S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Artistic Forum Sticky Posts

Which threads in the SkateLog Artistic Forum would you recommend to be included in a quick-reference list of the most interesting, most useful, most significant, or most popular discussions in that forum? I'll start by nominating two and I will add discussions to this list as you guys recommend them:
Coming Soon - links to:
2009 Artistic World Championships Discussions
2008 Artistic World Championships Discussions
2007 Artistic World Championships Discussions

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; December 27th, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #2
CANative64

What is the point of these nominations?

Is it to weed out what "should not" be a part of this forum? Is it to reduce to total number of threads in the Artistic Category? Or is there some sort of award being given to the "winner" of the nominees?

What was the point of moving the two topics/threads that you nominated into your thread, and removing them from the main artistic category page?

It would appear that since they are moved, people can't go directly to those threads that you have nominated as the two of most important, significant, etc. They'll have to 'find' that they are here inside this thread. No?
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
What is the point of these nominations? Is it to weed out what "should not" be a part of this forum? Is it to reduce to total number of threads in the Artistic Category? Or is there some sort of award being given to the "winner" of the nominees?
The only point is to have one sticky (aka quick-reference) thread in the artistic forum instead of a long list of sticky threads. For example, instead of having 10 sticky threads listed at the top of the artistic forum, we will only have one sticky discussion that lists all of them.

Quote:
what was the point of moving the two topics/threads that you nominated into your thread, and removing them from the main artistic category page? It would appear that since they are moved, people can't go directly to those threads that you have nominated as the two of most important, significant, etc. They'll have to 'find' that they are here inside this thread. No?
Well actually, I didn't move them at all, I am only linking to them in this sticky thread. They are still located in the same place they always have been, and they can still be found the same way they always have been.

I think this sticky thread will be especially helpful to new forum visitors who might not otherwise find some of our most interesting or most useful discussions of the past. Many of our best discussions have become buried over time.

- K
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4
CANative64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
The only point is to have one sticky (aka quick-reference) thread in the artistic forum instead of a long list of sticky threads. For example, instead of having 10 sticky threads listed at the top of the artistic forum, we will only have one sticky thread that lists all of them.
Ah...so what you are trying to do is reduce thee number of sticky threads. Well that makes sense. You did not let us all know that though, hence my asking.

Quote:
Well actually, I didn't move them at all, I am only linking to them in this sticky thread. They are still located in the same place they always have been, and they can still be found the same way they always have been.
Well visually speaking the two topics/threads are no longer present on the main page. That said, any new members who come onto this site will not be able to physically see the two 'most important' threads that actually welcome them [where they introduce themselves and tell us all about their rinks].

You're in charge, and I'm not going to argue the choices that you make as far as how you run things here. Because I'm thankful as heck that you do what you do in the first place. However, I think it's always good to hear from members when they have concerns about how certain changes affect the membership, and new membership.

Peace

canative64
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
visually speaking the two topics/threads are no longer present on the main page
That's true, but I would expect new members to also be quite intrigued by a discussion entitled "Most Important Artistic Skating Discussions".

People keep asking me to make more and more important discussions sticky and this seemed like a good way to honor their requests and at the same time avoid burying our newest discussions under a list of sticky threads. Let's see how this works for a while. We can always reevaluate later.

- K
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6
CANative64

Quote:
That's true, but I would expect new members to also be quite intrigued by a discussion entitled "Most Important Artistic Skating Discussions".

People keep asking me to make more and more important discussions sticky and this seemed like a good way to honor their requests and at the same time avoid burying our newest discussions under a list of sticky threads. Let's see how this works for a while. We can always reevaluate later.

- K

Right on.

I know that I was one of those who asked you in a private message [as well as in the thread that I started] called Artistic Skating Videos to make it a sticky page so that we had one place to go for new videos.

So... I nominate;

Artistic Skating Videos

Peace

canative64
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Since we already have a skating videos thread started by Mom2Skaters I merged yours with that one and I added it to our sticky list. Thanks! I think we have a few video threads around also so I will try to find them and merge them as well.

- Kathie
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Kathie,

How about one on Artistic Club News
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

It was exactly one year since my last post here. Happy New Year to all my skating friends. May 2010 turn out to be a better year for everyone.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Artistic Videos on how to do pairs.

I'm new to this board and very old..LOL! I skated singles, figures and dance in the 70's. I wasn't very good but got to go to regionals, SW Pacific. I think in those days if your pro thought there was some benefit in you going and you weren't going to look to bad competing, you were welcome to go.

Reading all the posts I know the more people who went contributed to the bottom line. I never thought of skating as a business. I think we all know it is.

But my true love was singles and to be quite honest about it, I performed lousy but I loved pairs and in my time I never saw a fours event. I never skated pairs but dreamed about it. It looked amazingly exciting.

I don't know if it would help, but I think there should be some videos on how to do pairs. Although I saw many pairs events and you can see many videos of the skaters, I have no clue on how boys lifted those girls and performed all those crazy tricks. I really think people who do pairs are crazy/dare devils. Not your average skater gets into pairs.

I also think there should be some books on the subject on how to perform those lifts. I just think it would help add interest in the sport.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote