S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old September 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Agnès

Default Trails in Va?

Any one know of any good paved trails to skate in Virginia?
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM   #2
sk8scott

It depends which part. If you're in the northern VA / DC / Leesburg area, there's the Washington & Old Dominion trail. It's a long one, and at least in the past it was quite popular.

If you're in the Norfolk / VA Beach area, the cement boardwalk is the best bet, along with the bike paths extending a mile or two from either end. Some nice detours include the little park access road on 64th Street, and Fort Story. Whatever you do, don't skate the streets in Norfolk - you might get ticketed!

If you're in the Williamsburg / Richmond area, I don't know of any paths per se, but there was a fun road route I used to skate off the Croaker / York River State Park exit (#231?). I'd park in the boat launch area (usually free), skate up the hill, and follow the roads to York River State Park. Then I'd go back, with detours to play on hills along the way (Massena Road?, and taking the left fork where the boat launch is on the right). Be forewarned that the hills are steep and curvy in spots at the boat launch end, and the pavement is kind of sketchy with no runoff before the gravel boat launch lot. For tamer rolling, you can park at the State Park instead (for a fee), and just skate to the top of the boat launch hill & back. That part is about 6-7 miles each way, if my memory serves me well. (It's been over 4 years...)

If you're out in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I can't really help you. Seems like there would be some very nice road skating out that way, provided that the locals and cops aren't donkeys.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote