S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Silverado
Silverado

Smile Bearings for the purpose?

It is my opinion that you buy bearings for the purpose. I am an artistic skater that does dance skating like waltzing, two stepping, couple skating. You get the idea. I'm not into speed skating, derby skating so speed is not a big factor as far as bearings go. The bearing that were in my Snyder Imperial's from over fifty years ago worked fine for artistic skating. I had no reason to glide from one end of the rink to the other on one push. Artistic skating is about steps and not much reason to glide over 20-30 ft on one foot. I've just rebuilt my old Snyder Imperials with new bones wheels and Bones reds bearings, new cushions, pivot pins and pivot cups. How ever, I've changed the bearing because I felt that the nylon cages might have been collapsing a bit under my 220 lb weight. They rolled great, but something was going on that I didn't like.
I have installed 627Z bearings with a rating of abec 9 and have a weight capacity of 465 lbs. They are fantastic and only cost $ 18.00. The price is so good that I won't even bother cleaning them, just replace them. From what I've seen Bones doesn't have a abec rating. They are great bearings however. These 627Z, abec 9 bearings roll just as good. One more point. If your an artistic skater and doing any kind of dance steps with a partner. It doesn't really require 200 dollar bearing if the other person doesn't have them also. Or it just might be a matter where your partner isn't as secure as you might be with your gliding. A side note. I had contacted Doc8 and he thought the new pivot pins would work in the old Snyder Imperials that had the flat spots on the threads to adjust them. Yes they will work! The threads are the same, 5/16 - 24. He said he never seen the pivot cups replaced that was a good job and recommended sending them into Snyder. If anyone is interested I can tell them how I changed mine and you can't tell it from the original. Have fun out there!
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #2
rwsz

if it works its fine, better rolling bearings just mean u dont have to push or work as hard. glad u like the less expensive bearings. i like bones swiss myself or the old fafnirs, even old skf japanese bearings. good job on the cups.
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #3
Ancient1

I had the same issue with several of the bearings and could not find anything suitable. Imagine being 300 lbs on those bearings and all of a sudden they just stop.

So where do you get the 627Z bearing? is it all metal? I think that might be the bearing for me...

Can you provide a link please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
It is my opinion that you buy bearings for the purpose. I am an artistic skater that does dance skating like waltzing, two stepping, couple skating. You get the idea. I'm not into speed skating, derby skating so speed is not a big factor as far as bearings go. The bearing that were in my Snyder Imperial's from over fifty years ago worked fine for artistic skating. I had no reason to glide from one end of the rink to the other on one push. Artistic skating is about steps and not much reason to glide over 20-30 ft on one foot. I've just rebuilt my old Snyder Imperials with new bones wheels and Bones reds bearings, new cushions, pivot pins and pivot cups. How ever, I've changed the bearing because I felt that the nylon cages might have been collapsing a bit under my 220 lb weight. They rolled great, but something was going on that I didn't like.
I have installed 627Z bearings with a rating of abec 9 and have a weight capacity of 465 lbs. They are fantastic and only cost $ 18.00. The price is so good that I won't even bother cleaning them, just replace them. From what I've seen Bones doesn't have a abec rating. They are great bearings however. These 627Z, abec 9 bearings roll just as good. One more point. If your an artistic skater and doing any kind of dance steps with a partner. It doesn't really require 200 dollar bearing if the other person doesn't have them also. Or it just might be a matter where your partner isn't as secure as you might be with your gliding. A side note. I had contacted Doc8 and he thought the new pivot pins would work in the old Snyder Imperials that had the flat spots on the threads to adjust them. Yes they will work! The threads are the same, 5/16 - 24. He said he never seen the pivot cups replaced that was a good job and recommended sending them into Snyder. If anyone is interested I can tell them how I changed mine and you can't tell it from the original. Have fun out there!
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #4
Silverado
Silverado

Default Where the heck did you get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I had the same issue with several of the bearings and could not find anything suitable. Imagine being 300 lbs on those bearings and all of a sudden they just stop.

So where do you get the 627Z bearing? is it all metal? I think that might be the bearing for me...

Can you provide a link please...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...108.0.0.LK6jFd

The bearings do have steel cages.
The price I quoted was wrong. They are 8 pcs for 5.70 (carbon steel) 8 pcs for (chrome steel ) 7.32 Almost all bearings are made in Japan, China ect. If a bearing has a abec rating it should meet a spec for that rating. You can get full ceramic abec 11 for around 25 bucks. Or pay a couple hundred by not checking around. Also I don't use sealed bearings. If a person knows anything about bearings, the seal on sealed bearings rides on both the inner and outer races, which is friction. Shielded bearings only have a dust shield that rides against the outer race. That's why it's easy to remove the shield on most zz style bearings. There are some however aren't designed to be removed and need to put a tiny hole in the shield to pop it out. When ordering you will need 2 packs of 8. I ordered 2 whole sets and gave one set to a fellow at the rink. They also have 208 ( 8 mm bearings). Once you add to cart, click on the small box to pick the carbon or chrome steel. Hopes this helps. Have fun in life! Jim in Erie PA.

Last edited by Silverado; June 18th, 2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: More information.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Ancient1

thanks

Tags
bearings