S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 25th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1
MachV

Default Why Do Athletes Retire from Skating?

Does anyone know why an athlete retires from a sport?

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #2
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
No idea.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #3
MachV

A lot of the time they don't want to train anymore. The tedious, boring, repititon of fundamentals. Working hard on your weaknesses that so that it all looks easy.
"I don't have to think about." only comes after your done not when your still in the process

It's not how many miles you skate. It's how you skate for many miles.
It's not how fast you skate. It's how you skate fast.
It's not racing to train, but training to race.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
rwsz

Quote:

i think it is different for every athlete, i know my son retired because of injurys he would get the last few years and the beating his body took. i guess it was discouragement. for others its they lost the fire, i stopped because of age and a tore achilles tendon and the doctor talked about all the sports injurys i had over the year that showed on xrays. i still work out but thats it. others dont want to train so hard anymore and others want to get on with their life in other ways.
Old December 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
A lot of the time they don't want to train anymore. The tedious, boring, repititon of fundamentals. Working hard on your weaknesses that so that it all looks easy.

It's not how many miles you skate. It's how you skate for many miles.
It's not how fast you skate. It's how you skate fast.
It's not racing to train, but training to race.
I think I agree. Sometimes people quit because they feel that they have reached the peak of their abilities, and still are not at a level they consider enjoyable or acceptable. They don't feel like digging deeper into technique, or they are just bored of technique work.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Default Best Reason to Retire from Skating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
On the other subject, the acknowledgment that you can not compete at the same level you use to be at (due to age or injury) is probably the best "reason" for retirement. The mind may be willing but the body might not.
To me, IMO, this is the WORST reason to quit, err, retire. I can't quit doing something just because I'm not as good as I once was due to my age. Injuries are different, I reckon. But anyway, as we get older our bodies will be less cooperative, but we still need to do something to blow out the cobwebs. "Do not go gentle into that good night ... Rage, rage against the dying of the light" and all...
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #7
online inline

they have age divisions that keep older skaters in the mix. Indoor and outdoor alike, major races all seperate racers by age divisions to some extent.

Also, skating is unique in that age plays less of a factor than it does in many other sports. In many national scale marathons, skaters will finish alongside and within seconds of skaters half their age. And this is in the lead pack. Happens all the time.

Skating is also unique becuase it doesn 't take the phyusical toll on you as does other sports like skiing or running. Skaters retiring due to injury- yes it happens, but not that common.

Skating has it's share of attrition, that's for sure. But i don't think it's usually becuase of age or injury.

So what is the 'best reason to retire" as you say (your words, not mine). That's kind of up to the individual, isn't it? We each head down the road of our choosing, and I wouldn't be presumptious enough to wager when the time is right for anyone else, and i wouldn't expect that anyone else could validate my decision one way or another. I;m sure most people that do have their reasons. Life's short, make the most of it.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #8
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I can't quit doing something just because I'm not as good as I once was due to my age.
speedy's corollary to the famous Greg Lemond maxim:
It never gets any easier, you just go slower.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #9
streetsk8r

Actually that is the reason that I retired from that sport. Sprinting is a young man's sport and I "retired" from sprinting and tooking what I considering "jogging". So I ran 5K, 10Ks until my kneecaps just wouldn't stay in place. I was lucky that I found skating and now have an outlet for me need for speed and it doesn't bother my knees.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #10
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Why Do Athletes Retire from Skating?
Quote from either speedy or Pepper.

“Smite the blasphemer”
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #11
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I retired from running since my body couldnt keep up with the training I needed to do to be competitive. The competition and pressure made it not so fun for me also.

Thats OK, now I found something better!!
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I retired from running since my body couldnt keep up with the training I needed to do to be competitive. The competition and pressure made it not so fun for me also.

Thats OK, now I found something better!!

i think a general answer is that its a different reason for most people.
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I wont retire from skating til my body requires me to do so lol. Hopefully that will be the day I die.
Old December 28th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #14
Jennie
Don't H8, sk8

I retired my big dog (yea, I know) from heavy duty competitions because he's past his peak for the heavy duty stuff. He's already accomplished all that he can in those sports. Now he's just doing "brain" work.

Jennie
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #15
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
I retired my big dog (yea, I know) from heavy duty competitions because he's past his peak for the heavy duty stuff. He's already accomplished all that he can in those sports. Now he's just doing "brain" work.
"brain work." Sounds interesting. Do you have to be able to spell for that?
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
Actually that is the reason that I retired from that sport. Sprinting is a young man's sport and I "retired" from sprinting and tooking what I considering "jogging". So I ran 5K, 10Ks until my kneecaps just wouldn't stay in place. I was lucky that I found skating and now have an outlet for me need for speed and it doesn't bother my knees.
Same reason I quit running. The injuries and pain made it not worth it.
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #17
streetsk8r

As we go through life, we go through different stages and have to adapt to what maturity levels both our minds and bodies are at. Young minds and bodies can successfully do many stupid and difficult things, from my own personal experiences :-)

Looking back with my perfect 20-20 hindsight, the progression from sprinting to jogging to skating makes sense with my body's ability to handle it. Maybe I just should have switched from jogging to skating earlier.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:04 AM   #18
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Same reason I quit running. The injuries and pain made it not worth it.
That's a common one for those of us in rec/fitness sports - the "pain/gain" ratio begins to be consistently skewed toward the "pain" side.

Sometimes it might be geography, e.g. quit surfing after moving inland or quit skiing after moving to the flatlands. Similarly, some people don't so much "retire" as lose interest. In other words, they drift away from one sport and get into another one instead.

A lot of pros drop out when they're no longer able to be competitive, be it due to age/injuries or maxing-out one's potential at a point that isn't quite good enough to run with the big dogs. In fitness sports, a good number of these folks continue to be active in their chosen sport, but they retire from competition.

There are so many other reasons, of course, as such decisions are a highly individual thing. It's worth remembering that whenever we question another's decision to "retire", we're almost always dead wrong!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #19
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

In my book one retires from work and quits skating. My advanced age allows me to retire from work in order to skate more. Another small point, skating good, work bad. If skating turns into work that would rock my world. I guess that is why I do not want to turn it into competition (well sort of) since it would lead to burnout. Many of us older skaters quit skating at some point and returned years later rediscovering how cool it is. There is an essence in skating unlike most sports that draws you to it and captivates you. My most profound advice is to quit smoking/drinking/working/sex, (Well Not Completely) but never quit skating!
May the wind be at your back...Phil