S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #41
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Pastskater....
I have a photo on my web site ... it's on the "Session Skaters" page.
I am pretty sure these are wooden wheels ! Click on the pic for a larger view to see the wheels a little better. The pic is of my husbands brother Freddie (on the right, not in unoform) He was killed in an Army trucking accident 8 months after this pic was taken.
www.reginam.com
Rick or Mary Lu, I am sure, could tell us if these are the old wooden wheels! Look at the guy's too... they have the "clamp on skates" ...

regina
WOW~ It is a crazy thought to think there was skating artistic with wooden wheels.

I will ask with S.Miller if she has any such photos or the Museum

thank you for the link!
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #42
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Now they're holding it up in the Bay area where I would never want to go even if it wasn't too far. At least Bakersfield was centrally located.
Regionals is now held in Fresno, the raisin capital of the world. I personally don't know why it isn't cycled between somewhere here in Southern California and Northern California-- or elsewhere.

From what I understand there isn't even a rink in town to practice at offsite.

We're going up for Gold Skate-- I'll give you a read on my opinion on the place when I get back.

Mary Lu
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #43
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
So we have some Yorkie lovers in here huh? We have 2 and they are great little dogs. They are named Henry and Emma.
Bob-- For years I was raising and showing Mini-Schnauzers and Labs. On top of Belle being the new kid of the house... we have Andy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwehmei...7600067594815/ He's one very special spoiled brat. He had to retire from doing serious agility so we could show him for his Champion points.

Mary Lu
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #44
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Regionals is now held in Fresno, the raisin capital of the world. I personally don't know why it isn't cycled between somewhere here in Southern California and Northern California-- or elsewhere.

We're going up for Gold Skate-- I'll give you a read on my opinion on the place when I get back.

Mary Lu
I think that Bakersfield used to have 3 rinks to practice at.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #45
Ancient1

Mary,
Your comment about still getting a high off of saw dust reminded me of the smell of powder in the old days. Once you got use to it, it was fantastic. For those that don't remember, powder was used before urathane coatings to keep the wheels from slipping.
I do remember and had a set of wood wheels (but for speed only) and they were dexters. I used Fiber for art, and then slipped into urathane later.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #46
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I think that Bakersfield used to have 3 rinks to practice at.
Dunn's still have two rinks in Bakersfield. Not sure about a third. The rink in Modesto closed last year.

They are holding Regionals in Fresno again this year. If I were skating, I'd be staying home until just before I had to skate in order to be able to practice, save a few bucks and be stretched out.

When Regions hold their championships in arenas, they need to consider having a practice rink within a reasonable drive.

Just my opinion--

Mary Lu
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #47
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Mary,
Your comment about still getting a high off of saw dust reminded me of the smell of powder in the old days. Once you got use to it, it was fantastic. For those that don't remember, powder was used before urathane coatings to keep the wheels from slipping.
I do remember and had a set of wood wheels (but for speed only) and they were dexters. I used Fiber for art, and then slipped into urathane later.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ah yes I do remember that aroma well-- as well as the cloud of dust that covered nearly everything in the building. Oh-d-RollerRink!

Do remember Dexter wood wheels-- and remember how they could shatter too!

Mary Lu
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #48
RogerSK8s

Fred Ranalli not only made wheels, and some pretty good ones at that, but he also made a set of figure plates. He was an engineer and had an idea for the adult figure skaters.
The Atlas plate was being marketed as a quick-response plate. The idea was that you could correct your mistakes quickly.
Sounds good but look at the flip side of that argument. If you can correct quickly, you also MAKE them quickly. This is a good theory for the younger and more accomplished skater. But many of the adult skaters are not in good enough physical shape to be able to control that plate as well as it should be controlled.
Fred saw and understood this so he set out to design a plate for the esquire figure skaters (masters events hadn't been invented yet). Knowing that the Atlas (and the Snyder Imperial) were sports cars, so to speak, he designed a "station wagon" or "BOAT" that would not respond quickly at all. It was so ungodly slow due to its design that you really couldn't make mistakes with it. The truck length was about 30 percent longer than anything on the market and the cushions were a weird shape - LARGE trapezoid. Nothing like them existed. He told me that he produced less than a hundred of them and I never saw another set than the pair I bought for my (then) wife. He offered them to me because I had a pro shop that catered strictly to the artistic skater at that time. It was a very good idea for the straight figures but he didn't push hard to market it and it kinda slipped into obscurity.
I wish I had bought a set for myself but I had other irons in the fire at that time so I passed on it. She (wife) did well for what little she skated but we went our separate ways and she quit skating.

Later on, I modified a pair of Snyder Supers to do exactly what Fred had done and I proved the concept. At least I proved it to myself. People who saw what I had built said that I should produce and market them but the market was so narrow and I didn't want to spend my time in a machine shop.
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #49
RogerSK8s

One more idea that was on the market but not pushed hard was the MICROSTAR plate.
It had a 33 degree action and the truck was mounted on an axle that was supported by 2 bearings. Sounds strange.
The cushions were around the axle, not the king pin. It didn't have a kingpin. There was no adjustment on them other than changing cushion hardness. They offered several hardnesses. It was a good engineering idea but again, not marketed successfully. I have a set of them and played with them briefly but since they were the wrong size for me, I didn't do anything serious with them. I guess I should have sent them back for the right size but I didn't and went back to my IMPERIALS. Still have them and might play with them in the future but they're really on the back burner.
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #50
rwsz

Quote:

Mary Lu

no practice rink in fresno area or just not in fresno downtown area, use to be 2 rinks 10 to 15 minutes from the venue?
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #51
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSK8s View Post
One more idea that was on the market but not pushed hard was the MICROSTAR plate.
It had a 33 degree action and the truck was mounted on an axle that was supported by 2 bearings. Sounds strange.
The cushions were around the axle, not the king pin. It didn't have a kingpin. There was no adjustment on them other than changing cushion hardness. They offered several hardnesses. It was a good engineering idea but again, not marketed successfully. I have a set of them and played with them briefly but since they were the wrong size for me, I didn't do anything serious with them. I guess I should have sent them back for the right size but I didn't and went back to my IMPERIALS. Still have them and might play with them in the future but they're really on the back burner.

i remember the microstar plate and only knew 2 people that used them, 1 of them loved them and used them a long time and i dont know what happened to the other one, i never skated on them myself but did mount a couple of them for other skaters to boots. did seem like a good concept that never worked out.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #52
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
WOW~ It is a crazy thought to think there was skating artistic with wooden wheels.

I will ask with S.Miller if she has any such photos or the Museum

thank you for the link!

how about wooden wheels and ball bearings in the hub of the wheel lol. i use to have a lot of those but tossed them 10 years ago or so. they also used powder on the floor bad them as they didnt have rolline or a plastic coating at the time. i never did art in them but skated with them and they were good, depends on what you get used too. also the worst things i ever skated on were those clamp on, key to tighten and metal wheels outside lol, man were those dangerous, especially if you hit a crack or rock lmao.
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #53
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
no practice rink in fresno area or just not in fresno downtown area, use to be 2 rinks 10 to 15 minutes from the venue?
Rick: No Rinkies Period. Nearest ones are Dunn's in Bakersfield, as far as I know. Bummer huh? Mary Lu
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #54
rwsz

Quote:
Rick: No Rinkies Period. Nearest ones are Dunn's in Bakersfield, as far as I know. Bummer huh? Mary Lu

yes thats not good but to be honest we never did extra practices for regionals, only nationals. of course our regionals werent as long as yours in the sw.
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #55
Skatervideoguy

Hi All,

RogerSK8s, I rode a pair of the MicroStars once at a Rink in Iowa somewere.

They were very strange to skate on coming from the Synders I wore at the time. Had similar feel to Ice Skates, well sort-of.

rwsz, I used those metal wheeled, key tightening, shoe fiting skates as a kid. Sidewalks were really fun - not. Even went to a small Rink later on, that had that type skate as rentals - only using regular Rink type wheels and open bearings.

As to other old stuff, any one still have, or use, the Canadian Red 8's or the little Black LABEDA HUGGERS ?? Both had good traction, but were a bit slow.

I've still got two sets of the HUGGERS, and wore them 20+ years. My Canadians have long since disapeared.

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; April 5th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #56
Mewtat
Millennium Hand & Shrimp

I don't do artistic skating anymore, but wow this is bringing back memories. I briefly remember Hyper Reevo's, man those were some slick wheels. And Champ's Wheels, I think they were called Champ's. (I might be mistaken.) Then again I also always got yelled at by my coach Sue Ovens. I was young and goofed off a lot!

~Jenn
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #57
lovemysk8rgirl

Quote:
The Dunns' only own Skateland here in Bakersfield as far as I know. There are also two Rolleramas here, one downtown and one in the NW.

We're two hours from Fresno... that'd be quite a drive just for practice! A quick Google search shows at least two roller rinks in the Fresno area -- one in Fresno and one in Clovis... both much closer than Bakersfield.
lovemysk8rgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #58
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysk8rgirl View Post
The Dunns' only own Skateland here in Bakersfield as far as I know. There are also two Rolleramas here, one downtown and one in the NW.

We're two hours from Fresno... that'd be quite a drive just for practice! A quick Google search shows at least two roller rinks in the Fresno area -- one in Fresno and one in Clovis... both much closer than Bakersfield.
It's my understanding that the rink in Fresno is closed. Clovis? Who knows.
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #59
rwsz

Quote:

Mary Clovis was the rink we used for practice in fresno back in the 90s, a little out the way, 15 to 20 minutes from most hotels. dont know if its open either though.
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #60
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Yes, I think any rinks in Fresno are closed. We used Clovis for regional practice last year. I think we are using them again this year. They have open practice and private practice.
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote