world famous downhill/ bmx racer also

getting stronger = resistance x %... not just adding weight randomly

Pm me if you would like to discuss this
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Thanks for responding! Randy I WILL pm you!!

Let me clarify further on the functional strength I need. I need to do mostly lifting UP. I need to lift bikes up from the ground to eye level or higher, up to 40 lbs. I also now have a 24" wheel race BMX that I want to dirt jump so lifting the handlebars and I ride a unicycle so I want to lift the seat to hop. I am weak because my arm was broken and in a cast for 7 months. So my arms are kinda weak still. But its 100% healed, bone is full strength so I'm OK now to get strong!! I have been careful so just started lifting up to 40 lb bikes. Struggling.

Thats why I thought compound lifts with a barbell might be good. I dont think I can do chin ups yet. Plus that is pushing down, not lifting objects up from below.

My legs are pretty strong now though for skating!! So OK there.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

RD, the trick for you, since you have good lower body strength and balance, is to squat down until the bike is at eye level, then grab and lift with your legs. Use your strength to your advantage, and you'll get it, no problem.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Nostalgic

Try bent and upright rowing. Three sets of three reps.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Thanks for responding! Randy I WILL pm you!!

Let me clarify further on the functional strength I need. I need to do mostly lifting UP. I need to lift bikes up from the ground to eye level or higher, up to 40 lbs. I also now have a 24" wheel race BMX that I want to dirt jump so lifting the handlebars and I ride a unicycle so I want to lift the seat to hop. I am weak because my arm was broken and in a cast for 7 months. So my arms are kinda weak still. But its 100% healed, bone is full strength so I'm OK now to get strong!! I have been careful so just started lifting up to 40 lb bikes. Struggling.

Thats why I thought compound lifts with a barbell might be good. I dont think I can do chin ups yet. Plus that is pushing down, not lifting objects up from below.

My legs are pretty strong now though for skating!! So OK there.

luckily for you even tho the cruisers are bigger and heavier then the 20" bikes they are easier to pull up with *** you will be manualing soon enough
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #9
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I built my first bike by myself today! I'm picking it up faster then the guys he said and got the wheel trued within a 1/2 mm, so doing well. Its just hard to pull the bike out of the boxes and up to the stand. Also need better grip strength. Still managing. So using my legs isnt that helpful as most things are lifting up to my head since I'm a shorty lol. Rows, good thing! So 3 reps of 3, heaviest? Like 2 times a week during the week so weekends my arms are recovered? I guess for grip strength, I need the hand grippers? I will do the exercises with dumbbells for my wrist for forearm strength too. I need to be able to take off the bottom bracket eventually.....

Its too bad bike mechanics dont make a lot of money cause I really enjoy it lol. And making skates too! I must find a job where I'm good at it, enjoy it AND can make a living lol. For now least its a job and I LOVE it!
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Nostalgic

Pick a weight that leaves you moderately fatigued by the third rep but not wiped out for a heavy day The usual is three times a week on alternate days with a heavy-light-medium schedule. Then the weekends are for recovery. An ordinary tennis ball will work for grip strength.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Madcow

Lifting bicycles is not the same as lifting weights. It hard to keep a bicycle close to your body especially when you're taking it out of a box.
My advice is start lifting you bike when it gets easier put ankle weights on it until you reach a combined weight of 40lbs.
Where I work we stack pallets all day long by hand some are 19lbs while others are over 40lbs.
You cant grab a pallet like you grab a barbell, most of the time our hands are almost 4ft apart plus when the stack is over our heads we throw the pallets on top, you don't do that lifting weights.

Last edited by Madcow; March 29th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
Madcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So basically I should lift MY mountain bike above my head and then add ankle weights to it? Gosh, thats probably the best idea! I wonder what I can do for my forearms to get the strength. I guess I'll do the compound exercises twice a week. I seem to need more rest time and weekends with work I will lift a lot. And maybe lift my bike everyday or every other day?

I appreciate the help. I am not so concerned about looks, just to be functionally strong in my job which I am loving and BMX/unicycling thing too. I guess rows are good for that as I am pulling up at waist level. Its important to be strong to have more fun. And also important for me to keep my bones and muscles in my arm strong and as big as possible so I never break an arm again.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #13
sk8scott

A few options for forearm strength:

1. Get one of those resistance squeezers for grip strength. Set the resistance low enough that it's easy to fully squeeze once or twice, but high enough so you'll feel the burn after multiple reps. Do reps to fatigue with each hand a few times every other day.

2. Get something that weighs about 5 lbs, and tie it with about 3 feet of rope to a broomstick / lacrosse pole / whatever. Hold the bar with both hands, palms down, arms extended in front of you. Use your forearms / wrists to twist the rope upward until the weight "climbs" up to within about 6 inches of the bar. Then, gradually lower the weight by twisting the bar in the opposite direction. You keep the bar almost parallel to the ground while doing this. You will feel the burn!

As you get stronger, you can add reps. Depending on the amount of weight you use, you might only be able to do 1-2 reps at first. If you can't get 1 rep, you need to use less weight. If the bar is too slippery, you can apply some tennis grip tape where your hands go.

3. Good old wrist curls: Take a dumbell of suitable size (I'm guessing about 5lbs in your situation), and extend / flex your wrists repeatedly for multiple reps (somewhere between 20 and 50). You can do these seated with palms facing up, or standing with palms facing down. I've seen most people do the former, but the latter technique has been more effective for me.

Hope this helps!
----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #14
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
A few options for forearm strength:

1. Get one of those resistance squeezers for grip strength. Set the resistance low enough that it's easy to fully squeeze once or twice, but high enough so you'll feel the burn after multiple reps. Do reps to fatigue with each hand a few times every other day.

2. Get something that weighs about 5 lbs, and tie it with about 3 feet of rope to a broomstick / lacrosse pole / whatever. Hold the bar with both hands, palms down, arms extended in front of you. Use your forearms / wrists to twist the rope upward until the weight "climbs" up to within about 6 inches of the bar. Then, gradually lower the weight by twisting the bar in the opposite direction. You keep the bar almost parallel to the ground while doing this. You will feel the burn!

As you get stronger, you can add reps. Depending on the amount of weight you use, you might only be able to do 1-2 reps at first. If you can't get 1 rep, you need to use less weight. If the bar is too slippery, you can apply some tennis grip tape where your hands go.

3. Good old wrist curls: Take a dumbell of suitable size (I'm guessing about 5lbs in your situation), and extend / flex your wrists repeatedly for multiple reps (somewhere between 20 and 50). You can do these seated with palms facing up, or standing with palms facing down. I've seen most people do the former, but the latter technique has been more effective for me.

Hope this helps!
----Scott
Great, awesome!! I forgot about the broomstick thingy as I did that in PT but it was a wooden dowel. I have some rope from the hay I get. So I'll make that. So more reps is best? I guess thats right as in work its more continuous. I'll start on non work days or days I do sales mostly so I dont over do it to start. My backside is actually sore lol.

So I guess I can do all those forearm exercises, then rows, deadlifts, military press, lifting my MTB as the main exercises most similar to what I would use, then add others as I can handle.

I guess after being disabled, being abled is VERY enjoyable!
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Madcow

Default Core strength

Here's a couple of video's on building core strength.
The Plank
Plank & side plank

I don't know if this exercise program works, its called The One Hundred Push Up Program.

These were posted on a local motorcycle forum.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #16
roller_dudette
skate addict!

My core and legs are pretty strong now thanks to the uni and weights!

I did one day the barbell, 25 lbs with mostly back/shoulder exercises. Then I did the next day arm/forearm/wrist exercises at PT using 8 lbs except 6 lbs for tricepts as due to my elbow soreness, thats weaker. 3 sets of 10. I did 25 pushups, the rope/stick thing and hammer with 5 lbs added to it. Today between my bones I am getting some mild sharp pains in the muscle. I put a call in to the Dr. I know he will say its just spasms again from not being used to this activity. Its really mild but guess I will ease into it. So rest today. Should I just do all these exercises 2 times a week and slowly move up I assume? I guess I should wait for the Dr. but I know he will say its a spasm from increased activity when my muscles arent used to it. I got a grip thing today and try to lift as much as possible. My bf thinks mowing grass is ideal for me lol.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:44 AM   #17
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
My bf thinks mowing grass is ideal for me lol.
Especially if it's HIS lawn.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM   #18
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
Especially if it's HIS lawn.

It IS his lol.

Well Dr. said to stop lifting for now until the pain goes away. Then ease into it more.