S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old September 8th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Sk8erBoi
Skater 4 Life

Question Flushing, Michigan Trails???

Any good trails for recreational skating near Flushing?...i'm desperate!
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erBoi View Post
Any good trails for recreational skating near Flushing?...i'm desperate!
found these just punching google....not my area though GL!!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/find-run/uni...es/mi/flushing
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #3
AlexV

I've been skating in and around the Flushing/Flint township/city of Flint area for 15 years. There are not a lot of good choices, but I may be able to help. First, are you looking for a scenic, relaxing skate at an easy pace, or a faster, fitness type of route? And how far are you willing to drive to get there?

AlexV
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Sk8erBoi
Skater 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
I've been skating in and around the Flushing/Flint township/city of Flint area for 15 years. There are not a lot of good choices, but I may be able to help. First, are you looking for a scenic, relaxing skate at an easy pace, or a faster, fitness type of route? And how far are you willing to drive to get there?

AlexV
Well i just heard about a trail that they're gonna open up next october in flint...they're taking an old railroad and making it into a nice new trail. But i was looking for a more of a fitness type of skating.
I'm only willing to drive maybe 20 minutes tho :/
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Most of Us Will Drive 40-60

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erBoi View Post
Well i just heard about a trail that they're gonna open up next october in flint...they're taking an old railroad and making it into a nice new trail. But i was looking for a more of a fitness type of skating.
I'm only willing to drive maybe 20 minutes tho :/
Most of us hardened skaters will drive 40 to 60 minutes to skate for a couple of hours. SO are you telling me Michigan Skaters are lazy??

BTW, I still have on my agenda to write a review on RinkTime for a nice rink place over a lake off I-94 before Kalamazoo (On the Goggle Map I think it is in Portage) Two very nice ladies owned the place, yet I never saw a Rubber Carpet before this place.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Edit-01: Had to Fix the Title, Geez going too fast

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 8th, 2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Title Correction
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Sk8erBoi
Skater 4 Life

[QUOTE=MANY_SkatingDave;428291]Well

Most of us hardened skaters will drive 40 to 60 minutes to skate for a couple of hours. SO are you telling me Michigan Skaters are lazy??

Lol...pretty much!...but i don't have my license yet, so i would have to have somebody drive me around.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #7
AlexV

Default Sorry for the late reply......

The nearest place to Flushing for a good fitness skate (or a speed workout - this is where I do most of my training) to my knowledge is the 'new' Western Hills subdivision, which is south-east of the Elms Rd./Beecher Rd. intersection. Enter from Beecher Rd. There is an 2.05 mile outer loop, with about a dozen corners and a few good hills, and a few smaller inner loops for variety. The pavement is smooth & clean; the sight lines are good (you can see - and be seen - around the corners); many of the neighborhood residents walk/jog/bike/skate the same streets (there are no sidewalks), so drivers are used to seeing people in the streets and are courteous (I've never been honked at or dive-bombed...). There are even several cul de sacs for practicing your crossovers. The streets dry quickly after rain due to the elevation, good drainage, lack of overhanging trees and exposure to the prevailing breeze. You might get bored with the scenery after a while but that's about the only drawback (other than poor streetlights which limit after-dark skating). There are also several miles of connecting neighborhood streets if you want a change of scenery. If you need some help finding the place, let me know and I'll contact you off-list with more details.

Other than that, you'll have to drive a bit to find a genuine trail. From closest to you to furthest:

Flint River Trail: http://esweb.mcc.edu/ffrt/
I have not skated this for several years, so I can't attest to it's condition. It starts in the downtown Flint area and goes all the way to Bluebell beach.

Columbiaville to Millington trail (about 30 minutes northeast from Flushing): http://www.southernlinkstrailway.com/index.html
I've never skated this trail, but I have recently heard from other skaters that the pavement is smooth & kept clean. It's a 10-mile out & back trail (20 miles total).

Indian Springs Metropark (in the White Lake area; 40 minutes southeast from Flushing): http://www.metroparks.com/parks/index_all.aspx?ID=5
Again, I've never skated this trail, but another skater who uses it regularly says the pavement is smooth & clean. It's an 8 mile trail with a 2 mile inner loop.

Hope that helps and happy skating.
AlexV
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Sk8erBoi
Skater 4 Life

Well, it's a SLOW start for the Speed Team in Rollhaven but it's gettin there. I'm (by far) the best skater, but i have been skating for about 13 years. As far as meets go, i don't think we will be doin them any time soon (seeing that we have maybe 4 consistent skaters) But i'm interested in goin off and doin my own thing in the meantime as far as meets go separate from the team. I'll post more stuff as our team grows.