S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old October 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Default Adult Skate Nights

Our rink, Roller King, has graciously allowed Thursday Night, their slowest night, to become an Adult Skate Night. Old music and old school rule. Our initial response was to struggle to get eight or nine people. We doubled that number last night. This was all done without advertising and with personal music as the rink had no old music. As the weather cools down I suspect it will gather more and each skate is high energy with smiling adults. A small market is developing for improved skates and associated equipment as the adults have more to spend. We have people coming that had not skated in years, (I mean Years!), and rekindling their love of skating. Albuquerque is small compared to towns many of you come from, but do rinks in your areas have Adult Skates and what sort of things do they do? Are they successful?

Thanx, Phil
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Spins

Motosk8ter,

Sounds like a good time but can they skate?

Our rink has an adult night on a weekend session but unless you know some grown-up skaters it is sort of like any other activity in not knowing enough of them. Hope it works for your rink.

Gary
o-o

Old October 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
skaterdog

We have several successful adult skates in our area.

One rink has a Sunday night adult skate that has steadily grown to the point where it gets packed during the winter nights. The DJ does some themed nights like 80's or 70's night for example. They also have a Wed morning adult skate that is well attended. The adults tend to be very loyal and hate to miss a session but it does take a while to build up these sessions so the first year or so may be recruiting and talking it up.

Another rink in the area that has been open just over a year also offers 2 adult skates.

http://www.rollerskate.com/rollarena/rollarena.html

www.sonicskate.com
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4
badnews

Most of the rinks around here have a "Don't Trust Anyone Younger Than 20" night.

Frank Sinatra Rocks!!!
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #5
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

The closest our rink has to an adult session is old school night on Sunday night. The adults out number the kids and the speed on the floor is a bit higher.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #6
mentally dull

am i the only one who had a completely different mental image when reading the Thread Title?
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Nope
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
badnews

Pervs.
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM   #9
rokdaddy
Runs with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
A small market is developing for improved skates and associated equipment as the adults have more to spend.
Speaking of improved skates, don't you think that it's about time to up grade yours? You are a solid skater, you really need some big kid skates. The performance improvement will make your bearing/wheel swap seem insignificant...

Do you think that your friend will make it to another Thursday session? It looked like he was having fun.
rokdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:46 AM   #10
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Thanx for all the great info and ideas . I want this to work as it is one of the best indoor skates I have ever had!

I reread the thread title . Never thought of it that way and I have been wondering about some of the folks who come in . As long as they can skate they are welcome . No worse than some of the teens I have seen .

Rok, I called Mark today and he will call back. We know a couple who may come as well. He had a great time and if he decides to do it it he will be one of the best skaters in a short time based on the fact he is one of the fastest motorcyclists I have ever seen. He embraces competition.

FY2007 for Phil is to move to 4X100 inlines such as the Bont's although that is not in stone. I need to get the distance program rolling as I am getting older faster than I can skate. FY2008 may hold new quads for me . Then again the quads are fun and time will tell.

Someone asked if folks can "skate" during this session. It surprised me to see how many "hardcore from before" are in town. Generally it is a mixed session with "Frankensteins" rolling around mixed in with some very good speed and artistic types. We have been left alone to develop our own format so that gives us a lot of freedom. I need to talk with some of the "rinkrats of ole" and see what fromat we might put in. Good music sure keeps the kids away Phil
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #11
rachelannfournier

My rink doesn't have adult nights. I heard they used to, but not enough people showed up. We do have family skate on Sunday nights where the children are pretty well behaved and it's not real crowded. But most of the adults show up Saturday night, which means you also have to deal with teenagers and people who can't skate.
rachelannfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #12
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict

Lots of adult nights around the NJ area. One of which has Organ night on Wed nights and lots of older retired folks (about 60+) do dance skating in their skating outfits. Plus the Organ guy plays all sorts of songs from Pink Floyd to any crooner.
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote