S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #21
biffsk8er
Senior Member
 
biffsk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,026
Default Park Safety is your responsibility !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Your finger is freaking gone?!? Holy shi7!
Yeah, it is. It has been freaking everyone out. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been skating, I never thought there was a chance that I would lose a finger.

However, having done so, I want to spread the word to others on how important it is to make sure that the skate park ramps you skate are well tended and kept in good repair. I say this because of the release form that most skate parks make you sign. Here is what mine said in the first 3 points of interest:

1. The risk of injury from the activities involved in this program is significant, including the potential for permanent paralysis and death, and,
2. I UNDERSTAND THAT I MAY SUFFER SUCH INJURIES FROM PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM AND THAT I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF (SAID SKATE PARK), and assume full responsibility for my participation; and,
3. I willingly agree to comply with all of the rules established by SAID SKATE PARK. If, however, I observe any unusual significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest official immediately.


It puts all the blame on YOU.

Things to look for :

1) LOOSE PARTS: screws, nails, bolts, coping, Masonite, plywood, decking, metal ramp plates (the metal often on the bottom edge of a quarter pipe or launch ramp), all skating ramp surfaces....

2) IMPEDIMENTS: dust, water, even oil sometimes, skate parts, uneven surfaces, ...

3) OBSTACLES: support beams/posts (common in warehouse skate parks), overhead items (ceiling beams/joists, lighting, fans, etc..) that hang low, other skaters/bikers...

4) OPENINGS: holes in pipes, and openings in ramps. Sides should be covered on transition ramps to keep limbs from getting wedged underneath while skating by them.

I am sure there are other considerations that I haven't mentioned, like skate maintenance, but I hope you get the general idea. DO NOT ASSUME that your local skate park is looking out for you, because often they are not.

'YOU, & ONLY YOU', can look out for what is your best interests.
__________________
Factory Rider for Pro'Designed Inc.
..................Biff Riley.................
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #22
biffsk8er
Senior Member
 
biffsk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,026
Default Sliding gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Slide Gloves

You can buy them or make them. I am not sure what that curring board is made out of. If it is UHMW then it will slide the best.
Seems like a kitchen cutting board might work for a home made version.
__________________
Factory Rider for Pro'Designed Inc.
..................Biff Riley.................
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #23
Demolishun
Aggro Member
 
Demolishun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post

It puts all the blame on YOU.
'YOU, & ONLY YOU', can look out for what is your best interests.
This is standard legal stuff. However, if they know of a problem and intentionally ignore the problem they can still be liable. The intention of these forms is to keep people from sueing who do not know their rights. I talked to a martial arts instructor who said those disclaimer sheets basically are worth nothing. The facility is still responsible in manner cases. I would ask a lawyer for advice AND talk to the facility to make sure it gets fixed. If they do not then pursue it to get it fixed so someone else does not suffer.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to miss a finger, but now you can do really cool magic tricks! Great way to freak little kids out! I am not trying to dismiss your suffering, but help you see the bright side of it. I apologize if it is not humoring you.
__________________
Skate for Life
Demolishun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #24
sk8scott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
[SIZE="3"]Yeah, it is. It has been freaking everyone out. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been skating, I never thought there was a chance that I would lose a finger.
Holy fuzznuck!!! Sorry to hear about the lost digit.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #25
fablemaker2
Pathological skater
 
fablemaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LOCATION INDEED, SIR!
Posts: 1,598
Default

yeah any business can make people sign a form, but it still doesn't nullify their responsibility to maintain their equipment.

if anything, the skatepark should be partially responsible for (a) medical bills and possibly (b) any disability that you incurred. the key word is partial liability.

this is really why most businesses don't want people skating on their property...they're responsible, even if some skater illegally hits his head on their ledge.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #26
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Damm Biff, sorry to hear about that! Holy hell, I would check with an attorney. Waivers are only good for waving around. They don't release anyone from stuff like that.

That's why most skating rinks do not allow any aggressive ramps or rails. Their rink association insurance has been sued enough times, even with waivers in place.

Wow. (taking off rings right now)
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #27
Demolishun
Aggro Member
 
Demolishun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,998
Default

I talked to my wife about it and I am thinking that instead of fixing my ring that I cut apart, I will get one tattooed on. She said she doesn't want it to turn that ugly blue color most tatoos fade to. Does anybody know anything about getting one that will stay the same color?
__________________
Skate for Life
Demolishun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #28
fablemaker2
Pathological skater
 
fablemaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LOCATION INDEED, SIR!
Posts: 1,598
Default

there are some colors that are known to last longer...check your tat parlor for that info...other than picking the longest-lasting color, you can get a patterned tat instead of filled in...sort of a mesh look. that way, the loss of color isn't so noticeable.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #29
biffsk8er
Senior Member
 
biffsk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,026
Default Thank you for your many responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun
However, if they know of a problem and intentionally ignore the problem they can still be liable.
I feel that is the case, personally. But I'd need proof that they had no idea that their park was in such disrepair. Witnesses to that would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun
I would ask a lawyer for advice AND talk to the facility to make sure it gets fixed. If they do not then pursue it to get it fixed so someone else does not suffer.
I did get legal advice, and the lawyer said it would be very hard to win. Also, after I left in the ambulance, my wife went to take a picture of the screw (when she arrived about 30 minutes later); they had hammered the screw down and told her that they did not know about any 'loose screw'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun
I am not trying to dismiss your suffering, but help you see the bright side of it.
Ha! I laughed quite a bit when I saw your post. No worries! You rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott
Holy fuzznuck!!! Sorry to hear about the lost digit.
----Scott
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2
... it still doesn't nullify their responsibility to maintain their equipment. ..
the skatepark should be partially responsible for (a) medical bills and possibly (b) any disability that you incurred. the key word is partial liability.
I wish it were that easy. I might still look into this, though...as my advice was not from a personal injury layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big
Damm Biff, sorry to hear about that!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big
Holy hell, I would check with an attorney.
I have and will again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big
(taking off rings right now)
Good! This is my mission: Bring awareness to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun
instead of fixing my ring that I cut apart, I will get one tattooed on.
My wife has already discussed us getting our rings tattooed on since this happened!! Great minds think alike.
__________________
Factory Rider for Pro'Designed Inc.
..................Biff Riley.................
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #30
Demolishun
Aggro Member
 
Demolishun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
[SIZE="3"]
I did get legal advice, and the lawyer said it would be very hard to win. Also, after I left in the ambulance, my wife went to take a picture of the screw (when she arrived about 30 minutes later); they had hammered the screw down and told her that they did not know about any 'loose screw'.
That is what you would want to happen anyway. It is too bad they got all defensive and lied about it though. To me, crap happens, and sometimes there is no fix. However increasing the awareness of the park owners and only resorting to a suit when they refuse to fix it is for the best. Nobody wants to be sued and nobody wants to sue (except nasty people), and should be used when it can't be worked out.

I would go around the park next time looking for defects and making them aware of them every time you go though. Make sure to tap your fingers on the table of the violated hand to "make your point" that they need to fix what you find.
__________________
Skate for Life
Demolishun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #31
biffsk8er
Senior Member
 
biffsk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
That is what you would want to happen anyway. It is too bad they got all defensive and lied about it though. To me, crap happens, and sometimes there is no fix. However increasing the awareness of the park owners and only resorting to a suit when they refuse to fix it is for the best. Nobody wants to be sued and nobody wants to sue (except nasty people), and should be used when it can't be worked out.

I would go around the park next time looking for defects and making them aware of them every time you go though. Make sure to tap your fingers on the table of the violated hand to "make your point" that they need to fix what you find.
Good idea! However, my wife has sworn me off of ever going to that park again.
__________________
Factory Rider for Pro'Designed Inc.
..................Biff Riley.................
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.