S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 31st, 2019, 12:30 PM   #1
NibblesMcGiblet

Question locking nuts? i change my wheels weekly. did not know about "locknuts". info??

Hi all. I'm still learning, and don't mind looking uninformed because in all honesty, I am. I heard today that the nut on my wheels is a "lock nut" and was informed that I cannot remove my wheels as often as I do. Apparently every time I switch my wheels, the nut is wearing down? And it will not keep my wheels on much longer?

I don't know what to make of this 'information'. I thought a nut got screwed on and it stayed there and that was that. Yes, I am an old married lady who lets my husband take care of this kind of thing most of the time, but not with my skates or my computers. Those are my realm, and you all are who I trust the most to ask. And he doesn't skate. (He actually took off the wheels of my brand new skates, rubbed thick grease onto all the axels, put the wheels back on, and tightened them down as hard as he could crank them with his ratchet. He said that moving parts "obviously" need grease, and that "obviously" the tighter the better "so they won't fall off". Thankfully he did those things to my old budget skates some years ago, and I do not use them anymore - they wouldn't roll and we coudln't figure out why. Glad they were just $50 garbage Chicago Skates/toys. Yes, I feel very stupid now, but that was before I would have ever thought to use the internet to search for such things. I say "a few years ago" but time flies when you're having... well, hot flashes. )

How often can I change my wheels before I have to put new nuts on? Why don't wheels just come with nuts then?

I switch my wheels sometimes even twice a night at the rink and had no idea about this. I would like to know what I ought to be doing or not doing, and how often I can reuse the same nuts like this, and where to buy new ones - I would assume they're cheap at least, if I am going to be putting new ones on every day/week/month/???. Thank you!
NibblesMcGiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:02 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Nuts with a nylon insert on one end are locknuts, the nylon grabs the bolt and locks in place.
This image shows the nyloc nut, not one for skates.

ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:08 PM   #3
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Nuts with a nylon insert on one end are locknuts, the nylon grabs the bolt and locks in place.
This image shows the nyloc nut, not one for skates.

Thanks very much for the speedy reply.

I've also been given this link by someone elsewhere, and it's been pretty informative.

http://blog.mutualscrew.com/2015/07/...ic-nyloc-nuts/

Do you have any advice regarding how often I might want to put new ones on? I'm not sure if it's along the lines of 30 adjustments vs 300, just looking for a ballpark figure. I'll just buy bulk and be prepared when I buy some, probably, depending on the answer. Thank you again!
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:40 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NibblesMcGiblet View Post

I've also been given this link by someone elsewhere, and it's been pretty informative.

Do you have any advice regarding how often I might want to put new ones on? I'm not sure if it's along the lines of 30 adjustments vs 300, just looking for a ballpark figure. I'll just buy bulk and be prepared when I buy some, probably, depending on the answer. Thank you again!

I'd buy a set of Titanium nyloc nuts and use 'em forever, err' that's what I do, just differentiate between metric and sae threaded nuts in 7-8mm, if they seemed worn out, I'd apply blue loctite.

Or,

There are pure nylon nuts available also.

https://www.medusaskates.com/mota-axle-nuts-p/c56.htm
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 08:15 PM   #5
leshomes

Default Adventurous

If you like changing wheels often and donít like lock nuts get one of the skate builders to replace your axles with Clips/flips.
Old December 31st, 2019, 09:00 PM   #6
fierocious1

I use flip axles. Wheel changes are quick and easy.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 09:05 PM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:

http://blog.mutualscrew.com/2015/07/...ic-nyloc-nuts/

If the nuts can be turned with your fingers when "set" correctly, it is time to change them. The "set" position varies from skater to skater. Some "feel" the setting and some adjust by turns out from "snug". I always set my wheel nuts but turning down snug, not tight, reversing to loosen, exactly 1/2 turn. No bearing or race binding and the roller bearings run in the bottom of the races. Once this is set, if you feel the nut is not resisting enough or you can move it with your fingers, the nuts are used up.
Old January 1st, 2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
If you like changing wheels often and don’t like lock nuts get one of the skate builders to replace your axles with Clips/flips.
Damn, he right tho....

For people that are super fickle on wheel selections in a night, it's a great option to explore.

One can get more uses out of them by cleaning the axle thread and the nuts as lubricants will greatly reduce holding power. Then you can also boil/melt the nylock to deform it enough where it will hold again. But it wont net you too many more uses.. maybe 5 more changes before it's just too far gone.

Why change wheels so much? I could see going indoors and outdoors constituting wheel changes, but not so much a indoor only skate.

Also, really high quality wheels will have much more dependable performance, so changing is virtually eliminated.

Then theres spacers, a properly fitting spacer can allow a nut to become a jam nut. Not really practical, but it's possible. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:25 PM   #9
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I'd buy a set of Titanium nyloc nuts and use 'em forever, err' that's what I do, just differentiate between metric and sae threaded nuts in 7-8mm, if they seemed worn out, I'd apply blue loctite.

Or,

There are pure nylon nuts available also.

https://www.medusaskates.com/mota-axle-nuts-p/c56.htm
Hey, thanks! Those are spiffy looking! Was also going to ask which color loctite would be best for this purpose so that I can get them back off again easily. Much appreciated!
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:26 PM   #10
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
If you like changing wheels often and donít like lock nuts get one of the skate builders to replace your axles with Clips/flips.
I'm not familiar with this concept just yet, but I will look into it. I don't mind working on my skates at all, I just want to be safe and responsible while doing it is all. Cost effective is also a plus. thanks!
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:29 PM   #11
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I use flip axles. Wheel changes are quick and easy.
Another vote for the flip axles I see. I trust and respect this group, and will most certainly investigate this prospect. I don't anticipate always switching them so much, but right now I dont have enough pairs of skates to allow me to play around how I like without doing it this way.

I am just a kid at heart. I change the wheels because the different feeling is fun. When my rink is pretty empty, I like to put the 87As on and go fast, and they let me stick on corners and pick up speed instead of slide and lose it.

When the rink is busy, I like to put the 98As on and go slower and practice my footwork, and controlling the little bit of slide they give.

I have a lot to learn and a lot I want to practice though, and only one pair of skates that feels like my own feet, so the wheels get switched a lot for now.
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:31 PM   #12
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
If the nuts can be turned with your fingers when "set" correctly, it is time to change them. The "set" position varies from skater to skater. Some "feel" the setting and some adjust by turns out from "snug". I always set my wheel nuts but turning down snug, not tight, reversing to loosen, exactly 1/2 turn. No bearing or race binding and the roller bearings run in the bottom of the races. Once this is set, if you feel the nut is not resisting enough or you can move it with your fingers, the nuts are used up.
ok, this helps quite a lot. Right now I can finger tighten them to a point, but then I have to use a tool to tighten them another turn and a half or so to get them to just-snug. Then I back them off about 1/2 turn. Usually that is perfect.
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:36 PM   #13
NibblesMcGiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

Why change wheels so much? I could see going indoors and outdoors constituting wheel changes, but not so much a indoor only skate.
I pretty well descibed it a second ago actually, so I guess when you come back to this thread you will see my reply.

Basically, I have derby skates with wide 87As on them that are great when I want to go fast since they grip really well. But I am not that great at skating in low ankle/no heel boots yet so I prefer to just put those wheels on my "regular" skates when I want to go fast. But sometimes my rink gets too crowded for me to be able to do that safely. Those times, I prefer to switch them back out for my skinny Rollerbones 98As and just play around with footwork. But I never know what kind of crowd theres going to be, and I go to the rink at least 3 nights a week, so they get changed pretty often right now. When summer comes again I'll just have my outdoor wheels on there for several months straight again.

Quote:
Also, really high quality wheels will have much more dependable performance, so changing is virtually eliminated.
I'm not entirely sure how to understand this statement. If I'm going from 87A 38mm wide derby wheels to 98A 30mm wide dance wheels, what high quality wheel can I buy that will serve both purposes? surely there's no width-morphing wheel that understands when iw ant to do crossovers, and gets out of the way from clonking into one another? lol
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:58 PM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:
ok, this helps quite a lot. Right now I can finger tighten them to a point, but then I have to use a tool to tighten them another turn and a half or so to get them to just-snug. Then I back them off about 1/2 turn. Usually that is perfect.
Perfect.
The reason I went on to flips is because I used to skate lots of different rinks and every floor is different. So I changed wheels to get the performance I seek from wheels to grip and roll good. Usually I carry 3 sets of wheels to accomadate slippery, medium and grippy floors. These days I I carry Shaman speed wheels in green red and white. Still looking for a suface that the reds grip good but I think they are better as a roll and slide wheel.
Also I have an almost identical pair of skates for outdoor skating
Old January 1st, 2020, 04:57 PM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
How often can I change my wheels before I have to put new nuts on?
Don't overthink it.

When the nut gets sloppy enough that you can take them off and put them on with your fingers, probably a good time to replace them. Another indicator is if the wheels on the right side of your skates keep tightening up on their own, time for new ones.

It totally varies, as the number of times you change and the particular fit of the nut to the axle threads will make that a moving target.

Just be diligent with your maintenance. The same thing that makes the right side tighten up will make the left side loosen, and you don't want to lose a wheel.

Quote:
Why don't wheels just come with nuts then?
Because some people put wheels on their skates one time and that's it while some others like to experiment.

Flip axles are a suitable replacement if you change a lot, but they do come with some baggage.
Old January 1st, 2020, 09:45 PM   #16
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure how to understand this statement. If I'm going from 87A 38mm wide derby wheels to 98A 30mm wide dance wheels, what high quality wheel can I buy that will serve both purposes? surely there's no width-morphing wheel that understands when iw ant to do crossovers, and gets out of the way from clonking into one another? lol
Probably a hardness in between, and maybe a 36 to 38 mm wide wheel may fit your needs well

Some wheels are expensive, and arent worth the money. Like VNLA(vanilla) wheels.

Clipping wheels is a byproduct of going from one width to another.
Changes like 38 to 44mm are a way to cause that. Even with a very experienced skater a width change on 30 to 38 can cause clipping. You're taking away double the width change in clearance when switching to the wider wheels.

There are nights at the rink I skate at where I'd want more grip to be able to hold the floor and skate faster than my friends who are chasing me, but it doesnt feel like it is worth the time to carry extra gear and take the time to change them when I could be skating.

Not sure what you're skating on currently but Rollerbones turbos are a nice wheel you may want to look into and they come in various hardnesses.