S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default muscle injury, scar tissue?

Its weird, the muscle isnt hurting too bad now but when I walk up the stairs, feeling like a rubber band in my leg. There is tugging and no sensation really. I guess I have scar tissue. I was told to heat, then massage, then ice it, or is this reverse? I do mild stretching and mild exercise (nothing to talk about) but then it swells. Any hints? Dont say the doctor word, no money for one. And its still a firm lump.

*This injury is from plastic digging and ripping my muscle.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2
BleeckerSt_Girl

I would make sure you are massaging the area very well twice a day- maybe after a hot shower or after a heat pack? Massaging might help keep the tissues from setting up in a certain way and scarring in one position I would think. I'm no expert but I'm sure massage would be good.
I swiped the electric heat pad from our kitties and am sleeping with that under my hip joint. It's very low warmth but feels so comforting there.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3
sk8rmom

It's heat first, then ice. The heat is for the circulation, but that usually leads to swelling so that's why you put the ice on it after.

Personally, I never used heat. I only used ice on my hip and elevated it while icing it. I didn't do any massaging either. I read somewhere that it might help or it might hurt so I just didn't do it. Besides, it hurt just to touch it and I'm a baby.

Maybe you are still doing more than it can handle? Mine swelled after I used it though even just walking around so it might swell regardless.

Without going to the doctor, probably all you can do is elevating it when you can and keeping up what you are doing. It's just going to take time. I know it's painful to hear that, but sounds like you really injured it and somethings just take longer to heal.

The more you can rest it, the faster it will heal though.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I have been doing it heat (epson salt bath or heating pad) then massage. Just pressure in circular or long motions. I'm praying this will break it up. But I read that its ice, massage, then heat to flush out the toxins? Donno. Not sure really if its scar tissue or a blood clot. Either way my body needs to break it down and reabsorb it. Least I can bend down on my knees slowly and sit on my heels. I'm being very careful!

I was doing heat and then it would sting but its mostly stopped that. I am trying not to put ice on it during the day unless its after heat or movement since I think I want blood to flow through it, not restrict it. This injury sucks beans!!
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #5
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

I know you don't take anti inflamatories. How about hollistic stuff? Is this the injury to your knee that occured a while back?
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
How are you iceing it?
I pulled a hamstring about a week and a half ago. It's killed me, but I have done everything I can not to work that muscle. No weights, no sprints. I do everything at about 40%. It's feeling better, but I don't feel like I'm working hard enough to make gains.
I also see a guy that does the ART on my injuries. It's not what I would call a massage. He digs in to my muscles so hard that I come off the table some times. I wouldn't be able to do this to myself. He charges $32 per visit, and I go once a week.
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
roller_dudette
skate addict!

My knee is perfectly fine! This is an injury from landing on a sharp edge from 6 feet. It cut into my muscle and ripped it.

I even tried the OTC crap for 3 days since I was told a hematoma is an exception, no benefits AT ALL, just got a really bad headache from them so those are out now no matter what. I take bromelain, eat plenty of raw ginger, pineapple etc. But I'm asking on scar tissue or a blood clot. Its a hard round knot now. I assume massage is the only answer. But do I put heat on it first? Should I keep heat on it during the day? I only try to ice it now after I do stuff or put heat on it or massage it. It needs blood flow I think to heal now and its not really painful now, just stings sometimes.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I would heat it, massage it, wait a few minutes, and then ice it. Heat to increase circulation and flexibility, massage to break up the lump, wait to allow a little more circulation, and ice to try to get the swelling down and remove some of the fluid that has built up.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #8
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I'm not a doctor or anything, but I would heat it, massage it, wait a few minutes, and then ice it. Heat to increase circulation and flexibility, massage to break up the lump, wait to allow a little more circulation, and ice to try to get the swelling down and remove some of the fluid that has built up.
I think that's a good plan.
I personally would suspect that your hard round lump is a clot, or just some inflammed tissue filled with fluid/blood. Doesn't hard scar tissue take longer to form than 3 weeks?
Ingest more protein as well might help.
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #9
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I think the heat then massage, wait, then ice sounds like THE plan!!

Yeah, added protein shakes. I must be the only human being on earth that seems to have issues with protein because it wasnt healing much until I did. Now its doing much better! I'm even getting some flexibility back. It only hurts if I twist so I will roll easy on my skateboard only (thats backwards motion) first time this weekend in a MONTH. Its just below my hip so not sure if skating which uses sideways motion is a good idea. So I think I'm breaking the no movement phase finally which makes me EXTREMELY happy!

It could still be blood, but I DID break muscle fibers and scar tissue is quick recovery. I dont know for sure. But the place I hit is harder, its like a compact orange now and feels like I'm sitting on half a tennis ball. The other part is more soft so I think thats more like blood. Either way it needs increased circulation to absorb it. I had the heating pad only on and off it today. I guess in time it will heal.....
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM   #10
BleeckerSt_Girl

Hey Dudette, how is your injury doing?
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM   #11
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

I would consider a compression treatment (i.e. wearing compression pants over the affected area) and massaging in rosehip oil. BUT you really need expert advice before doing so.....soliciting medical advice on a skating forum is like soliciting legal advice at the railway station - unlikely to net you the correct answer!!!
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
Hey Dudette, how is your injury doing?

Thanks for asking! Its working. I actually was able to go to the skatepark yesterday. I just rode the flat ramps in a street section. I have full movement now. It wasnt scar tissue, its blood. There is no more ripping/tearing feeling anymore. The tightness was since the muscle hadn't healed. I think what I needed was the protein. It seemed to speed up after I've been drinking the protein shakes. Everything I read says we eat too much protein, things for me dont heal til I add it. Guess I'll listen to my body.

I either put heat on it or if I have time I take an epson salt bath, then massage it, still gently since at spots its slightly tender but not bad at all. Its not swelling much more now after the heat so I've left the ice out and there is no stinging now either. It went from a grapefruit to a small part of a plum sticking out. So I just need to massage the blood out I guess. I think it will take time to fully go away. But I'm incorporating yoga stretches now. I seem to be losing flexibility. One thing, when I try to ride my longboard, my calves instantly start to get tired and hurt. So I can only skateboard about 10 mins now. They have gotten really weak. My low back hurts when I skate but I can go 45 mins still. So only doing skating 3 times a week now, for an hour. If you have any hints on stretches, I need to get my inner thighs, quads, hams, hips and knees. From getting older, injuries, I find I'm losing flexibility now. I used to be able to sit down on the floor when I sit on my knees, now I can only sit on my heels. I want to get my full flexibility back! I think my quads have gotten tight in the last year from skating and not stretching enough.

Weird thing, when I skate my hip doesnt hurt but sometimes my knee aches. Not pain, just achy, really strange. But I'm happy. Taking it easy! Doing everything I can for it. Read everything, nothing I have read that I can do more. Thanks again for asking!

Hows yours coming along? BTW, I ordered some really good street tires for my lightweight mountain bike. I hope to get them this week and start commuting to work. That will get my quads strong. I guess I need to do low back/calf exercises to get strong again. One month off killed my fitness.

Oh, just to let you know, took my new skates out I built and they are fantastic!!!!! Wow, that was hard to wait.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM   #13
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Thanks for asking! Its working. I actually was able to go to the skatepark yesterday. I just rode the flat ramps in a street section. I have full movement now. It wasnt scar tissue, its blood.
If it's just under the surface, I'd just poke it with a needle and let it drain out. Problem solved. But of course that's not always possible, or you're too squeemish to do it!!

...anyhow, the good news is that it will go away all but itself in time as the body breaks it down and re-absorbs it....
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM   #14
BleeckerSt_Girl

Maybe you could scramble it up with some eggs and shallots....

EEEEEEEWWWWWW JUST KIDDING!

Dudette- so GLAD to hear this is healing well now. I had a feeling it was not scar tissue- too fast to form scar tissue. You and I seem to be running on a parallel journey these days. I am getting the slight achy knee thing now too, but I think it's just because I have been inactive for a couple of weeks and now my knees are complaining about getting back to work.

Wow the protein powder is really making huge differences for me too! I'm a believer now. Will stick to my other new supplement regime as well. Whatever works, works, right?

I hope to go for my first bike ride today too since my own hip injury a few weeks ago. Yesterday I walked 3 miles and I feel just fine today.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Thats great to hear! Its still tender, but the fibers arent ripped anymore. That was the most painful thing ever, having this feeling of my skin literally ripping apart as I walked! Sometimes the swelling goes way down but then it goes back up so guess its still healing. I dont know what to do with the protein thing since everything says how bad it is for you and I dont care for protein foods much. Just know that I am getting huge benefits from it. Something that I cant deny!!

I had sprained my tendon on my knee back in Oct. That took many months to heal! I'm not sure if thats just lingering on. Doesnt bother me much just some stretches seem to aggravate it. I think my quads got tight and thats putting stress on my other muscles/ligaments. Then I skate just as hard as the 15 yr old guys lol. So I'm trying to be good about stretching now to get back full flexibility.

I'm going to skate the bowls this weekend and might be able to kayak for the first time ever this weekend with my boyfriend. That will lift my spirits! Me with my welt hanging out lol. I think I'm out of the red, just need to go back at it slowly. I'm sooo out of shape now though!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #16
BleeckerSt_Girl

You know protein is an essential nutrient that all of us need to be healthy. I think physically active people need more of it than sedentary people. You especially need protein to replenish/build your muscles (for one thing). Perhaps 'too much' protein is not good, but then who's to say how much is too much for a particular person? Surely you, being so very active, would need much more protein in your daily diet than an old woman in a rocking chair.

I did go for an easy-does-it bike ride today with my husband....11 miles in the country. No problems at all except I had to be careful swinging my leg up over my bike to get on and off it.
Enjoy your kayaking!!! I just lOVE kayaking but have only done it a few times.

"me with my welt hanging out"....? -yikes, what a mental image!
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #17
Yonah
This Train's Rollin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I'm incorporating yoga stretches now. I seem to be losing flexibility. . .If you have any hints on stretches, I need to get my inner thighs, quads, hams, hips and knees. From getting older, injuries, I find I'm losing flexibility now. I used to be able to sit down on the floor when I sit on my knees, now I can only sit on my heels. I want to get my full flexibility back! I think my quads have gotten tight in the last year from skating and not stretching enough.
Sounds like a good yoga routine/class is the way to go.

Good luck -- it's great to see how active you are with all that going on.
Yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #18
shaun07

Ive had some experience with muscle aches one time when we walk for almost the entire day because the main school building and our department is not on the same location. I got off took a warm bath afterwards and soaked in some epsom salts.