S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #81
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
It was near some lake.
I'm NOT laughing at you, but you gave me a good internal chuckle OI. Where I live, in the land of 10,000 lakes, a comment like that would be equivalent to "it was near some road". A normal training run in high school for us could go by any of 7 lakes. On a super hot day we'd run to the first lake, jump in and run to the next lake.

I have to keep reminding myself it is a big world out there and it is not all alike!
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #82
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
I'm NOT laughing at you, but you gave me a good internal chuckle OI. Where I live, in the land of 10,000 lakes, a comment like that would be equivalent to "it was near some road". A normal training run in high school for us could go by any of 7 lakes. On a super hot day we'd run to the first lake, jump in and run to the next lake.

I have to keep reminding myself it is a big world out there and it is not all alike!
yeah, and if that wasn't good enough, you guys have some good ice skating out there, i would expect. It's not fair. Events like St. Paul, duluth, and some happening urban centers like Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Not that i live in an area that is all that awful, mind you....

Make the best of what's around you, i guess, right?

Syracuse- it took me about two weeks of researching to find this place to skate, and it was worth it. A guy on RaceReports answered my request for info, and i eventually even bumped into him out there. Very cool.

When i was flying across the country last week, i caught myself looking out the window at all the land below and thinking '...looks dry there, i wish i could go skating there..."

Hey, any of those lakes in Minnesota (sp?) freeze up and are skatable? Now that would be cool!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #83
7Skaters

Default Hello Everyone!

I'm Mystique, 33, and I'm another "old new skater" in the USA...Ohio, to be somewhat exact.

The 10 biggest thrills of my life (no specific order, more like a time line):

1. I got my first pair of skates...almost as soon as I could walk. The cheesy, "strap 'em to your shoes" ones...and not even plastic, all metal, including the wheels! I loved to skate, but the noise was annoying.

2. Getting my first pair of "real" skates when I was 7.

3. When they paved the road in front of my house when I was 10. Our roads were laid out really....oddly. We had two "islands" (small triangular-shaped masses of grass, with curbs) - one in front of my house, the other a bit further down the street, and they paved around both...making a great big figure 8. My best friend and I grabbed our skates as soon as they took the barriers down (signaling it was dry) and skated until it was dark.

4 - 9 aren't skating related but still...

4. Getting married (1995).

5. Birth of our son (1996).

6. Birth of daughter #1 (1998).

7. Birth of daughter #2 (2001).

8. Birth of daughter #3 (2003).

9. Birth of daughter #4 (2004).

10. Being able to get all the kids skates for Christmas this year!! As well as a new pair for myself. Hubby's is coming, he's still deciding what kind he wants, though. I think skating is going to be our new weekly "family time" thing.

Thanks to buying our house "as is"...and it being empty for years before we bought it....we had a (note the sarcasm) "lovely" little rodent problem the first month we were here. They got into my skates and destroyed them. I had my skates since 5th grade...I never grew after that, at least...my feet didn't. Guess maybe it was just someone's way of telling me I needed a new pair?

I hadn't skated in ages, but with 3 of the kids in school this year (in 5th, 2nd and K), they're constantly bringing home free admission/free skate rental tickets from one of the local rinks for their school skating parties. My son went with his friends to the November party and wanted skates...the others wanted to go, but due to my husband's work schedule, we couldn't go. We'll have to wait for weekends, but they all wanted skates. The youngest 2 I just got the all plastic clamp-on-to-the-shoes type, to get them their "skate legs", the older 3 got real ones (quads, not inlines). I did get to take our son to one of the school parties when he was in kindergarten, and skated myself then, but before then, I hadn't been on skates in about 12 years...and I haven't been back to the rink since I took our son so many years ago.

Though thanks to hardwood floors (cheap ones) in the house, I have discovered skating is much like riding a bike....once you've done it, it's easy to get back into it.

Hope to get to know you all soon!

Myst
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #84
farmergurl
Flying

Quote:
Farmergurl, not sure if you're near Syracuse, but they have a real good stretch of trail to inline on if that is at all near you. It was near some lake, I can get the name if you want it. I skated it every day when i visited back east.

And welcome aboard David from NYC.
Yeah..well actually 1 hr. 45 mins...if you rush...We go there for some shopping usually...You used to live around Syracuse? Coolio...anyway...
Yeah ...I would like it if you gave me a name...ttyl!
~Shell
farmergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #85
online inline

i went to a college reunion about 50 miles from there, but let me check a map later and i;ll update it later.

It was nice, but it's not worth over an hour drive...
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #86
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
Hey, any of those lakes in Minnesota (sp?) freeze up and are skatable? Now that would be cool!
Yep, pretty much all of the lakes freeze up nicely (except rarely Lake Superior). Good skating varies by year -- these warm spells (rough ice) or too much snow (water gets pushed up onto the surface and the snow turns to slush) kills the skating on lakes sometimes.

When the lakes freeze over nicely without snow...wow that is fun! One Thanksgiving (yes, Thanksgiving) I remember skating all over a 3/4 mile long lake on 4 inches of ice just as smooth and clear as can be.

A few people make ice rinks in their back yards -- we have a natural pond in ours which is the size of a small rink. You get a few strides and then a tight corner. Probably like indoor inline. Lots of crossover practice.
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #87
farmergurl
Flying

yeah...dad would never go to Syracuse when we have a place only 45 minutes away...But I would like to go there sometime. Does it run through the summer? The one where we go to in Watertown doesn't...so I get alittle rusty without skatin' for alittle awhile. Thanks
~Michele
farmergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #88
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmergurl View Post
yeah...dad would never go to Syracuse when we have a place only 45 minutes away...But I would like to go there sometime. Does it run through the summer? The one where we go to in Watertown doesn't...so I get alittle rusty without skatin' for alittle awhile. Thanks
~Michele
It's on Onondoga Lake, and is some state park. It's a public trail so it's open all year long, but probably only skatable 3 seasons.
Have fun!
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #89
irishboy

im chrisss. im 16. i live in rhode islandd. ive played hockey since i was 4 and ive been aggressive skating for about a year.

my ice skates are bauer vapor 10 (the olddddd version from about 2002)

my inline hockey skates are ccm vector..idk the specific model

my aggressive skates are usd carlos pianowski legacies

....thats about it
irishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #90
BOOKER

I am 35 years old, from Panama City. Began skating as a kid but in those days I prefered the bike. Returned to skate at age 32, and now waiting for some Rollerblades to get back in bussiness.
BOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #91
inlina
ABEC42

Corey from Melbourne, Australia. 29yo, been skating for 27 of them (I come from a skating family...my parents owned a couple of rinks). Tried almost everything on skates (quad and inline)...tried to take most genres seriously through competition but the only thing I was ever close to being any good at was hockey (both quad/rink/hardball/whatever it's called now and inline).

If anyone is ever in Melbourne and wants to skate, come to the Melbourne city skate...and let me know when you will be there so I can make sure I am there (as I am not on it as regularly as I should be).

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #92
tmezz

Hey everyone,
My name is Thom I am 40+ and recently returned to quads. I live in coastal South Carolina with my wife. My parents are to blame for all this they started me on skis and ice skates at a young age and I kept going as I got older. I have participated in alot of sports involving self powered wheels (quads, inline, BMX, MTB, scooters) or gravity power (skis, surfboards and snowboards) and even managed to involve bikes in my job (I was the first bike cop at my department). I skated every Friday night from Jr. High until college (either ice or roller) and then not so much. I was on inlines and built my own quad skates during High School. I skated outdoors on inlines with my wife for awhile but she hurt her wrist in an unrelated fall and I didn't feel like going alone. I recently got the urge to skate the local skate park and built a new pair of quads (thanx to rollerdave and his forum for the info). So far I have only skated my new quads inside 'cause I broke a finger last month during a belt test in Karate (yes I got the belt but the surgeon who screwed the finger back together doen't want me to destroy his work so no skating lately I built my wife new skates for Christmas and she loves them so I expect that once I am cleared we will be skating at the rink once a week or so. Thanks for reading
tmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #93
MikeQ
Rental Skates

Hi everyone! My name is Mike. I skate in our local skating rink every saturday night from 6:30 to 12:00(and any other days when money permits ) I really like rythym skating. (i think thats what its called at least) Me and a few other people there skate in rythym to the music..sort of dancing to it. I have been lookin for a while for a friendly skating forum and finally found one..Im hoping to make lots of friends here!
MikeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #94
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmezz View Post
Hey everyone,
My name is Thom I am 40+ and recently returned to quads.
Aw, man. I had such high hopes for you! All it took was one word. Quads. (much head shaking) Well, we can always hope....

Just saw your other post about feeling 16 but being 42. Ain't it great?

Sorry about the finger. Cool about the belt. Welcome to the board.

But, remember, the word is 'inline'.

Skate on.
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #95
tmezz

Default back atcha

Hey gbo,
I still have my inlines but I am much more comfortable, and a better skater for that matter, on the quads. Thanks for the sympathy and the congrats. I am anxiously awaitning my next Dr.'s appt. to see if he will let me be more active (at least let me go to the rink). i will pop in and out when work allows
tmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #96
gbo

BTW, welcome aboard to all of you, not just tmezz.

Ms Fry runs a tight ship, doesn't allow us to use naughty words like 'forum' in out titles, keeps us all on the straight and narrow and would certainly never cause a thread to go off-topic. (see #15 and how the thread went to pot from there)

Also, she gives great hugs.

Pay attention. You'll be expected to toe the line. And, especially, be suitably impressed by anyone with 'senior' in their title.

And, if you're looking for a quick way to increase your post count, see forum games at the bottom of the index.

(I'm going to figure out how to link to just one post if it's the last thing I do, dangit)
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #97
flames
The Pyro Man

Hey guys....

So, I've been skating from since I was 6, and been a fan of it all my life. I just got more into it, which is when I found this forum. Frankly, it's awesome!

When I'm not skating, I'm either in school (god forbid), playing lacrosse (the true love of my life), or posting/modding in other forums. Of all the forums I go to, this is one of the best!

My favorite hobby besides lacrosse is website/graphic design. I've been using the gimp because I can't afford photoshop. I'm currently creating an online project, that is partly a joke, but is pretty cool nonetheless. I'll tell you when I get the whole thing up and running, so you can check it out.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #98
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames View Post
... playing lacrosse (the true love of my life).
SMITE THE BLASPHEMER!!! BURN HIM!!! GET THE TAR, GET THE FEATHERS!!!
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #99
Drew24

The name is Drew, 22, Live near tampa, and I played baseball for most of my life until my arm gave out on me my senior year of high school ending my career. Now I play softball once a week with some old high school buddies. I got to school at the University of South Florida, working towards a degree in International Business, and taking my time since I have to work full time to afford it. I havent skated since I was 14 or so, and complications ended that endevour quite quickly, but now I'm back with more determination to get around my obsticles. I haven't had much experience, but given such, I'd like to think I'm a pretty good skater, but I guess I can thank my athletic nature for that. So if anyone is ever near here, I'd be happy to go down to Bayshore and skate with you! =D
Drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #100
gbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
SMITE THE BLASPHEMER!!! BURN HIM!!! GET THE TAR, GET THE FEATHERS!!!

Speedy! That's why they kicked us off the last forum. You just can't do that on a civilized forum, man. Kathie banned smiting!

Besides that, we used all the feathers to celebrate me lifting my arm again, remember?

Just to get back on topic, Welcome aboard Drew24. Sorry. There are no skaters in Tampa. Congrats on paying your way through school. Tough.

Last edited by gbo; January 12th, 2007 at 12:41 AM.