S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #301
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychointraining View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll start practicing. I think the first major step is convincing my brain that my left leg isn't just going to crumple (I theoretically know it won't but my brain doesn't agree... damn brain). I can do decent turns with my right leg, and have no problem skating on the right leg only for short periods.

My working theory is that my body doesn't trust my left side at all, I'm very dominantly right handed and I know this transfers to most other activities (except weirdly playing guitar ). I defiantly need to build up my confidence. I'll keep updating my progress.
A good place to start would be working on your one foot balance off skate. First standing then try doing one foot squats.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #302
Kittywolf13
Skating Newb

ok so i am a total newb! i started with inlines and hated them, and then put on some quads last Wednesday for the first time in a million years. (or however long it was that i had those white and pink barbie quads. :P) i was never a good skater, but it was hard to have motivation by yourself and im sure once i outgrew the skates i just moved onto something else.

fast forward to my husband and i discussing the need to have a joint hobby, and he mentioned he used to roller hockey. so we went to sports authority and bought ourselves some blades. we tried them for a week, hubby took to them like hed been skating all along, i however was riddled with lack of comfort and strong foot/ankle cramps... so i gave up after a week. then a friend invited me to the rink and i tried on some quads and LOVED them. i was skating much longer and even doing some basic turns. (i have yet to learn to stop. lol) so now im searching for some quads...desperately because i want to go back to skating!!!
Kittywolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #303
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Kitty have you tried letting one foot drag behind you lightly to slow to a stop? (I'd say non dominant or whichever foot you are least good at balancing on) That's how I started. Working on a hockey stop next (I think that's what it's called.)
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #304
Bunny_Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddig View Post

This is the way I train to jump.
// Henning
I know I'm like two years late replying, but you may have just solved my jumping issue. Thanks!
Bunny_Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #305
Kittywolf13
Skating Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeoftheValley View Post
Kitty have you tried letting one foot drag behind you lightly to slow to a stop? (I'd say non dominant or whichever foot you are least good at balancing on) That's how I started. Working on a hockey stop next (I think that's what it's called.)
I have. But the rink isn't long enough for me to get enough speed to practice. Or well I don't have the skills/balance to pull off long strides without struggling to keep the pace up. I also think my old injured ankles don't bend well enough. It's hard to keep all four wheels on the floor when dragging and I don't want to wear out my wheels unevenly. I'm crazy but feel like a hockey stop looks easier BUT I haven't tried it because if I can't stop normally I don't need to kill myself attempting a hockey stop. Lol
Kittywolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #306
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I don't drag all four wheels either. Just the inside edge of my back foot. I drag lightly so it's only wearing out a little bit. After a while (a long one of this is the only move you're doing to wear out your wheels) you can rotate them to wear them evenly.
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #307
bilbot79

Went out for the first time today here in Dublin, Ireland.

Pleasantly surprised. I could pick up a bit of speed and turn and stop the snowplough kind of way. I tried for a T Stop but I just can't balance on one foot yet. Guess that's gonna take some muscle memory.

Was very cool though. Got some looks from people as its not the done thing here.

The weirdest thing is that dogs were freaking out, I don't think they understood what I was.
bilbot79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #308
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbot79 View Post
...dogs were freaking out, I don't think they understood what I was.
Dogs hate my skateboards (longboards actually) much more than my skates. I am always prepared for them to lunge to the end of their leash when passing anyone walking a dog. One out of a hundred act terrified of me, the rest seem to want a taste of my shinbone.
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:52 PM   #309
bilbot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Dogs hate my skateboards (longboards actually) much more than my skates. I am always prepared for them to lunge to the end of their leash when passing anyone walking a dog. One out of a hundred act terrified of me, the rest seem to want a taste of my shinbone.
I guess it's like a greyhound going after the fake rabbit
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #310
bilbot79

Cool

Bilbot from Ireland here.

Second weekend I skated, the cuts from my new seba high lights still hadn't fully healed from last weekend so I could only stay out an hour.

Slightly frustrated as I can't do a T Stop yet so I feel really restricted in where I can go. Actually I feel like there is loads I can't do and this is going to take time, however the frustration is more because I'm enjoying it and want to break free and skate well!

One plus is that I managed to coast on one foot fractionally longer than last weekend. If I can get that down I think things will start opening up.

The nights here will start getting brighter soon and I'll be able to skate on work nights, that should beef up the practice hours a bit and break in the boots.

After I get the t stop imma try to do that crossover thing with the feet when turning, that looks like fun.

Maybe I could even get to skate backwards before Summer's out
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #311
LambChopper

I've picked up quad skating again after 35 years. I originally learned to skate easily considering how clumsy I am. It's taking time to regain my limited skills, but I'll be there soon enough.

What I'm surprised by is how difficult I'm finding inlines to be! They feel so bulky and heavy and scary. I'm persevering very slowly and shakily. I find myself wanting to give up in frustration, but I know if I continue I'll learn.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #312
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
I've picked up quad skating again after 35 years. I originally learned to skate easily considering how clumsy I am. It's taking time to regain my limited skills, but I'll be there soon enough.

What I'm surprised by is how difficult I'm finding inlines to be! They feel so bulky and heavy and scary. I'm persevering very slowly and shakily. I find myself wanting to give up in frustration, but I know if I continue I'll learn.
If your skating outside, try starting on the smoothest surface you can find. I know slippery seems scary but it's the herky-jerky rough surface that have you adjusting all the time and feeling like your going to fall.
The rough surfaces you will get used to with time though, it's a matter of learnig how much push you need to keep a steady speed and roll over cracks and bumps sticks and little rocks. But learn on the smooth first for good balance and style.

I generally skate in the rink. I need two hours outside before I feel like my skates are really under me.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #313
LambChopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
If your skating outside, try starting on the smoothest surface you can find. I know slippery seems scary but it's the herky-jerky rough surface that have you adjusting all the time and feeling like your going to fall.
The rough surfaces you will get used to with time though, it's a matter of learnig how much push you need to keep a steady speed and roll over cracks and bumps sticks and little rocks. But learn on the smooth first for good balance and style.

I generally skate in the rink. I need two hours outside before I feel like my skates are really under me.
Thank you! I'm in my garage so it's very smooth. This braking business is frustrating. My wobbly non-braking ankle is shot after only a few minutes of practice. My neighborhood has some gentle hills though so if I'm ever to make it outside braking is a must. Either that or investing in a parachute.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #314
Little

Default Hi from London

Hi guys. I'm Little. I used to skate as a child, when I say skate... I mean roll along and smash into the nearest wall to stop. Pretty much the same with iceskating though to be honest, though I think I have better balance on the ice. Anyway. Outdoor skating. On tarmac type surfaces I'm good, though I still have problems stopping. Pavement, as long as it's pretty much flat, I'm ok. But on other surfaces, I find it so much hard work, and find I hardly roll. The wheels I'm using are 65mm 78A. Are these suitable for skating on the street with?
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:28 AM   #315
BigFoot

Mr. Little,

Yep, me too. I started as a kid, took a few breaks from skating in my teens and twenties, and then made it a regular thing. Smashing into walls? I was an expert. Not just walls, but fences, light poles, cars and shrubbery. And don’t forget smashing into the ground. Stopping this way has its downsides, but on the upside… it works. You stop almost immediately. My first choice was a chain-link fence or shrubbery because they had some “give.”

Search SLF for “How do you stop outdoors.” Good suggestions there. If you are better at ice skating, or maybe snow skiing, one method of stopping is similar to some extent. You turn against the direction of travel. Turning or slaloming back and forth really scrubs off your speed. The sharper the turn, the faster you stop. That’s why a hockey stop is so abrupt. You are leaning back and quickly turning your skate perpendicular to your line of travel. (Grind those wheels!) So my advice: learn to turn.

Your wheels are fine for outdoor skating. The 78a hardness is relatively soft and should absorb some road roughness. 78a are very grippy, so a hockey stop might be jerky at first. A taller wheel would even the surface more. Maybe put more weight on your heals to help even out the bumpy patches. Bumpy parts are no fun. They are always going to slow you down and make skating more difficult. Just get to the smooth stuff on the other side.

Speaking of smooth stuff, have you ever skated at Hyde Park or around Wembley Stadium? Excellent pavement there and sometimes other skaters as well. Might also try the weekly skate event around central London. The organizers know all the smooth or semi-smooth streets.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:30 AM   #316
Little

Hey Bigfoot. Love the name!! Thanks for the reply. It's Miss by the way lol. I did wonder about the size of my wheels. Wish I'd have come here before I bought them now lol. No I've not skated those places, actually, I've not skated many places. Downstairs from my flat and over the local park. Fell over in front of a 10 year old kid the other day. Oh the shame. Turning I actually have no problem with at all, if I'm going slow enough, that's how I'll stop. It's when I'm going at a good speed I'm like uh oh....smash!. I've tried the whole dragging the stopper thing but I'm going so quick that my leg just wobbles and again... smack...
I shall look at the thread you suggested. I've been watching youtube videos too. I feel like if I try a plough stop it'll be my face that gets ploughed..into the pavement. . Lol thanks again mate
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #317
Little

One thing I've noticed with myself, don't know if it's a learning thing but if I go out on my skates for say 4 days in a row, I get in a total flow, no wobbles, balance along on one keg etc then I miss a day like I did yesterday and today now I had the wobbles again for a good 45 mins. I'm hoping this will stop eventually. But loving skating, been at it for about 6 weeks now. Whole nother level of freedom.
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:27 AM   #318
TiloRGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
One thing I've noticed with myself, don't know if it's a learning thing but if I go out on my skates for say 4 days in a row, I get in a total flow, no wobbles, balance along on one keg etc then I miss a day like I did yesterday and today now I had the wobbles again for a good 45 mins. I'm hoping this will stop eventually. But loving skating, been at it for about 6 weeks now. Whole nother level of freedom.
Hi Little, maybe a warm up could help, start slow and easy until you reach your stride. Hope it helps you!
TiloRGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #319
TiloRGB

Smile

Hello everyone!! My name is Tilo and I'm from Mexico City. My first skating experience was at the age of 3, nice white quads boots, spend most of the time on the floor than rolling but hey! when you are a child having fun, pain doesn't matters, we were made of ruber and magic. I have a roller hockey skates and love ice skating too.

I'm not an expert skater, maybe just good enough to avoid crash on people or the trees. Thank you for reading!
TiloRGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #320
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiloRGB View Post
Hi Little, maybe a warm up could help, start slow and easy until you reach your stride. Hope it helps you!
I didn't think of that lol Thanks

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨