S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 18th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Sk8DownUnder

Question Roll-line Matrix and Energy plate comparison (artistic skating)

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I live in Adelaide/Australia and I am involved in freestyle artistic roller skating (jumps, spins and footwork). Several years ago I came second in the Australian National Championships.

For 24 years I have been skating in WIFA boots with Boiani Star plates. I broke my ankles 14 weeks ago partially due to the broken down boots after 24 years usage (they had a long hard life). Don't let things get this far!

I tried then to recreate my old skates but also wanted to test the new Edea/Roll-line technology in comparison. This resulted in me loving the Edea boots (Concerto) and Roll-line plates. I tested the Roll-line plates in getting cheap second hand Variant plates (with plastic trucks) for a test run only. I just loved this set-up.

Having decided now to go with Roll-line I am now trying to make a decision which professional plates I should go with. There is the Matrix plate and Energy plate I am considering.
The Matrix plate has a lower centre of gravity (as I learned in this forum). I am not clear whether this has any advantages. I am quite comfortable and happy with the Variant plates, which have a higher centre of gravity.
So, at this stage I am in favor of the Energy plate. There are also DB12 and Evo plates. Not sure what to think of those as hardly anyone uses these.

Is anyone out there in freestyle skating who can tell me about their experience with either Matrix or Energy plates (or ideally both)? For example, behaviour in relation to footwork, jumps, spins? Advantages and disadvantages? Are you happy with your plates?

I have been reading all posts in the Skatelog forum on the Energy and Matrix plates in question, but these were mainly discussed by derby/ speed skaters, which is a different perspective or they focus on the weight of the plates. There are no reviews on the Internet anywhere only advertisements. Not sure why.

It would be really helpful to learn about your experience/knowledge! Thanks.
Sk8DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #2
PACAskater

Default I will try....

to answer your question!

I do dance, freestyle, and figures. I have set aside the freestyle while I work on my dance and freestyle elements for the upcoming competitions.

I came back into skating and used my 30+ year old Atlas plates for freestyle. I also was using the Roll Line Dance plate for my dance lessons/practice. I had a very difficult time switching between the two. I tried the Roll Line Variant for my freestyle set up and still did not like it.....at all. The switching between the two was difficult and unsettled me. I didn't like having to spend 10-15 minutes getting used to my skates before I could do anything.

I ended up buying the Roll Line Energy plate for my freestyle set up. I really, really like it. It's most similar to my dance set up. It has been very easy to adjust and fit my spinning/jumping style. (I am an older skater and do simple spins and single jumps). Again, it mirrors my dance setup so doing footwork has been easy.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
T
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

I have both the Energy Steel and the Matrix Steel. I skated on Snyder Super Deluxe as a kid. The weight savings of the Titanium models is meaningless :-)

If you are ONLY going to do freestyle then get the Matrix. If you are going to do dance, figures, etc. then get the Energy. The Energy is a better all-around skate while the Matrix is better freestyle specific. It's the equivalent of getting an all-around plate or a figure specific plate. You really only notice it when you've reached the limits of the all-around skate.

The Matrix feels lower. If I switch immediately from the Energy (which are now my dance skates) to the Matrix I feel lower. But the difference is less than a cm. I'll try and post pictures later. It's more pronounced on my skates because the Energy plate is on 62mm wheels while the Matrix is on 57mm wheels.

If I could only get one plate it would probably be the Energy.

I'd say the Matrix spins a little better, but for class B and C spins it really doesn't matter. Jumping is the same on both plates

I don't know anything about the DB12 or Evo but if SkatesUS wants to sponsor me I'd be willing to give them a shot :-)
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

The dance, matrix and evo all have what roll line calls a lower center of gravity, which actually means the king pin angle is 22% vs the rest of the roll line plates which are 18%.
So trying the dance for a lot less money, then, possibly buying the matrix or evo would be an option.

Last edited by ursle; June 19th, 2017 at 08:52 AM.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #5
Sk8DownUnder

Smile

Thank you all for your replies! I am very grateful!

I was quite surprised to learn that the Variant plate would feel very different than the Energy plate (thank you PACAskater!). This is important to know as I assumed these plates would feel similar. That's why my initial preference was the Energy plate.

I am only going to do only freestyle and think I will go for the Matrix (thank you inverse137!). Spins might work out even better then.

The order will go in tomorrow and I might receive the Matrix plate by the end of the week, just in time for the skating sessions on the weekend.

And I am with you inverse137 - DB12 and Evo are welcome if sponsored anytime, I'll give them a go too

Will keep you updated once I have a few skating sessions on the Matrix!
Thanks again!!!
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #6
amohrfeld

What is the difference between the Martix and the Dance?

Best I can tell the only difference is the Matrix is slightly lighter. But is it worth $76 more?
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:19 AM   #7
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
What is the difference between the Martix and the Dance?

Best I can tell the only difference is the Matrix is slightly lighter. But is it worth $76 more?
The Matrix is freestyle specific and the Dance is dance specific.

The geometry between the two is different.

The Matrix is a good freestyle plate and an ehh dance plate.

The Dance is a good dance plate and an ehh freestyle plate.

I still think the Energy is the best all-around plate.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #8
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverse137 View Post
The geometry between the two is different.
Had to do some digging. Turns out they have different trucks. Notice the pivot pin on the Dance is steeper. This means the pivot ball is closer to the king pin. Which results in steeper axis of rotation = more turn per foot force.

Old June 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #9
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I have been using the Dance plate for about 3 years now, since it was released.
I have skate my whole life, app. 60 years old. have tried many plates and nothing has compared to the Dance plate for me, granted I have not tried the other high high end Roll-line plates, but I definitely recommend the Dance plate. I also use the Edea Fly boot, with the Dance plate, great combination.
good luck on your selection.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #10
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpinball View Post
I have been using the Dance plate for about 3 years now, since it was released.
I have skate my whole life, app. 60 years old. have tried many plates and nothing has compared to the Dance plate for me, granted I have not tried the other high high end Roll-line plates, but I definitely recommend the Dance plate. I also use the Edea Fly boot, with the Dance plate, great combination.
good luck on your selection.
I don't believe I've ever read a post where you've mentioned your skating style. Do you have some videos? I'd love to see those in action.
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #11
larryoracing

Smile Welcome Sk8 down and under,

Dear “Down and Under”.

Sad to say I have a pair of Steel Matrix plates, but I have never mounted them up.

I agree with you about the “Concerto” boots and “Energy” plates. I have that setup and it is an excellent one. The main reason is that the Concerto Boot gives a lot of firm, solid support around the angles. I could never imagine breaking an ankle with a “Concerto” boot.

Also the “Energy” plate is very solid. You feel very solid on them and they want to go in a straight line when you land. You don’t have to worry about twisting an ankle worrying about the trucks turning to sharply during landings or if you get off balance when landing a jump.

The only thing is I got a good deal on the Energy plates and bought them in size 160 and I think my spins and such would be a little better with the 165 size. 165 size is the perfect size for my 275 size “Concerto” boots.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing your comments on the “Matrix” plate.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #12
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Dear “Down and Under”.

I think my spins and such would be a little better with the 165 size. 165 size is the perfect size for my 275 size “Concerto” boots.
Wouldn't spins be easier on a smaller plate? My understanding is you want a longer "stable" plate for jumps and a shorter plate for footwork and spins.
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:43 AM   #13
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Wouldn't spins be easier on a smaller plate? My understanding is you want a longer "stable" plate for jumps and a shorter plate for footwork and spins.
yes that was always said for shorter and longer but if they are too short u will go on your toes a lot more i think. i think the energy plate might be more stable for freestyle due to the edges being a bit slower.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM   #14
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
u will go on your toes a lot more i think.
Think I'll start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

I'm actually trying to determine which plate to use and wheel spacing to use.
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #15
Sk8DownUnder

Smile Test Run 1 with the Matrix plates

I mounted and tried the Matrix plates. It was really helpful to find an older threat here on Skatelog to figure out which of the plate was left and right as there is a difference between toe stop on the left and right plate.

My first impression was distorted by very soft green cushions (extra soft - up to 45kg), which came with the plates.
I also have the grey cushions (soft - from 45 to 55kg) and the clear blue cushions (medium - 55 to 70kg). As the cushions are shorter than in other models, they also supposed to be harder. My weight is 53kg.
Surprisingly the blue cushions seem to be working for me although I will take my time later and try different cushion hardness for the upper and lower cushions. I already received clear upper cushions (medium/hard - 70-90kg) for testing.

After I put the clear blue cushions in, I was able to test the Matrix plates properly. They feel very safe. It seems to be almost impossible to fall.
Maybe this is due to the lower centre of gravity of the Matrix plate. Spins worked really really well and so did jumps. I am quite thrilled with them.

Thank you all for your help. I am very happy to have chosen the Matrix plates. Will keep you updated on further adventures with the cushions.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8DownUnder View Post
I mounted and tried the Matrix plates. It was really helpful to find an older threat here on Skatelog to figure out which of the plate was left and right as there is a difference between toe stop on the left and right plate.

My first impression was distorted by very soft green cushions (extra soft - up to 45kg), which came with the plates.
I also have the grey cushions (soft - from 45 to 55kg) and the clear blue cushions (medium - 55 to 70kg). As the cushions are shorter than in other models, they also supposed to be harder. My weight is 53kg.
Surprisingly the blue cushions seem to be working for me although I will take my time later and try different cushion hardness for the upper and lower cushions. I already received clear upper cushions (medium/hard - 70-90kg) for testing.

After I put the clear blue cushions in, I was able to test the Matrix plates properly. They feel very safe. It seems to be almost impossible to fall.
Maybe this is due to the lower centre of gravity of the Matrix plate. Spins worked really really well and so did jumps. I am quite thrilled with them.

Thank you all for your help. I am very happy to have chosen the Matrix plates. Will keep you updated on further adventures with the cushions.
that is good, u can also mix them if u like, the cushions that is, usually u can use the harder large ones.

Tags
matrix energy plates