S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 07April2011

Hi All, BlackLace,

Well Adult Skate was pretty good. We only had a few beginner adults so the floor was safer than with too many newbies.

Amy, a young gal skate guard of a few years ago, Art Skater, Artist, was first playing around in the middle with the young guys doing one foot stuff and then when later bored was chasing a pretty good InLine guy that also likes his speed. He is our Siren Guy late in the session.

Had a Birthday cake for our buddy Tammy who is past 39 by a few. She is our talker and general liker of people. She is always so nice and soon her 2nd marriage will be 10 to a really good skater.

Ken had another crash this week with some of the gals. It was one of those slow things that just should not have happened to good skaters. I mean that is weird since he is so good yet this makes 3 weeks in a row that he has either fallen himself or crashed some gal. We laughed about it and the one gal showed her bruises due to Kenny.

I think the owner / DJ played some Reggae music and might not have known it or Just had a fling.

Several of the current regulars were missing.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #22
KMA

Just got back from a retro night session in San Ramon.

Not very crowded, which was nice. Got in some speed practice, jumps (I landed one nice-ish waltz jump) and I am learning to crazy leg.

Only fell once, skinned the same elbow I skinned last tues. in speed practice. Tomorrow, no session, but speed practice.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wednesday 12April2011

Hi ALL,

Well tonight was nice. It is Wacky Wednesday (free entry with item of the week). Lots of skate places have Wacky Wednesday and AM Stroller Tuesday Skate (I think it is Tuesday). The RSA seems to help the Rink Owners create these common formats.

My big news is that our World Champion Pair (of about 10 years ago), and Art Skating Instructors are staying a spell after they finish lessons and enjoying themselves skating with each other. After the piles of kids they have had since their skating highs, it is fun to watch them re-enjoy skating even if for a short time. They even did a partial lift tonight. I was worried about them particularly the wife.

My new gal Karen and her finance and their kids were there again. Karen and I had fun rhythm skating together and it kind of inspired our gal in paragraph two to show some of her great stuff which included fast 3 foot turns.

More and more. And my little girl buddy (maybe 8) with older dad or older mom always coming to watch was also present. She also does Ice Skating training down in Acton with I guess some Olympic Russian skaters that are quite disciplined from warm_ups to cool_downs.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #24
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Ah, friday night at the concrete rink. On quads again.

Typical random combination of sensible adults, 2/3 inlines, 1/3 quads. hockey kids playing chase (grrrr!!!). A few derby girls. A couple of derby guys.

You know. Roller derby is such an awesomely social sport. You don't even have to play to have derby girls come up to you and introduce themselves. You apparently only have to *look* the part . Since I wear pads and a helmet at sessions (couldn't dream up a sensible reason not to), and I dress in gothy/lacy black stuff, and stripy stockings all the time anyway, I'm apparently indistinguishable from the average newbie fresh meat.

They all seem so disappointed when I tell them I'm not going to. But I admit, I'm half tempted to go along to practice though and learn, just so I can learn to take out the hockey tweens! (grrrr!).

Only my third session on these quads so still very timid, largely terrified of my skates short plates. Spent most of the time, being boring, just going round and round working on my still crappy (but improving) crossovers. Dancing, carefully, a bit, along the straights. Music was crap. Virtually nothing with any danceable groove. Not that I can do much on quads yet anyway.

Its so frustrating being scared and clumsy all over again
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #25
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
Only my third session on these quads so still very timid, largely terrified of my skates short plates. Spent most of the time, being boring, just going round and round working on my still crappy (but improving) crossovers. Dancing, carefully, a bit, along the straights. Music was crap. Virtually nothing with any danceable groove. Not that I can do much on quads yet anyway.

Its so frustrating being scared and clumsy all over again
As I've said to others...relax, it'll come. "Crappy" or not, I still see people (kids to adults) at my rink who've been going every session I go to for MONTHS who are still too scared to even try crossovers yet! Already doing them at only your third session? Even if they're not perfect, you're already "ahead" of the game! Congradulate yourself...and keep workin' on em.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #26
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
As I've said to others...relax, it'll come. "Crappy" or not, I still see people (kids to adults) at my rink who've been going every session I go to for MONTHS who are still too scared to even try crossovers yet! Already doing them at only your third session? Even if they're not perfect, you're already "ahead" of the game! Congradulate yourself...and keep workin' on em.
Thank you

But this was my third session *on quads*. Being able to do crossovers on inlines already helps immensely I sure. Took me about 3 months of skating before I had enough skill and courage to even start learning crossovers on inlines.

My current problems doing crossovers on quads is largely due the differences in technique, rather than the basic elements (underpush etc), or the crossover-fear-factor. Mainly learning to put my inside foot down with the correct lean, so it doesn't go veering off in some random direction, scaring the pedestrians for minute etc...
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #27
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
Thank you

But this was my third session *on quads*. Being able to do crossovers on inlines already helps immensely I sure. Took me about 3 months of skating before I had enough skill and courage to even start learning crossovers on inlines.
Quit talking down on yourself. You said it yourself...it took ya 3 MONTHS to even try on inlines...and only your 3rd session on quads and doing it? It's a big "milestone" in your (quad) skating progress! WHOOOHOO!!
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #28
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Today. The hockey rink. (The one I call Desolation Rink, because it's city run, shockingly badly promoted, and generally nearly deserted). Back on inlines. Decided I needed to get back on them before I forgot how

No problem. 5 minutes of being a bit wobbly and too far forward, and then they felt like home again! *Love* *love* *love* the feeling of rockered inlines. Have so much more fun on them. That said, it's largely a matter of skill, I'm sure. My quads will eventually feel nice too, I'm sure, when I get competent on them.

Anyway. The session was light (as usual). Mostly adults, a few newbie teens, the odd (well behaved) teenage NHL wannabe. A couple of derby girls. Everyone else on hockey inlines. Music was typical fluffy pop d'jour. Mostly skatable/danceable if generally totally forgettable.

I spent a large amount of time starting to learn grapevine, which is not flowing yet, but I made a lot of progress today on it. I figured I need to learn some front<->back transitions, so this will get me those for free. Also worked on my Forward Nelson too, which is improving too.

Challenged my derby friend to a race, rules were "both feet on the ground the whole time". Got my ass kicked royally. Haha. No surprise really.

Really enjoyed myself today.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #29
7Skaters

Success, good deed(s) of the day and WHOA!

Finally skated my "new" skates for more than 2 laps, got 'em ALMOST where I want 'em just need to loosen the trucks a tad bit more. WHOOHOO!

Cleaned up 2 pairs of my girls' old skates and actually remembered to bring 'em. One went to a 6/7 yr. old little girl...mom, dad (?), and grandma all had skates but they hadn't gotten her any yet due to not being sure if she'd like skating (they'd only been out a few times so far)...she ditched the rentals and was zippin' around the floor like mad. Couldn't get her to sit down after she got her "new" ones on. The other pair went to a little girl around 9/10. She was scared to try them at first, but by the end of the session, she was doing much better in her "new" skates, too! Not even CLOSE to top of the line...in fact, rather cheap ones...but better than them landing in a garbage dump somewhere as they did have some life left in 'em and the two little girls won't be in 'em all that long anyway.

The floor was AMAZING today! Don't know what they did, but the first corner was somewhat smooth (think they may have sanded it) and OMG it was SO nice! I'm thinking they may also have put on a new coat of...something. I don't think they use roll on, but it was rainy today and that floor usually gets so dang slick it's hard to skate by the end of the session...not today! I had excellent grip the entire session...on both pairs of skates. I wish it could be like that all the time, but I know whatever they did to the floor won't last long.

On another note...my rink doesn't allow cameras, at least, no pics/video of the skate floor itself. Their policy is it's to protect those skating from...dang, I forget how they term it...but it's basically a "privacy" issue. Umm...if you want privacy - STAY AT HOME! Though the camera flash - especially when they dim the lights - is annoying. I was ready to take down a guy at least 3 times my size if he blinded me one more time with his stupid flash. On the upside, they were really cracking down on camera usage. Of course, on the down side, that's ALL they were cracking down on. Not too many were going in the wrong direction but there were a few and we had one mom carrying her kid on the floor that the guards never said anything too.

My oldest daughter now wants to work at the local Sonic when she gets older, "I'll be paid to skate without having to get a job at the rink!" I told her "Yeah, but at the rink, you're paid to play/listen to music!" Since the guards rarely ever do anything anyway.

Overall, it was a pretty good session today.
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #30
Dennis Lauer

Yes it was a good session and the floor was amazingly good, hardly any slip at all. I thought that it was possiby because it was also the cleanest I've seen the floor ever. When I got home there was hardly any caked on dirt on my wheels.

It was so good that your old skates went to new girls that will really enjoy using them.

Quote" 7 Skaters On the upside, they were really cracking down on camera usage. Of course, on the down side, that's ALL they were cracking down on. Not too many were going in the wrong direction but there were a few and we had one mom carrying her kid on the floor that the guards never said anything too."

Is the down side from the floor guards? The floor guards only do as directed by management. The wrong way skaters and those skaters that cut off other skaters with no regard for the safety of themselves or the skaters they cut off needs to be addressed by management. Also at the session you may not have seen the young children, to young to know better, crawling around on the darkened skate floor trying to stay on the portions of the floor that were lighted by the moving colored spot lights. this was the most dangerous thing I saw at the session and it was totally ignored by at least one floor guard and apparently not seen by the other floor guards as nothing was done about it.

All of the down things were still outweighed by the much improved skate floor!

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #31
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
Is the down side from the floor guards? The floor guards only do as directed by management. The wrong way skaters and those skaters that cut off other skaters with no regard for the safety of themselves or the skaters they cut off needs to be addressed by management. Also at the session you may not have seen the young children, to young to know better, crawling around on the darkened skate floor trying to stay on the portions of the floor that were lighted by the moving colored spot lights. this was the most dangerous thing I saw at the session
Well...that's the thing...what - exactly - DOES management tell them? i'd LOVE to get a job there, just to see what her "training process" is. She just might tell them "don't allow this/don't allow that"...but since she's never actually out there except when teaching the kiddie beginner class before the session, she doesn't know if/how the rules are being enforced. Sadly, until there's a major accident and someone REALLY starts bitching, she's not going to know what the guards are doing...or rather, NOT doing.

I knew the reckless ones were out there, they almost always are, but I didn't personally see them cutting anyone off. Though I did completely forget about the little brats...er...kids...playing in those stupid spotlights.

For those not in the know...my home rink just got new lighting. In each of the corners, they have a focused light, changes patterns and moves a LITTLE, but not much...everything is within a...what...6 foot area or so. The little ones (2 - 6 yr. olds) like to sit on the floor and try to "catch" the lights. When the main lights are dimmed and they turn those things on, yeah, that was the most brilliant idea the rink has ever had. ARGH!!

As for the most dangerous...I think it's a toss up between that and the moms carrying their kids on the floor. I KNOW that idiot blonde guard who likes to spend more time in the DJ booth than on the floor did see at least one of the moms who was doing that...and proceeded to skate right on by without saying a word to her.

I'D feel guilty enough running into a kid playing in those stupid lights (though if mom and dad...the guards...don't say anything to them, help them with rules, what can ya do if you don't see them in time?)...but imagine how a MOM (or dad, of course) would feel if - when carrying their child - they tripped and fell on their child. The parental guilt would be even worse, especially if it was a serious fall. Not that I EVER want to see a kid get hurt, of course...but...a good fall that scares the kid, not actually hurting him/her...might be an eye opener to the parents who insist on doing that. *wishes it would happen, just once*
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #32
Dennis Lauer

As far as danger is concerned the parents I saw skating and carrying children probably at worst will only severely injure their child or themselves if they fall while carrying their child. This would seem to have only a remote chance of leading to injury to other skaters. These parents are the adults that are supposed to be responsible for their minor childrens safety. If rink floor guards and management are negligent in enforcing common sense rules of safety and a parent sues claiming negligence that is the rinks problem. Maybe such an accident would open the eyes of local management and we could see some positive steps taken to improve their style of management. Yes the injuries would be sad to see but only impact the adults that should know better and their child. The possible injury to unsuspecting adult and child skaters that could be caused by falling over children crawling on the darkened skate floor chasing the moving lights also is the responsibility of management and floor guards. It is the innocent unsuspecting skaters that I am concerned about! It is managements responsibility to put a stop to all of these dangerous activities.

Dennis Lauer
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #33
Tuesday Girl

Last week I came across a fun You Tube video of a couple doing a rockabilly swing skate to Pink Cadillac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Vyxwhfw34

I studied the video and showed my skate partner on Tuesday night. We learned one of the moves. I watched it several more times and realized they were basically doing two different moves, but it looked like many more because they were doing the moves both left and right.

Last night we went to a different rink for a 9-midnight session, and we got the other move down. So fun! We still need to get comfortable with the mechanics of the turns and stuff, and then we can add the fun dance beat to it.

Not having any skate training, lessons or formality, I've been looking for some new material to work on and add to our fun skate sessions.

I'm worn out today, getting home so late after pie and ice cream at my skate friend's house, but Waitin' for Skatin' on Tuesday night to do more practicing.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #34
Dennis Lauer

Isn't it amazing how a very few simple movements exercised forward, backwards, to the right and left can look so good when put together to music. Hope you have fun adapting these movements. Any chance of taping what you come up with for us to see?

Dennis Lauer
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #35
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

School holiday chaos! At the hockey rink. Was quite well frequented for a change. They must be promoting their school holiday programme. Think there was about 8 paid session skaters and about 40 kids from the holiday programme.

Sounds like hell, but was actually was safer than the average Saturday session, since only a few of the kids were good enough to make a nuisance of themselves.

Everyone on inlines, except for me on quads. Lots of kids gawking at them, and asking me questions, I suspect having never seen them before in their life. Music was the same playlist as Saturday's session.

So, back on my quads. Session #4. Crossovers again were my major focus, and *finally* getting continuous action happening. It's still a mighty ugly thing, but getting that continuous flow happening feels great, allows one to lean forward and start getting thrust and feels better balanced, since the push is of course ones ticket out of trouble on skates.

Did some grapevine practice (not straying too far away from the wall yet). Figured that most of my balance fear on quads, is a fear of the unknown. In particular, the unknown amount that one can lean forward or back before one kisses the floor. So, since grapevine is all heel and toe pivots turns, I figured that it'll teach me where where those critical balance points actually are.

The grapevine's front to back transition (a 3 turn?) is coming along nicely, it's marginally easier than on inlines, due to the shorter wheelbase, but the back to front, which requires a pigeon toe'd both-feet-balance-on-the-toes spin, is not working just yet. Hairy hairy stuff.

Also for kicks, did a bit of Forward Nelson practice (an inline slalom move). Which is possibly a little easier on quads, due to being able to slow it right down without falling over. Easier off cones anyway. I suspect, like most slalom moves, it'd be very hard on quads around 80cm cones though, even soft DA45s, just because you need such tight turns.

Anyway, had a few fleeting moments of feeling like I was skating my skates, rather than my skates skating me. Which is very heartening.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #36
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

Went to the Monday afternoon session today. School holidays here,but we went last week and it was pretty quiet. Not so today. If I ever play derby, at least I'll be experienced in pack skating and evasive techniques.
No floor guard today, which is not uncommon. Drives me NUTS seeing the teens who stop in groups to socialize in a corner, or the tweens who skate against the flow of traffic to get to their friends. Sometimes I get cheeky and skate past really close to the ones going the wrong direction, or scare the group of teens gossiping in the corner by skating faster then making it look like I'm going to slam into them all and take them down like they are bowling pins LOL.
Was good today as a couple of my skating friends turned up. Always more fun when you've got some friends to skate with.
Did a pretty impressive jump over some poor kid who lost control and was cutting across me. If I didn't jump, I would have hit her feet and taken her down. So quick thinking saved her, and I managed to land the jump. Normally I dodge people by turning sideways and doing one foot glides, or more of a skip over people. Don't think I've ever jumped over someone with both feet off the ground at the same time. Was surprised I landed it, actually. Maybe my skills are better than I think.
Quite a few adults on quads today, too. Generally the parents just sit around and watch, and if they do get on the rink, they put inlines on. Quads at rinks in Australia for general sessions is just not that common, epsecially with kids.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #37
Tuesday Girl

Hi Dennis,

Here is a video we did a few months ago in November. It was the end of the night and kind of a crappy song, but I got someone to film us so we'd have something. It's not the best, but it's some stuff we do. We also skate side-by side shadow skating and when we are doing that the cameraman is filming our FEET so you can't see what we are doing! Oh well....it's something. Perhaps when we get the new stuff smoothed out I can talk someone else into filming us.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6066/33l.mp4
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #38
Tuesday Girl

Now that I finally figured out how to post a video, here's another one. Once seeing myself skate behind the sisters, I realized I could do better and have starting stepping higher, etc. The one sister can't turn the right way on the new version of the Mary-Mary, so we are not completely in sync! I am the one in the back.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4244/gch.mp4
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #39
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
Now that I finally figured out how to post a video, here's another one. Once seeing myself skate behind the sisters, I realized I could do better and have starting stepping higher, etc. The one sister can't turn the right way on the new version of the Mary-Mary, so we are not completely in sync! I am the one in the back.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4244/gch.mp4
Dang it, it's not loading for me. *pouts*

P.S. Check your PM's! LOL
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #40
SDRollergirl

Default Hey Skaters

Adult Night was pretty fun last night, although full of problems for me. I guess considering how smoothly it goes most of the time, I was due for some trouble. First off, I asked a buddy of mine to swap out my bearings and put my new wheels on my skates. he brought them and I was so excited to try them out. I went around a few times, getting a feel for them, and then one of the wheels seemed to just stop, it was strange. Well I came around the next turn and the problem revealed itself - one of my frickin wheels came off! It was scary as hell. Amazingly, I didn't fall, I just stopped, SUPER fast. Then I hobbled to the center. I had lost the nut. We looked for it but couldn't find it. Luckily I had my old skates with me so I just put those on.

The rest of the night was great fun, couples skating. Lots of amateurs but we zoomed right through them. Late in the night, three amateurs fell directly in front of us. We tried so valiantly to get around them but no luck. Man I fell hard, right on my elbow. (No I don't wear elbow pads). I didn't get run over though and the floor guard came and got me up. I had a giant goose egg on my arm/elbow, bruised up my hip and knee. Another fun night of skating! Well it just seems like if you haven't fallen recently, you are due to fall soon. So that was mine, I hope I get a break for awhile longer!!