S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM   #1
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default Ideas for off season training

Aside from doing the big three, squats, Romanian dead lifts and cleans.

I'm thinking vertical jumps for explosive power.

Lots of Buso ball and balance board for the stabilizers.

Lunges, lunges, lunges and more lunges, this way, that way and every way.

Wall squats, just for the burn.

I came up with this idea. It may work the muscles (the Erector Spinae, Quadratus Lumborum deep and Gluteus Medius) in the lower back that get fatigued when skating in the speed skaters tuck. I plan on suspending a set weight a couple inches below tuck level. I will then get under and support the weight just below the shoulders. I plan on taking it slow and see what comes of it.

I was also planning on hiring a cat. 4 or up cyclist to do high speed drafting and sprints. Would be nice twice a month, really fry the legs out. Since they work for you it's a controled workout.

Hills, lots and lots of hills. Steep hills, long hills, monster hills. Again and again.

Eat clean and stretch and lots of rest.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM   #2
The Major

Streamline,

You should check out one of your local CrossFit affiliates in Victoria. Not sure if any are close to you. This will get you ready. Sounds like you're into this kind of stuff.

http://dplcrossfit.com/
http://www.crossfitvic.com/CrossFit_Taranis/Home.html
http://www.crossfitzone.ca/

I recommend this to anyone who seriously wants to be better prepared for next season. In the U.S. check out www.crossfit.com For affiliates throughout the U.S and Canada check out the affiliates page.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:12 AM   #3
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Streamline,

You should check out one of your local CrossFit affiliates in Victoria. Not sure if any are close to you. This will get you ready. Sounds like you're into this kind of stuff.

http://dplcrossfit.com/
http://www.crossfitvic.com/CrossFit_Taranis/Home.html
http://www.crossfitzone.ca/

I recommend this to anyone who seriously wants to be better prepared for next season. In the U.S. check out www.crossfit.com For affiliates throughout the U.S and Canada check out the affiliates page.

Crossfit is a great idea. A excellent way to get in shape.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM   #4
online inline

i organize my training strategy on the strategy put forth in Barry Publow's "Speed on Skates", with a lot of the actual training sessions borrowed from Beggsports training videos and the Bont plyometric and abs workouts on their site. Also, an inline coach has generously offered his advice. BUt all of these things are essentially laid out in Publow's book, with a few variations.
For crosstraining i personally like running and spinning as well.
I still skate as much as i weather allows over the winter months, which luckily is a couple of times a week at least.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Diane Holum's book has like a trillion things to do off-skate. Get it from your public library...

For your back muscles, OI has previously suggested "good mornings".
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM   #6
online inline

Hey Bill, good mornings are okay, but the real thing is 'Abs like Juan' on the bont website. It amounts to 500 crunches and leg lifts in a single workout. then i do the good morning lifts and the back extensions. This should be done several times a week.

P.s.- i like when you and i post right after eachother bill, because scrolling down the page, it looks like a red skater carving down the trail. LOL.
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Tigger

Online Inline, thanks for the reminder to take workouts from the Publow book! I bought it late last season but haven't used it much yet. This is a great time to review it and see how much I can integrate into my plans.

I will do some skating outdoors as weather permits, and then at the Minneapolis roller-dome occasionally. I think that when I do skate, I'll place a heavy emphasis on technique, with a minor in speed/agility.

I'll also be cycling, rollerskiing, and then cross-country skiing as I help coach the local high-school team (love those kids -- they are so enthusiastic and dedicated, it keeps me going right through the dark, cold winter!). I will also do tai chi, and various core strength exercises and exercises, including skate-specific pliometrics. Maybe some swimming... and some intensive Physical Therapy for my back (old injury that supposedly requires surgery, but I'm not yet convinced).

I like variety for its own sake, but also feel I can get something useful out of each sport as long as I approach it right.

(O/I and Bill, sorry to mess up your skate tempo -- left, right, left, watch out for that rock! )
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
P.s.- i like when you and i post right after eachother bill, because scrolling down the page, it looks like a red skater carving down the trail. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
(O/I and Bill, sorry to mess up your skate tempo -- left, right, left, watch out for that rock! )
Splat! Ha, ha, that is toooo funny.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #9
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Splat! Ha, ha, that is toooo funny.
'We get knocked down, but we get up again', right Bill?

BE CAREFUL, I THINK I SEE ANOTHER ROCK COMING UP...!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM   #10
sk8scott

Quote:
I'll also be cycling, rollerskiing, and then cross-country skiing as I help coach the local high-school team (love those kids -- they are so enthusiastic and dedicated, it keeps me going right through the dark, cold winter!).
Working with those kids must be a great incentive for staying active. As another northerner, it's that "in-between" season that always does me in - those cold, dark, and damp months before it really starts snowing.

How similar do you find skate-skiing (and rollerskiing) to inline skating? I've been trying to learn the former, with a background in the latter, with little success. Whenever I try to use familiar inline technique, I lose my balance within a few strides. Granted, the boot that is on its way back to Salomon (crooked bar under the right toe) might have something to do with my struggles.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM   #11
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

LOL, it does! I had to go back up and scroll back down a couple of times. Too cool Bill and OI (watch out for that rock....epic.)

Damn we're geeks.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM   #12
Tigger

AAAAAH, there it is again!!!

Quote:
'We get knocked down, but we get up again'
There are times when I'm sure that is my theme song... (gonna work on that for next season )

Quote:
How similar do you find skate-skiing (and rollerskiing) to inline skating? I've been trying to learn the former, with a background in the latter, with little success. Whenever I try to use familiar inline technique, I lose my balance within a few strides.
Pretty similar, I think, except that skis are a lot longer... and less forgiving. On the plus side, snow is way more forgiving than asphalt!

Balance, weight transfer, and timing are all key, as they are in skating. Ski poles change things, of course, but I think the key there is to use the poles for additional power, not for balance. I find that these drills help:
  • "daisies" -- make a daisy pattern by stepping a circle with the ski tips in, and then reverse and make the same pattern with the tips in. No poles.
  • skiing down a gradual hill on one ski for as long as possible, then hopping to the other and skiing on it for as long as possible. No poles.
  • double-pole on one ski, graduating to double-poling twice on one ski before switching to the other
  • V1, V2, V2 Alternate -- practice each ski stride with your poles behind your back (parallel to the ground), arms holding the poles in place

As with skating, a lower center of gravity helps you keep your balance. Make sure to get your hips far enough out over each ski. "Nose-knee-toes" -- all 3 should be aligned for proper balance.

If you have further questions about the drills, let me know. You can mimic these on rollerskis as well, though the daisy drill ends up being a tight circle with quick step-turns.

Technique work pays dividends... good luck!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #13
sk8scott

Quote:
If you have further questions about the drills, let me know. You can mimic these on rollerskis as well, though the daisy drill ends up being a tight circle with quick step-turns.

Technique work pays dividends... good luck!
Thanks for all the tips! I think those drills will make a huge difference, and I plan to take a lesson or two this winter. Having properly aligned boots will probably help with my balance, as well.

----Scott
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #14
BleeckerSt_Girl

I go snowshoeing.....
snowshoeing
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #15
Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
Thanks for all the tips! I think those drills will make a huge difference, and I plan to take a lesson or two this winter. Having properly aligned boots will probably help with my balance, as well.
----Scott
The drills are all ones I've learned from my husband. He's the real skier... but I've learned a lot following him around.

And regarding your boots, yes, it sounds like that will make a huge difference! I'm excited for you to see how much better you can do when both feet are pointing forward along the line of the ski!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM   #16
Mastro

ideas for off season :

flow & flexibility -- The Art of Budokon

Cameron Shayne Rocks !!!
http://budokon.com/

go hiking !

swimming

or just plain take a break from performance
ask yourself : what do i want to do and why ?

have a good day
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM   #17
sk8scott

Quote:
The drills are all ones I've learned from my husband. He's the real skier... but I've learned a lot following him around.

And regarding your boots, yes, it sounds like that will make a huge difference! I'm excited for you to see how much better you can do when both feet are pointing forward along the line of the ski!
I'm excited, too! Also, getting a little bit antsy for the yea or nay from Salomon re: free replacement boots.

----Scott
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
'We get knocked down, but we get up again', right Bill?
Yessir!