S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #1
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict
 
chunchmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: center of the universe
Posts: 198
Default Lack of indoor rinks in New York City

hey everyone I'm new here I'm a level 6 artistic quad skater looking for a wood floor. I wanted to register to discuss the lack of indoor rinks around here, and possibly find any new ones.

I've been scouring the nyc-metro area for an indoor rink with a good floor but the only one I've found thats indoor is the Empire Rink in Brooklyn which has a floor in need of repair, and barely any space to skate.

I've been to the cement rink at Chelsea Pier, and am not interested in ice skating at all because of the stress it puts on my ankles. Are there any wooden indoor floors in the nyc area accessible by public trans, or is this a pipe dream that I have to give up?
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #2
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunchmeow View Post
hey everyone I'm new here I'm a level 6 artistic quad skater looking for a wood floor. I wanted to register to discuss the lack of indoor rinks around here, and possibly find any new ones.

I've been scouring the nyc-metro area for an indoor rink with a good floor but the only one I've found thats indoor is the Empire Rink in Brooklyn which has a floor in need of repair, and barely any space to skate.

I've been to the cement rink at Chelsea Pier, and am not interested in ice skating at all because of the stress it puts on my ankles. Are there any wooden indoor floors in the nyc area accessible by public trans, or is this a pipe dream that I have to give up?
sorry again but it think you have to go to nj to get a rink,,,i have a friend thats an artistic competitive skater that goes to delanco nj to skate and take lessons.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Lefty
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Default Lack of rinks in NYC

Hi
I live in NYC and there is a rink in Kendall Park NJ.
You can take a bus from Port Authority about 1.5 hrs and it drops you off right in front of the rink.
I think that is your best bet for getting good rink time if you live in the city.
I usually make it down there once a week.
Let me know if you're interested in going and I can give you more detailed directions on how to get there
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #4
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Hi
I live in NYC and there is a rink in Kendall Park NJ.
You can take a bus from Port Authority about 1.5 hrs and it drops you off right in front of the rink.
I think that is your best bet for getting good rink time if you live in the city.
I usually make it down there once a week.
Let me know if you're interested in going and I can give you more detailed directions on how to get there
i recognize this name,,,,hows things going Troy,,,u skating again this year,,, so far Derick isnt. good luck with it if you are

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict
 
chunchmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: center of the universe
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Hi
I live in NYC and there is a rink in Kendall Park NJ.
You can take a bus from Port Authority about 1.5 hrs and it drops you off right in front of the rink.
I think that is your best bet for getting good rink time if you live in the city.
I usually make it down there once a week.
Let me know if you're interested in going and I can give you more detailed directions on how to get there

Wow Kendall Park is kinda far from NYC. Is the bus express? because it looks closer to PA than NJ. I could see myself getting out there once a month especially if the bus drops me off right in front. Any chance you have more info about it? Do you take lessons there?

thanks!
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #6
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunchmeow View Post
Wow Kendall Park is kinda far from NYC. Is the bus express? because it looks closer to PA than NJ. I could see myself getting out there once a month especially if the bus drops me off right in front. Any chance you have more info about it? Do you take lessons there?

thanks!
dont know about the express bus but he does take lessons there and competes out of the rink.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #7
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict
 
chunchmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: center of the universe
Posts: 198
Default

I found BranchBrook Park Skating Rink in Newark NJ which is run by United Skates. There's also a bus from Port Authoritah that'll drop me off on their doorstep, runs on weekends, and is about 4 bucks.

This is kind of my last option because the Roxy is nil and there's nowhere else to go besides ice. If its ice then I need to make sure I don't need fitted boots.
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #8
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunchmeow View Post
I found BranchBrook Park Skating Rink in Newark NJ which is run by United Skates. There's also a bus from Port Authoritah that'll drop me off on their doorstep, runs on weekends, and is about 4 bucks.

This is kind of my last option because the Roxy is nil and there's nowhere else to go besides ice. If its ice then I need to make sure I don't need fitted boots.
sorry to hear no rinks there,,,,also in nj is Kendall Park,,,not sure of the spelling 100%,,,i know one of the skaters from new york city takes a bus there too.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #9
Lefty
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Default

Hi ,

The bus is express to New Brunswick and then it runs local to Kendall Park. It takes about 1.5 hours but is certainly worth it as there are good coaches and skaters. I'm not familiar with the Branchbrook rink, do they have an artistic club?
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #10
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict
 
chunchmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: center of the universe
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Hi ,

The bus is express to New Brunswick and then it runs local to Kendall Park. It takes about 1.5 hours but is certainly worth it as there are good coaches and skaters. I'm not familiar with the Branchbrook rink, do they have an artistic club?
They are part of the UnitedSkates chain and don't have a team there, but they do have generic lessons on saturday mornings followed by a free-skate. What I want to do for now is polish up my basic skills there and then after maybe 6 months see if I want to branch out. If I do then I'll probably be taking the express bus to lessons in Kendall Park.

Is there any online info about their lessons? Pics of the floor? Pics of the teachers/classes? Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks!
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.