S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
3degree

Default Inline Skate Computer

Has anybody ever used the Sigma BC-800 Inline Skate Computer (~to a cyclometer) or something like it???

Does it calculate "accurate" distance off of a monitor only on one skate.....?
3degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #2
3degree

Here's a pic I found that shows it attached.....
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Lots of skaters on this board use a garmin gps for the same puposes.

Search "garmin" and you'll get lots of hits.

The one you talk about I have no info on, but Garmin works for distances, speed etc.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Hmm, as much as I would like for it to work, since it looks like you could get it for maybe 15 bucks, I am doubtful, because when you skate, you pick your feet up... Does the mfg have a website? Does it explain how it works?
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I skated for several years with a speedometer mounted on the top of one skate. It was actually fairly accurate if it was calibrated correctly. Here are a few. Some are watch style and some (like the one I had) mount on your skate boot.

- Inline Skate Speedometer Watch
- Silva B1 Blade Inline Skate Speedometer
- Tech 4 O B1 Inline Skate Speedometer
- MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Basic
- MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Plus
- MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Cardio
- Geschwindigkeitsmesser für Inline-Skates
- PanuWorld InMile 07

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #6
MachV

As the wheels wear down, the speedometer needs to be recalibrated.

A bike wheel never wears down.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
3degree

SigmaSport only has the information on the BC-800 itself and their instruction booklet is for a bike..... Nothing that I saw on their site for the inline skate sensors.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #8
3degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Here are a few. Some are watch style and some (like the one I had) mount on your skate boot.

- Inline Skate Speedometer Watch This is the Silva and requires use of their 76-80mm sensor wheel. $$
- Silva B1 Blade Inline Skate Speedometer requires use of their 76-80mm sensor wheel $$
- Tech 4 O B1 Inline Skate SpeedometerSame item again--This is the Silva and requires use of their 76-80mm sensor wheel. $$
- MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Basicrequires use of their 76-80mm sensor wheel. $$
- ""MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Plus " "
- MicroSport Inline Skate Speedometer - Cardio""
- Geschwindigkeitsmesser für Inline-Skates Looks interesting--if only I could translate the German=> English and figure out how to get the price on it..... as it doesn't look like there is an order form or a list of distributors......
- PanuWorld InMile 07Looks interesting ...except for their extra black box with the computational hardware....and the big kicker-- "PanuWorld InMile 07 is not in production" "those hand-made prototypes are not for sale"...

- Kathie

Thanks for the information, Kathy. These seem to require the use of a (now smaller) proprietary sensor wheel, and are not as inexpensive as the Sigma Sport I was looking at..... Or they don't appear to be purchase-able.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Really, who would want to be forced to use their special wheel? That feature seems like it would doom those devices right out of the gate since you could never rotate that wheel and it would probably not be the correct size for most people anyway.

There use to be quite a few mount-on-skate type speedometers available but the Web sites have disappeared for most of those devices. And even those had some special mounting system for the magnetic sensor that made rotating wheels a pain in the neck. That's why I finally abandoned mine.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #10
rhybeka

Default Seeing about reviving this thread?

I was hoping that if I posted tho this thread, it might get revived a little. I'm looking for something similar for my skating season this year. I'd love to be able to track my cardio and how many miles I am truly logging on my skates. I checked out a few of the above links that Kathie posted, one of which I'd love but it's not in English and I'm not quite sure how to order. The above posts also mention using garmin - I realize they are GPS, but assuming they don't do heart rate? I haven't done any research in that direction yet, but I thought I'd ask for a push in the right direction. What kind of solutions do you guys use? Thanks for the help!

- Becky
rhybeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

The newer Garmin Forerunners (305, 405) do heartrate.

While I've been broken, I've been using the HRM features on my Forerunner..the GPS can be turned off..

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #12
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I use a Garmin 305 and I really like it. I use it for running, skating, and biking. I have the Heart Rate monitor strap. It's pretty reliable, although every now and then you get weird results. You have to wet the ends of the HR strap before putting it on for best results.

The best thing with having an HR monitor is that you don't fool yourself. There are times I think I'm flying, then I look down and see my HR is only 140, and I know I'm just tooling along and push it a little harder.

The other great thing with a GPS is that you can just get out and GO. No worries about driving the car to check what hte mileage would be, no worries if you decide to go a different way you won't know how far you went. From that standpoint, it's very liberating. You can "Just do it".

The iPhone has some GPS apps out, although no HR monitor; I think Nike is working on that as there is a Nike HR monitor for an iPod if I remember right.
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #13
rhybeka

Thanks guys! I'll have to look at the 305 & 405... so far I cringe at the price, but it looks like it'll last a while, and just have to make it an investment in my well being o O(or at least that's my justification). I have a birthday coming around the corner so maybe I'll just ask for giftcards
rhybeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Well, an update - there is now this great GPS app for the iPhone called Motion-X. Although you don't get HR, everything else is pretty good for tracking your trip.

It seems fairly accurate too. It was $2.99 ... price well spent in my opinion.

The only bad thing is if a call comes in, the GPS app gets shut down, apparently an Apple mandate, but I can handle that.

I use both now, just in case one fails on me.
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #15
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Well, I was doing a patent search and stumbled on this thread again

I an considering building a 'skate computer' that (for speed skates or skates with a frame) show / calculate how hard you're pushing. Sort of like a watt meter for bicycles, except for skates.

I'm thinking it could also show things like length / speed of stroke, and possibly warn of pronation / ankle angle (this is tougher as the same angle may be pronation or supination depending on the location of the knee, and my goal wouldn't be to force skaters to look like the Borg.

My goal isn't to build a skate specific Garmin - it's to measure things a Garmin (or something like a Garmin) can't.

The main drawback is that the cost 'per foot' is probably in the $150-200 range, which probably means only skate clubs would get one, BUT those watt meters for cycles aren't cheap either.

I'm considering using bluetooth technology so that a coach could evaluate (real time) a skater indoors.

Bluetooth technology would also mean that you could use an Android cell phone to collect and display the data. iPhone's are apparently limited in using bluetooth sensors or I'd support that also.

Thoughts? What would you like to see?
== John ==
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #16
topcarbon

garmin ftw
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #17
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Garmin shows how hard you push with your feet?
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #18
topcarbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Garmin shows how hard you push with your feet?
your market is too small unfortunately.

hey bring it to market and lets see.

personally, how hard I push is not a big concern.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #19
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcarbon View Post
your market is too small unfortunately.
I hear you. That's the big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcarbon View Post
hey bring it to market and lets see.

personally, how hard I push is not a big concern.

It would also figure out if the stroke was correct / efficient, that kind of a thing.

But you're right, for most people, a Garmin is fine and probably cheaper.
== John ==
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #20
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

I used a Garmin 201 for well over 5 years and the newer models seem to be much better from all I've heard. Great tool for serious training.

I've gone to a stop watch/heart rate combo this year. Interesting info and can be used with all activities (or even total inactivity! ). I use a 2nd stop watch for running time or lap times. I know most of my skate distances from my years with the Garmin 201.

It's all good, so ...

LezSk8!