S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM   #21
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I had one of the older sets of Rannallis and they were the tightest gripping art wheels that I ever skated on. People doing freestyle always wanted the tighter gripping wheels, the dance skaters usually wanted better roll. Still a lot of us used the tighter gripping wheels for everything. The last set of wheels that I bought not long before I quit was a set of Z100's. That is what I have on my skates now although they haven't been used since 1988 when I skated twice.

OMG those Ranallis were so slippery!! i had them and it was the worst nationals of my life on those wheels!! of course i didnt listen to my coach and I still wore them!!! and well, slip slip slippin i went!!! haha...
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:42 AM   #22
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
OMG those Ranallis were so slippery!! i had them and it was the worst nationals of my life on those wheels!! of course i didnt listen to my coach and I still wore them!!! and well, slip slip slippin i went!!! haha...
I had one of the earlier sets, maybe the later ones were different. They eventually came out with a whole line of wheels. I had a set of speed wheels model 100 I think that were on the slippery side, but my older art set held tight on every floor I ever skated on. I finally chipped one of the wheels though. I landed an axle and heard the crack as I hit. Too poor at the time to buy another set so that was the end of my skating on those. I went back to Mercurys for a time and then to a Z100 dance wheel and quit freestyle which I was not too terribly serious about anyway.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM   #23
snydertoestops
Too Old School For You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srknurse View Post
I was thinking yesterday, in the '70's and '80's when I began skating, there were a lot more companies catering to skating....and I was remembering what businesses/products are no longer available or in business.

So, I thought I'd start this thread: what do you miss most in terms of products or businesses related to artistic roller skating? And...perhaps then other readers can write about new products that might have replaced older products or perhaps product substitutions....?

1) Unicorn Sport - I really liked their skating clothes.

2) The Jump Tender - remember reading about this in Skate magazine and begged to have one in my garage growing up. Needless to say, I didn't get one. (Is something like this still available? Not the ice skating version, where someone else has to pull a rope...).

3) Excalibur wheels - I know, I know...not up to today's standards, but still cool, nevertheless.

4) Inga tights - I bought these at the ice rink in Seattle when I was about 10-11, and used them for practice at our chilly rink!

5) Remember when Danskin used to sell skating items?

6) Remember the column, "Is the meet over yet?" in Skate magazine? I still have that author's book. Love it!

Looking forward to reading the replies on this thread!
Unicorn Sport - They still make boot covers, I think.
Danskin - Didn't they just stop?
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM   #24
NaNaDo

and as you said... Oh, what "Memories" .... Hope more people can bring back some more memories!

Last edited by NaNaDo; January 29th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:55 AM   #25
angoraknitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Why did they stop holding regionals in Bakersfield?
I don't know, but I was so sad to learn they didn't anymore. I live so close to B-Field now, it's only a few hours away, shoot!

I miss my Star Wheels. I know some folks are somehow, still able to get ahold of them...but I've not been so lucky...had to buy those new Giotto wheels instead It's so much more comforting to buy what you know instead of having to go out on a limb and hope it as good or better.
angoraknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM   #26
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angoraknitter View Post
I don't know, but I was so sad to learn they didn't anymore. I live so close to B-Field now, it's only a few hours away, shoot!

I miss my Star Wheels. I know some folks are somehow, still able to get ahold of them...but I've not been so lucky...had to buy those new Giotto wheels instead It's so much more comforting to buy what you know instead of having to go out on a limb and hope it as good or better.
I know what you mean. The last time I skated, not one of the current wheels existed. I have never skated on any of them. If I start skating again and have to buy new wheels I have no idea what I would like.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM   #27
rwsz

the hyper tracers did come with 2 push wheels. i know people that never used the push wheels and later made a dance set out of them. after all they were the hyper dance wheels.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #28
bobnva

Remember the Advantage freestyle wheels? They had a hard compound on the inside should of the wheel and the rest of the wheel was a softer compound. Loved those wheels. Used those with the All American Dreams as slide wheels.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #29
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
Remember the Advantage freestyle wheels? They had a hard compound on the inside should of the wheel and the rest of the wheel was a softer compound. Loved those wheels. Used those with the All American Dreams as slide wheels.

there was also a silver shadow wheel like that for dance, 63mm or so. was a good wheel, sometimes the inside and outside would separate though.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #30
Skatervideoguy

Hi All,

How's about the "Dexter" Wood Speed wheels with open ball bearings ???

These are what I started my speed skating on in about 64.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #31
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi All,

How's about the "Dexter" Wood Speed wheels with open ball bearings ???
talking about clearing some cob-webs...oh my goodness~
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #32
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
talking about clearing some cob-webs...oh my goodness~
We can also talk about using a grinder on your wheels to smooth 'em out too. God and people wonder why I get a high off the smell of sawdust all these years.
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #33
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
the hyper tracers did come with 2 push wheels. i know people that never used the push wheels and later made a dance set out of them. after all they were the hyper dance wheels.
Rick I've got a set of Hyper's here. Wonder if they'd be any good to use? They're brand new still in the plastic.
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #34
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Rick I've got a set of Hyper's here. Wonder if they'd be any good to use? They're brand new still in the plastic.

i guess it will all depend on the floor, but i think they should be useable, might be harder then before when they were made?
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #35
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

My grandfather...God bless his soul, would talk about wooden teeth and so I did I swear also he spoke of wooden wheels...is there such and if so any photos on this?

Old January 28th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #36
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
My grandfather...God bless his soul, would talk about wooden teeth and so I did I swear also he spoke of wooden wheels...is there such and if so any photos on this?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][I]Hi Pastskater....

Last edited by NaNaDo; January 29th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #37
NWGlenn

Here's a link to a thread on this forum all about wooden wheels:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...=wooden+wheels

Glenn
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #38
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Pastskater....
I have a photo on my web site ... it's on the "Session Skaters" page.
I am pretty sure these are wooden wheels ! Click on the pic for a larger view to see the wheels a little better. The pic is of my husbands brother Freddie (on the right, not in unoform) He was killed in an Army trucking accident 8 months after this pic was taken.
www.reginam.com
Rick or Mary Lu, I am sure, could tell us if these are the old wooden wheels! Look at the guy's too... they have the "clamp on skates" ...

regina
Regina--

Not sure on the photo. But it is the right timeframe.

Okay now you've got to tell me is Cinnamon Anne a Silky or a Yorkie? I refer you to my new baby... er puppy pictures of Belle at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwehmei...7602816785670/

Mary Lu
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #39
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Regina--

Not sure on the photo. But it is the right timeframe.

Okay now you've got to tell me is Cinnamon Anne a Silky or a Yorkie? I refer you to my new baby... er puppy pictures of Belle at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwehmei...7602816785670/

Mary Lu

Hi Mary Lu ...
Thanks for looking at the picture ... My husband was only 5 when this picture was taken There is only a few memories of Freddie that he has ... and one of the memories is Freddie carrying these skates out the front door, so excited to "get to the rink".

Belle is so cute !!! And obviously well loved and cared for!!!

Cinnamon Anne and Emie Jo (on rhe miscellaneous page) are both Shih Tzu's. Cinnamon is the Standard size at 14 pounds and Emie Jo is an Imperial size at 8 pounds. My friend has 3 Shih Tzu's and also has a Yorkie! The Yorkie's name is Gracie and she is adorable... so tiny! She weighs 4 pounds and may just grow to 4 1/2 pounds! To small for me though... it really is a big responsibility having a pupper that small running around the house !!! There is a "link" on the miscallaneous page to see more pics of Cinnamon Anne and Emie Jo.

Thanks Mary Lu

regina

Last edited by NaNaDo; January 29th, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #40
bobnva

So we have some Yorkie lovers in here huh? We have 2 and they are great little dogs. They are named Henry and Emma.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote