S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 19th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
LambChopper

Default One year after fracture I'm dreaming of skating again

Last April I was skating in my garage. I still don't know what happened but I went down hard and fast. Six hours of ER wait time later I found out I'd fractured my shoulder. It hurt, no doubt, but more than the pain was how it scared me. I was on the ground broken and stunned in a fraction of a second. Absolutely no time to fall correctly.

Here I am a year later thinking about getting back up on the wheels I swore I'd never again be on. I was watching a YouTube video of Michelle Steinlen and a friend skating a really awful road full of cracks and rough paving in what I think was Hawaii. How??? Soft wheels? Skill?? Good video editing?!

My garage floor is smooth, way smoother than that road, yet they were rolling along and not falling and I fell and cracked.

I guess I'm just looking for some.......? Encouragement. Tips. Hints.

Inlines are not really an option as they scare me and my neighborhood has some slopes. Speed isn't an issue. Safety and gentle exercise is my goal.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
Last April I was skating in my garage. I still don't know what happened but I went down hard and fast. Six hours of ER wait time later I found out I'd fractured my shoulder. It hurt, no doubt, but more than the pain was how it scared me. I was on the ground broken and stunned in a fraction of a second. Absolutely no time to fall correctly.

Here I am a year later thinking about getting back up on the wheels I swore I'd never again be on. I was watching a YouTube video of Michelle Steinlen and a friend skating a really awful road full of cracks and rough paving in what I think was Hawaii. How??? Soft wheels? Skill?? Good video editing?!

My garage floor is smooth, way smoother than that road, yet they were rolling along and not falling and I fell and cracked.

I guess I'm just looking for some.......? Encouragement. Tips. Hints.

Inlines are not really an option as they scare me and my neighborhood has some slopes. Speed isn't an issue. Safety and gentle exercise is my goal.
Skating rink..... outdoor skating is different and requires a slightly different setup. I would choose longer plates rather than short forward due to many variables you have to face out doors that you don't indoors. Long forward can be your friend.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

IMHO standing still falls or standing still while someone else is close are the worst falls, you tend to jump up a bit and unweight, then down you go, you might have touched something that took away your attention and balance and bam.
Skating is great exercise for agility, why not find a basketball court nearby and get lots of hours in, get comfortable, wear wrist guards, next time you go down your hands can soften the blow, without breaking.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
I've banged bodies with Michelle. (on skates, that is) VERY strong girl. Strong quads and glutes. Young healthy knees. That is what you are seeing. Also takes a fall like nothing. Easy to do stuff when you have little fear of falling.

If you are skating in your garage, find the bulkiest padded short you can, and learn to fall on your butt. True about fall at low/no speed. All the force is straight down. When you are moving, your force is dispersed in your direction of travel, not just down.
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Luv2roll

Default Hope this will help

It's understandable when accidents happen and the injuries are severe that you would have second thoughts about continuing the activity that caused it. The first year I started skating, I was standing & my mind wandered. The next thing I knew my ankle gave way & twisted over then to the floor I went. It was a bad sprang & I was out for 6 weeks. I came back immediately after & started over. It was painful & although I was a little apprehensive, I just couldn't let that stop me & that feeling went away quickly as each session past. I feel now it was worth coming back. I think if I'd let fear sink in, I would've talked myself out of it. Although,in another spin, there was an advanced skater that broke her ankle early last year doing a simple Tstop. She has not returned yet & I have a feeling fear has won the battle with her. I'm sure there are a lot of people on the forum much more experienced that can tell you their stories that maybe a lot worse. I hope you get the encouragement you need to get back in the game & learn to enjoy it all over again.
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #6
HeBeGB

Default Yoga

If you talk to Michelle, she will tell you that she used to hurt badly after doing a few runs on skates, she took up yoga because the skateboarders were doing it and not having problems, now she can skate all day no issues. I reckon there could be something in it.
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Derrick

Sometimes when your afraid you'll be out of balance towards where you would like to fall if you fall. This is just a pre-fall. Make sure you keep good bslance despite your fear.
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #8
fierocious1

Default Sometimes you fall

I fell two different times in one of the rinks I go to. Once to a pebble that came off someone's skate. They skated into the rink and brought it with them from the parking lot I figure. I fell on my left shoulder, no way I could prevent it. It hurt for several months and it still gives me trouble. The next crash got my right shoulder, kid skating on the floor with a drink and spilling it. Coming out of a turn slipped and fell down. Again, no way to prevent it. Had a head on crash with a wrong way skater a few years ago. Trying to avoid is a no no for me. I defend and doze over...now. Anyway you can expect for crashes to happen, no one is immune to crashes. Pad up if you are at beginners level. Understand, everyone falls with or without help doing it.
I rarely fall now, but it is due to others usually when I do.
Old March 20th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
If you talk to Michelle, she will tell you that she used to hurt badly after doing a few runs on skates, she took up yoga because the skateboarders were doing it and not having problems, now she can skate all day no issues. I reckon there could be something in it.
+1 to yoga for pain management, mobility, resilience, and suppleness in joints, muscles, tendons, soft tissues, etc. Nothing beats it really. Besides any skating advice, strength training will increase bone density and tendon thickness, which will help prevent broken bones and muscle tears. Eating a healthy diet will help support these goals.

Skating in a rink is definitely a good way to start safely, even if you only want to skate outdoors.

"When in doubt, pad it out" -Bill Stoppard
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #10
LambChopper

Thanks everyone! You've helped me to creep an inch closer to lacing up.

We have one rink in town, and my two times there last year were terrifying. It's overrun with kids using those skate aid PVC things careening around like drunk drivers, kids cutting across the floor, kids standing in the floor talking, kids splattered all over in tangled heaps, etc. They obviously cater to families, but it's very unsafe for a beginner adult who breaks. I would literally feel safer skating in traffic. I was SO disappointed because it's 4 minutes from my house. I could literally skate to it.

I was rolling slowly when I went down so I think my wheels caught each other and threw me forward.

Anyway, I'm mentally dipping my toe (stops) in the water here. Haha, see what I did there?
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #11
LambChopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Skating rink..... outdoor skating is different and requires a slightly different setup. I would choose longer plates rather than short forward due to many variables you have to face out doors that you don't indoors. Long forward can be your friend.
If and when I get ready to do this I'm going to ask here and probably get a custom pair built. I skated as a teen in the rink using rentals and that's the extent of my knowledge.
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Trixton

Quote:
Thanks everyone! You've helped me to creep an inch closer to lacing up.

We have one rink in town, and my two times there last year were terrifying. It's overrun with kids using those skate aid PVC things careening around like drunk drivers, kids cutting across the floor, kids standing in the floor talking, kids splattered all over in tangled heaps, etc. They obviously cater to families, but it's very unsafe for a beginner adult who breaks. I would literally feel safer skating in traffic. I was SO disappointed because it's 4 minutes from my house. I could literally skate to it.

I was rolling slowly when I went down so I think my wheels caught each other and threw me forward.

Anyway, I'm mentally dipping my toe (stops) in the water here. Haha, see what I did there?
Does the rink do any special sessions? Adult night, family night, etc? Family night sounds like a nightmare but usually those are the least crowded sessions (around here anyway).
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #13
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
Does the rink do any special sessions? Adult night, family night, etc? Family night sounds like a nightmare but usually those are the least crowded sessions (around here anyway).
+1 Good place to start. Hopefully they have a good adult night. My rink even has a Christian Music night once a month.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:
If and when I get ready to do this I'm going to ask here and probably get a custom pair built. I skated as a teen in the rink using rentals and that's the extent of my knowledge.
Get some used skates to start off with. Even a change of cushions and wheels helps most decent used skates. The determine what you like after getting the hang of it again....then place your order. Shamans or SG wheels, comfortable boots and good plates dont have to cost a fortune. Enough people here to help you get them dialed in when the time comes.
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Soccer shoes and rubber bushed plates make great outdoor skates. Not expensive and fairly resilient.
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #16
LambChopper

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely check here if and when I get ready to get a pair of skates.

Yes, my rink offers adult night once a month. I'm considering it. I did end up one afternoon on what was obviously a Christian skate. It wasn't quite as bad as family night but still terrifying with so many kids careening around all over the place. The other rink in town closed last year, so the crowd goes to this one last rink.