S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #161
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin70 View Post
If Peter from Portsmouth reads this, Did you manage the double at Goodwood ?
Alas no, even though I tried twice. I did 19 laps the first time and only 18 laps in 2010. I blew up both physically and mentally on both occasions. But I am pleased to say that my son Tom did complete the 22 laps in 2010, the first and only quaddie to do so to date.

I am still considering having another go in 2011, but thave decided to go for bigger wheels.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #162
Colin70

Hi Peter,
Great effort, & Congrats to your son, I can`t even imagine the effort required to do 22 at Goodwood ON QUADS !
I assume you use inlines as you mentioned larger wheels, I switched from 76mm at the 2009 event upped to 90mm for 2010, made a big difference in speed and effort.
Perhaps see you both 2011 event.
Colin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #163
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
The question re my post is I struggle with forward/backward/forward transitions. Am I just to old ?
Too old? Only if your age prevents you from physically making the transitions.
Here is a video that I posted on YouTube that may be helpful to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDnnqO2E1s
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #164
Colin70

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
Too old? Only if your age prevents you from physically making the transitions.
Here is a video that I posted on YouTube that may be helpful to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDnnqO2E1s
Hi, Great video, very clear, nice and slow.
Been practicing backward to forward mohawk, almost got it a bit clumsy but it will come. Still struggling fwd-back but your vid will help. Thanks from an OAP Limey.
Colin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:44 AM   #165
peter

Quote:
Been practicing backward to forward mohawk, almost got it a bit clumsy but it will come. Still struggling fwd-back but your vid will help. .
The difficult bit I find is a slight loss of balance as I come out of the turn. Hence it isn't somethimng I care to attempt at great speed. And I can't side-surf/spread-eagle very well
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #166
kloveday
Boogie Shoes

Default Its all in the knees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
The difficult bit I find is a slight loss of balance as I come out of the turn. Hence it isn't somethimng I care to attempt at great speed. And I can't side-surf/spread-eagle very well
Ok if you put a little more bend your knees when doing the back to forward mohawk it will give you just a bit more room to rotate your hips, increasing your balance during the turn.

Hope this helps
Kimberly
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #167
Oldskater4

Smile Oldskater4

Had I known of this forum I would not have started my own... Oldest/youngest (quad) skater.
Check it out up near the top of the list.
I'm 60, have skated on and off since 1968. I've done ice, quad and inline, flat track, banked track any anywhere smooth enough. I have also skated in the USA in the mid 70s.
Us baby boomers are just that...babies compared to some of the more elderly among us, but it's good to see that there are plenty out there.
One of my skating buddies is 86, but I have skated with some of the old Roller Game players from the 60s who are now in their late 50s through to early 70s (Australians who played here and overseas) and some of today's Derby Girls here in Sydney Australia.
The 86 year old has been skating for over 70 years and held a speed record here at 14. he skated from Sydney to our national Capital Canberra at 83!
We went in speed skating on a rink with the derby girls when he was going on 84...I could keep up with him but I couldn't catch him and spun out trying. He walks with a walking stick!
Its only an opinion, but today's game isn't a patch on the old banked track game... but that's another forum.

Last edited by Oldskater4; February 5th, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: further info
Oldskater4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #168
Johowo

Default 60+

I'm just sweet 58 , will be 59 this year . Doe's this count ? Back after around 10 or so years . I'm skating pretty much on a regular basis now and not falling too much . Hope to be back at the top of my game in about two or three months . I love every minute of it and my skills are improving every time I go . I'm staying on the inside for the time being but seriously thinking about getting some inlines for the park . Definately gotta get a helmet .
Johowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #169
Armadillo

Hi All,

At age 62, I will be skating on QUADS in my second Chicago Inline Half-Marathon next month.
Last year I was the first Quadie to finish, but there was not much competition in that category. With the strong wind, my time was poor at 1hr 12min.
I have taken quad speed classes 6-7 times a month for the last 8 months, so my skating form has improved considerably. I currently train at the Chicago lakefront on Northerly Island, where the secluded 1.3 mile closed loop is a great place to skate full speed with little interference.
Despite the horrible Chicago spring weather and very few outdoor training miles accumulated, I have still managed to make a new record for 10 laps (13 miles) of 56min 40 seconds. This pace would give me a 1/2 marathon time of ~58 min. My goals for the year are a flat 5 minutes for one loop of the Island, and 55 minutes for 10 loops.
So far I have only made 5min and 10 sec. for the one loop, but this is encouraging. I try to roll at least 2 13-mile time trials per week all summer.

-Armadillo
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #170
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Hi All,

... I have still managed to make a new record for 10 laps (13 miles) of 56min 40 seconds.

My goals for the year are a flat 5 minutes for one loop of the Island, and 55 minutes for 10 loops.
So far I have only made 5min and 10 sec. for the one loop, but this is encouraging.

-Armadillo
Congratulation, good time already, and when you achieve your goal even better

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #171
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedaki_de View Post
Congratulation, good time already, and when you achieve your goal even better

Johannes
Thanks Johannes.

An update - I already broke 5 min for one lap (1.3 miles) now, and this past Friday I did 10 laps (13 miles) in 55 min.
Did the 1ST lap in 5M:10S and kept going to make 27 min for the 1st 5 laps (6.5 miles). Then I hung on for a 28Min time for the 2nd five laps.
No breaks here, just non stop skating and continuous strokes, with double push except on the short steep hill.

Now I have to make new goals for 2011.

Can't wait to race on my new 950 grams soccer shoe build that will be finished the end of this week. Still have to machine the custom aluminum kingpins with 3/4" integral Hex in the middle and threads only at both ends -- NO THREADS NEAR CENTER WHERE MAX STRESS develops.

-Armadillo
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #172
rinkraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeflying View Post
I suppose it makes sense because I am totally unrelaxed and worried about falling. Hello to you all!!!!
You sk8 on quads outdoors ? Your worries of falling, then, are well founded - you most certainly will bite the pavement when your wide quad skate wheels chock up on a pebble or a stick and trip you ! Use only inlines outdoors, and keep the quads in the rink....
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote