S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1
BobN

Default Sarasota area?

I'll be staying this weekend near the Bee Ridge road exit of I-75 (Sarasota) and I'm looking for a good place to skate nearby. I'm not looking for a group-skate, just somewhere with smooth pavement, maybe nice scenery, for a 10-to-15 mile skater.

I've received suggestions of the Legacy Trail ("smooth, flat, and boring"), Flatwoods ("7-mile loop with scenery and wildlife"), and Pinellas Trail ("37-miles and smooth, with some overpasses that could count as hills")

Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

-bob
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2
ONOU

http://www.traillink.com/TrailSearch...=Sarasota&sp=N
ONOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Drella
alive with pleasure

If you're going to do the Pinellas trail, park at or near Tropicana field and jump on the trail from the parking lot. Go North of course.

Anything North of Seminole Blvd. is a bumpy ride at best.

Try this.

This way, you'll be able to get to your departure area fairly quick from Sarasota/275....

Though, I've heard that there are plenty of beautiful places just around where you'll be staying...... But sadly,, Sarasota is not my part of town........
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #4
BobN

The Legacy Trail is, as advertised, very straight and flat, since it runs along an old rail line. But it's not completely boring, since it passes a state park, a golf course, neighborhoods, and so forth. Access to the trail is very limited. I entered the trail from Potter park, about the only place where there's any public parking available for trail access. It's a 1.5 mile sidewalk/bike path skate along Central Sarasota Parkway just to get to the trail from Potter park. From there, I took the trail south 6 miles in beautiful weather to Laurel Road. According to the local information, the trail is incomplete, stopping at a bridge about 1/2 mile south of Laural Rd. I didn't bother to verify that. This was on a Sunday in early December, and it wasn't very crowded. The wind was from the north, naturally, so the skate back was much longer. Fauna of interest included a big turtle (about 12") in the ditch alongside the trail, and several birds of prey. I'm not enough of a naturalist to identify species. I also saw few walkers/joggers, several bike groups, and about half a dozen skaters on the trail. At one point, skating about 11mph, I was passed very slowly by a cyclist, who didn't mind (he said) when I started drafting him. But he lost me at about 15mph or so.
The trail extends north of Central Sarasota Pkwy, but I didn't skate on that portion due to the headwind--I was tired by then. Perhaps another time.
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Great you like the trail Bob!!

Next time come joins us for some skating up an the Tampa Bay area.

You (and everybody else) can always keep track of where we are by looking at this calendar http://www.activeintampa.com/events/events.php

/ Birgit