S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 6th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Monkeybeaver

Default Nordic or not

Started ice skating about a year ago with my 7 year old & both got some second hand inline hockey skates thinking we could get some practise off ice on them. Didnít really get round to practicing much on the in lines for a while & when I did found then very different to ice skates & didnít really like them, felt very restricted, they seemed to just want to go in a straight line & pivoting from forwards to backwards was really odd. Bought some new wheels (the ones they had on when I got them were really worn) & decided to try a rockered set up to see if it would feel more like ice skating. Happy to say they now feel a bit closer to ice & I feel less restricted when I skate them, which so far has been mainly to help with my (now) 8 year olds off ice training for hockey.
Started trying to use skates instead of my bike when I need to make local trips, the pavement in my area is really chewed up & uneven & Iím finding the hockey inlines wheels too small to cope with them.
Started looking at the 110 & 125 triskates from Powerslide thinking that I would help, then discovered the Nordic style skates with the pneumatic tyres.
Really like the look of this style of skate, looks like it would roll over all the terrible pavement in my area & also manage on the even worse stuff once I get out of town. I also used to run, but have stopped due to an achilles injury last year, this has made me think about if running was really doing me any good, I had to have an ice bath after anything over 10 miles otherwise my knees would be stiff the next day. I like the idea of these Nordic skates taking over from running as a way to keep fit, as well as a way to get around instead of a bike.
Does anyone have any experience with both the fixed boot style of the Powerslide & the use you own shoe style of the Skike. What are the advantages of each style? Are they skate able without poles? Planning on using the poles for workout sessions but would like it to be possible to skate without if Iím using them as transportation skates. Any opinions on the braking system on the different skates & the anti reverse hubs on the Skikes?

Sorry for the long post but I canít go see & try the different options so would like to hear others opinions before I make a decision
Monkeybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:56 PM   #2
DarrenVS

Interesting post. I skate quads and find a lot of places too rough and have looked at some of the larger wheeled inlines. My biggest issue is arthritis in my left foot, and a lot of skates are too narrow and give me pain very quickly. My quads are Bauer ice hockey skates converted to quads. They are quite a wide fit so I can skat between 10 and 20 miles with no foot pain. It just gets boring skating the same stretch of beach front. We have 12 miles but only about 5 miles is skatable on quads.
Would love a pair of Quadline skates to see if that would help ( 100mm inline wheels on quad axles)
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Monkeybeaver

After a lot of research, which involved a lot of google translate use as most of the information out there is in German, I finally decided on the Skikes. They arrived yesterday but I haven't been able to take them out properly yet as I still have a cast on my wrist (our dog got under my feet & tripped me over, in trying to avoid flattening him I landed badly & fractured it) & the grief I would get from the wife is not worth it since the cast comes off on monday.
I decided on these because the braking system is supposed to be better, its standard on both skates on the Skikes, whereas the Powerslides only come with one brake & most of the people who had used both said the Powerslide brake was harder to modulate. I also thought they would be easier to use as transportation skates as I will be wearing shoes so no need to remember to bring them, looks like I could even lock them to a bicycle rack if I wanted too, instead of having to carry them around. I did consider the possibility of buying some more conventional frames for the Powerslides (125mm Megacruiser set) to swap the boots between but decided that wouldn't be very convenient because of the brake attached to the cuff. Another reason for the Skikes was that I thought the Powerslides might feel a bit too similar to my regular skates (because of the boot) & that it would make switching back & forth more difficult.
So far I have only assembled & adjusted them and had a bit of a test in the house. First impressions are that they will definitely cope with the rough surfaces around me, they are certainly no speed machines though. One thing I have noticed already is that the calf brake cuff does not really help all that much with stability, obviously it won't let the ankle move too far but the movement that it allows still feels odd to me at the moment. I think this could be a bit of a hidden benefit though as it may help to inadvertently strengthen my ankle, which an only be a good thing for the rest of my skating.
I did order some poles too but will try them without first.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:19 AM   #4
DarrenVS

I think a fat 51 year old guy like me might look a bit odd skiing along the seafront on those. I get enough strange looks when on conventional skates
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Monkeybeaver

Iím 44 & get funny looks when Iím out on my conventional skates too. Never seen anyone else in my area on any sort of skate, other than my kids.
Iím more concerned about poking people with the end of the poles
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Monkeybeaver

After getting the Skikes a few weeks ago I had forgotten that Iíd set an alert on eBay for Powerslide Nordic. Long story short I now have a pair of new XC Trail 2 skates as well (really cheap starting bid & I was the only bidder).

So today I got the chance to skate them both for the first time & have mixed feelings about both of them.

The brakes on the Skikes are very easy to use & I got used to them fairly quickly, wont want to do anything too steep just yet but they work well, have plenty of stopping power & feel like they are easy to control. The brake on the powerslides however as not so easy to use & since thereís only 1 doesnít feel as it will stop as well. The poweslide brake is also harder to control as itís mounted on the cuff. With the Skikes being mounted higher up on the calf the longer leaver works to both provide more power but also more control over the braking force.
I felt more comfortable on the Powerslides as I felt I had more control over the ďedgesĒ. With the Skikes being strapped to your shoes with Velcro they feel like really poorly fitting skates. I had a few instances were the surface bumps tried to twist the skate over onto an outside edge, in the Powerslides this was not a problem, just a minor almost subconscious correction, but the loose fit of the Skikes meant that I was fighting to keep the skates level & my inputs had to be more exaggerated & I had to concentrate a little harder.
The Skikes also feel like a better made, sturdier product. The frame & wheels on the Powerslide look a little weak in comparison.
If I had to choose to keep only 1 after this first session then the Skikes would be going back, the Powerslides are just easier & therefore more enjoyable, to skate. I live in a very flat area so braking system is something I can live with.
Ideally I would like a boot permanently screwed to the Skikes, that would be the best of both worlds, but I think the top plate on them is plastic so Iím not sure how that would work.
Iím gong to continue to skate them both for now, if I can get rid of the slop on the Skikes they would be the favourites.
Old June 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Monkeybeaver

Just having no a look at the possibility of mounting the powerslide boot on the Skike frame & noticed a few things that are worth mentioning

Firstly the tools that come with the Powerslides are , as is probably a expected with bundled tools, not up to the job, the supplied Allen key for the mounting bolts is pretty much useless for removing the boots. The boot that does not have a brake fitted has the hole location already marked on the cuff so another brake could be easily fitted. The frame also still has a hole in the right place to allow the mounting of the cuff brake that used to be supplied on the older Nordic skates from Powerslide.
From first impressions yesterday Iíd say a calf brake is preferable to a cuff mounted brake. The cuff brake suffers from the stiffness in the movement of the cuff (this may get looser in time, I couldnít say as these are my first pair of skates with a cuff, my in lines are hockey skates) so small adjustments are harder because the cuff does not return the brake away from the tyre as easily as the more freely moving calf brake.
In an ideal world Iíd like to get another cuff brake & a pair of Powerslide calf brakes to test (a problem that came up in my research with the old style calf brake from Powerslide was the rubber brake pad, most didnít like it & felt the metal pad in the newer skates was better) but Iíve already spent too much on this so I guess Ill never know.
Going to skate them both for a bit & dig my tools out to investigate the possibility of bolting the Powerslide boots to the Skike frame
Old June 21st, 2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Monkeybeaver

Well the boots wonít fit because the cuff is too high & interferes with the calf brake. The plate on the Skike frame is plastic but is well reinforced with square ribs which in turn all have cross ribs. The boots mounting holes will fit in the areas between the cross ribs, so I think with a large square washer to spread the load over the square it would be possible to mount a boot.Skike also do an extension kit for the calf brake, pretty sure that would allow the boot to fit properly, but again more money to spend.
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #9
Monkeybeaver

Been out on them both now a few times & my feelings haven't really changed.
I've had to adjust both pairs in order to get a centre edge, which I find very odd as in both my ice & inline hockey skates I do not have a problem with that at all (thankfully as there is no way to adjust them).
I'm getting used to the Powerslides braking system, the cuff is still very stiff & I have to push forward on the cuff to kind of reset the brake after using it. After using them for a while I don't think another cuff brake would be usable at the same time, the motion to operate both is in the manual but it means sitting back over the rear of the skates & at this point in time I know that would not end well for me. The only advantage would be that you could alternate which foot does the braking. The Skike brakes are still easier to use but because of the relative flatness of my local area I really don't need the stopping power, starting to use the same 1 foot braking style that the Powerslides need in the Skikes.
I still feel much more unstable on the Skikes, although its getting better. The Powerslides are still a much more enjoyable skate pure because of the support the boot give. I am regretting selling my old ice skates now as I think that mounting the boots to the Skikes (without the tendon guard) would have solved most of the issues. So far I have skated them both 4 times each, every time I've been out in the Skikes I've had a fall, I've yet to have a fall in the Powerslides. All the falls I've had have been due to the terrain shifting the balance of the skates & me not being able to correct it in time, I'm sure this is due to the lack of ankle support they give. It may be better in higher boots but I don't have anything that will fit so have been skating them in running shoes. I also have very thin ankles & high insertion calfs so the calf strap doesn't really go around my calf & is a little on the big side, that might also have an impact on the stability.
I'm going to continue to skate both, for different reasons. I do find the Powerslides more fun, mainly because they are easier for me to control at the moment. I will probably use these for longer skates.
I can feel the extra effort the Skikes require to stabilise them & as I said before that can only be a good thing for the rest of my skating.
I have used the poles almost from day 1. In the first 7 times I managed to get out I have snapped 2 pole tips by getting the end caught in a crack or manhole cover. That level of tip replacement is not sustainable so I have fitted some rubber feet instead of the carbide tips, skated them yesterday & they seemed to slip a lot. I think I may have mounted them backwards however, on a bit off a steep learning curve here, no instructions with the tips & not much information out there in English. I have turned them round today, see how that goes on tomorrows skate. I have also ordered, from a different shop, some more new tips & a rubber foot that is designed to push fit over the carbide tip. From the pictures online it looks like the tip just protrudes so hopefully I'll still get the grip the carbide tip provides but the rubber will limit how far into ay crack it will go & stop it snapping & ion I decide to go a bit off road I can just slip off the rubber instead of having to do a complete re-glueing of tips.
The plan of using these as transport skates is a bit of a non starter. The rolling resistance is quite high & so the effort required to keep moving is also quite high, even on relatively smooth tarmac skating them without the poles is an amazing leg workout. Thats good in a piece of exercise equipment, not so much for transportation. There are 150mm PU wheels available for both (think the Skikes are actually 145mm), I'm sure they would be a much better option if I were to start using them as transportation skates.
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:46 PM   #10
rhyfelwr

I was in a similar position and it's a shame I wasn't part of this community until recently so this advice may now be a bit moot.

I bought a pair of Powerslide Imperial SUV (3 x 125 pneumatic warrior 2 tyres) back in March and have been using them fairly regularly.

Interestingly, I also came from an ice skating background - lightweight Eastex hockey skates. When I first tried these Powerslide skates, I too found that there was virtually no manoeuvrability and that they just wanted to go in a straight line. I too changed the centreline more toward the outside as they felt like they wanted to slide outwards which felt alien after ice skating for so long.

However, after inline skating on the Powerslides for a while now, I've found that my style has changed and that inline skating requires a slightly different swinging action. As that style has developed, I've moved the frame line back towards where it started because I WANT the skate to move outward in an attempt to get the double push. As your lifted foot comes down, you want to use the outside edge and push to the inside of your body (first push). As that stride curves outward, this gives you the main stride push (the second push). It just feels very weird vs. ice.

I must say that the SUV are great for fitness. I can get a good 180 BPM heartrate for about an hour, have worked just as hard (if not harder) than running and no impact whatsoever.

One thing to bear in mind though. Coming from ice - the SUVs are painfully slow. I can get a pretty good speed on ice and hockey stops keep me safe. On the Powerslide SUVs, I can get up about 1/3 of the same speed if really trying but stopping effectively can only be done with a drag stop. You can't really do lunge stops, powerslides or parallel stops.... not that you'd need them!

Hope this helps.
rhyfelwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 01:36 PM   #11
jcardin

Default SUV skates

Has anyone here seen James Mackey city skaters YouTube reviews and test vids on the imperials and tundras?

He does pretty well on them but clearly inline and other skating types are his main thing.

It does appear possible to do some sorts of powerslides and other techniques but I'm guessing on mostly flat ground and with assistance of max tire pressure.
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #12
Monkeybeaver

Hi rhyfelwr. Mine are a bit different to the imperial SUVís, those look more like regular inline with massive wheels, mine have less in common with inline skates & have more in common with roller skis. The centre of gravity is a lot lower as the wheels are in front & behind the foot and the base of the foot is at or slightly lower than the centre of the wheels. They are also very long compared to other skates. They are almost impossible to manoeuvre because of the wheelbase, any turns need to be step turns, no edging, if I put one over onto an edge it pretty much stays in a straight line.

Mine are still very slow too though, but I use poles like cross country skiiing, so itís a great workout, with a lot in common with skating technique, but thereís no way to incorporate double push (not that I can do an effective double push at the moment) with the poles, theyíve completely replaced running. I always use a heart rate monitor when I workout, Nordic skating I feel like Iím not working as hard but the heart rate monitor actually shows Iím working harder on average and according to the calorie burn calculation the watch does Iím burning around 25% more calories per hour. The hunger I get afterwards makes me believe that it might be right. I donít mind the lack of speed, its just a different experience.

As far as stopping is concerned I canít imagine trying any sort of slide stop on skates with pneumatic tyres on roads or pavement, I think the grip would just be too much. Iím sure Iíve seen YouTube videos of people hockey stopping them on dirt & gravel but not on a solid surface. The ski style skate that I have all have some sort of brake, so stopping is relatively straightforward and wonít wear the tryres down excessively.

I have only skated the Skikes since my last post, no more falls & Iím getting a lot more used to them. The brakes are just so much better, I can stop quite quickly & have managed to lock up both wheels before but they are so controllable itís easy to stop the slide. Iím going to skate them exclusively for a while, just because I think they are built a bit better, the brakes are much better & I want the extra ankle strength that the Skikes are giving me.
The new push over rubber pads for the poles are great, they touch down before the point & absorb a bit of the shock & the spike then gives great grip for a powerful push. They restrict how far the spike can slip into cracks, itís already saved me another broken tip.
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
Has anyone here seen James Mackey city skaters YouTube reviews and test vids on the imperials and tundras?

He does pretty well on them but clearly inline and other skating types are his main thing.

It does appear possible to do some sorts of powerslides and other techniques but I'm guessing on mostly flat ground and with assistance of max tire pressure.
I did see that but, as you say, it's probably only possible at max pressure (6 BAR, NOT the 7 BAR recommended - I've had 2 blowouts at 7BAR). I think you also need a bit of surface dust or fine grit so they slide. Virtually impossible on asphalt.
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #14
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybeaver View Post
Hi rhyfelwr. Mine are a bit different to the imperial SUVís, those look more like regular inline with massive wheels, mine have less in common with inline skates & have more in common with roller skis. The centre of gravity is a lot lower as the wheels are in front & behind the foot and the base of the foot is at or slightly lower than the centre of the wheels. They are also very long compared to other skates. They are almost impossible to manoeuvre because of the wheelbase, any turns need to be step turns, no edging, if I put one over onto an edge it pretty much stays in a straight line.

Mine are still very slow too though, but I use poles like cross country skiiing, so itís a great workout, with a lot in common with skating technique, but thereís no way to incorporate double push (not that I can do an effective double push at the moment) with the poles, theyíve completely replaced running. I always use a heart rate monitor when I workout, Nordic skating I feel like Iím not working as hard but the heart rate monitor actually shows Iím working harder on average and according to the calorie burn calculation the watch does Iím burning around 25% more calories per hour. The hunger I get afterwards makes me believe that it might be right. I donít mind the lack of speed, its just a different experience.

As far as stopping is concerned I canít imagine trying any sort of slide stop on skates with pneumatic tyres on roads or pavement, I think the grip would just be too much. Iím sure Iíve seen YouTube videos of people hockey stopping them on dirt & gravel but not on a solid surface. The ski style skate that I have all have some sort of brake, so stopping is relatively straightforward and wonít wear the tryres down excessively.

I have only skated the Skikes since my last post, no more falls & Iím getting a lot more used to them. The brakes are just so much better, I can stop quite quickly & have managed to lock up both wheels before but they are so controllable itís easy to stop the slide. Iím going to skate them exclusively for a while, just because I think they are built a bit better, the brakes are much better & I want the extra ankle strength that the Skikes are giving me.
The new push over rubber pads for the poles are great, they touch down before the point & absorb a bit of the shock & the spike then gives great grip for a powerful push. They restrict how far the spike can slip into cracks, itís already saved me another broken tip.
I know the skates you mean and I did look at the Powerslide Gravedigger version but opted for a more conventional experience - if you can call it conventional! I can also see the way the brakes work so that would make life a lot easier!

My fitbit rekons I'm burning calories at 16 per minute as apposed to 5.5 per minute just normal walking around so skating is definitely a great workout. I started with some poles but found they were too restrictive so ditched them.

Double push on rolling skis? Nah....
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:23 PM   #15
Monkeybeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyfelwr View Post
I know the skates you mean and I did look at the Powerslide Gravedigger version but opted for a more conventional experience - if you can call it conventional! I can also see the way the brakes work so that would make life a lot easier!

My fitbit rekons I'm burning calories at 16 per minute as apposed to 5.5 per minute just normal walking around so skating is definitely a great workout. I started with some poles but found they were too restrictive so ditched them.

Double push on rolling skis? Nah....
The powerslide nordic brakes are OK, just inferior to the Skike set up. Not tried mine on any real off road surfaces yet but I think your SUVs would probably do better than my skates. They have quite a low ground clearance, thereís one path near me that is very broken up by tree roots that Iíve bottomed out on a couple of times now. Maybe the extra size of the wheels on the gravediggers would help but I think the SUVs are probably best for true off roading.
Maybe at some point Iíll buy some SUV frames my powerslides to try it out. Not sure if that will ever happen though, need to be quick as they are the pre Trinity boots.
I like having the poles, itís a whole new skill set to learn & also turns it in to a full body workout. Iíd like to see the difference between skating the SUVs and the Nordic style skates without poles, the experience of skating the nordics without poles is very different to anything else Iíve used, I wonder how close the SUVs would feel in comparison.
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:41 PM   #16
rhyfelwr

Powerslide do the SUV skates in the Trinity mount. The Kazes I think although they are 150 tyres which is just a ridiculous height to be skating at... mind you, as they're trinity, they might be closer to my Imperial height than I think....
Old July 12th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #17
Monkeybeaver

Quote:
Powerslide do the SUV skates in the Trinity mount. The Kazes I think although they are 150 tyres which is just a ridiculous height to be skating at... mind you, as they're trinity, they might be closer to my Imperial height than I think....
Think I may already be too late for new frames. My boots are not Trinity, they were an eBay bargain so old stock & have the older 165mm mounting points. The only place I can find the frames just has the Trinity ones.
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #18
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybeaver View Post
Think I may already be too late for new frames. My boots are not Trinity, they were an eBay bargain so old stock & have the older 165mm mounting points. The only place I can find the frames just has the Trinity ones.
Powerslide 165 standard SUV mount:

https://www.skatebritain.net/powersl...mm-28012-p.asp

They come as standard with the Metropolis and Imperial SUV skates.

Pretty expensive though :O

Skate Britain are pretty cheap but customer service is a bit dodgy - you can also try loco skates down south who seem to be a bit more customer focussed. I also know a guy at Powerslide if you're struggling.
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #19
Monkeybeaver

Quote:
Powerslide 165 standard SUV mount:

https://www.skatebritain.net/powersl...mm-28012-p.asp

They come as standard with the Metropolis and Imperial SUV skates.

Pretty expensive though :O

Skate Britain are pretty cheap but customer service is a bit dodgy - you can also try loco skates down south who seem to be a bit more customer focussed. I also know a guy at Powerslide if you're struggling.
At that price I think Iíd rather pay the extra few pounds to get the complete skate & save the hassle of changing the frames.
Thatís something I might consider in the future though, Hockey season is about to start & small boys grow out of their kit too quickly.

Tags
cross skate, nordic, skike