S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
LambChopper
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Default One year after fracture I'm dreaming of skating again

Last April I was skating in my garage. I still don't know what happened but I went down hard and fast. Six hours of ER wait time later I found out I'd fractured my shoulder. It hurt, no doubt, but more than the pain was how it scared me. I was on the ground broken and stunned in a fraction of a second. Absolutely no time to fall correctly.

Here I am a year later thinking about getting back up on the wheels I swore I'd never again be on. I was watching a YouTube video of Michelle Steinlen and a friend skating a really awful road full of cracks and rough paving in what I think was Hawaii. How??? Soft wheels? Skill?? Good video editing?!

My garage floor is smooth, way smoother than that road, yet they were rolling along and not falling and I fell and cracked.

I guess I'm just looking for some.......? Encouragement. Tips. Hints.

Inlines are not really an option as they scare me and my neighborhood has some slopes. Speed isn't an issue. Safety and gentle exercise is my goal.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #2
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
Last April I was skating in my garage. I still don't know what happened but I went down hard and fast. Six hours of ER wait time later I found out I'd fractured my shoulder. It hurt, no doubt, but more than the pain was how it scared me. I was on the ground broken and stunned in a fraction of a second. Absolutely no time to fall correctly.

Here I am a year later thinking about getting back up on the wheels I swore I'd never again be on. I was watching a YouTube video of Michelle Steinlen and a friend skating a really awful road full of cracks and rough paving in what I think was Hawaii. How??? Soft wheels? Skill?? Good video editing?!

My garage floor is smooth, way smoother than that road, yet they were rolling along and not falling and I fell and cracked.

I guess I'm just looking for some.......? Encouragement. Tips. Hints.

Inlines are not really an option as they scare me and my neighborhood has some slopes. Speed isn't an issue. Safety and gentle exercise is my goal.
Skating rink..... outdoor skating is different and requires a slightly different setup. I would choose longer plates rather than short forward due to many variables you have to face out doors that you don't indoors. Long forward can be your friend.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 2,256
Default

IMHO standing still falls or standing still while someone else is close are the worst falls, you tend to jump up a bit and unweight, then down you go, you might have touched something that took away your attention and balance and bam.
Skating is great exercise for agility, why not find a basketball court nearby and get lots of hours in, get comfortable, wear wrist guards, next time you go down your hands can soften the blow, without breaking.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: L.A., Ca
Posts: 5,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
Here I am a year later thinking about getting back up on the wheels I swore I'd never again be on. I was watching a YouTube video of Michelle Steinlen and a friend skating a really awful road full of cracks and rough paving in what I think was Hawaii. How??? Soft wheels? Skill?? Good video editing?!
I've banged bodies with Michelle. (on skates, that is) VERY strong girl. Strong quads and glutes. Young healthy knees. That is what you are seeing. Also takes a fall like nothing. Easy to do stuff when you have little fear of falling.

If you are skating in your garage, find the bulkiest padded short you can, and learn to fall on your butt. True about fall at low/no speed. All the force is straight down. When you are moving, your force is dispersed in your direction of travel, not just down.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Luv2roll
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Default Hope this will help

It's understandable when accidents happen and the injuries are severe that you would have second thoughts about continuing the activity that caused it. The first year I started skating, I was standing & my mind wandered. The next thing I knew my ankle gave way & twisted over then to the floor I went. It was a bad sprang & I was out for 6 weeks. I came back immediately after & started over. It was painful & although I was a little apprehensive, I just couldn't let that stop me & that feeling went away quickly as each session past. I feel now it was worth coming back. I think if I'd let fear sink in, I would've talked myself out of it. Although,in another spin, there was an advanced skater that broke her ankle early last year doing a simple Tstop. She has not returned yet & I have a feeling fear has won the battle with her. I'm sure there are a lot of people on the forum much more experienced that can tell you their stories that maybe a lot worse. I hope you get the encouragement you need to get back in the game & learn to enjoy it all over again.
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #6
HeBeGB
Member
 
HeBeGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BrisVegas, Australia
Posts: 94
Default Yoga

If you talk to Michelle, she will tell you that she used to hurt badly after doing a few runs on skates, she took up yoga because the skateboarders were doing it and not having problems, now she can skate all day no issues. I reckon there could be something in it.
__________________
I'm not fast, but I make other people faster
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,211
Default

Sometimes when your afraid you'll be out of balance towards where you would like to fall if you fall. This is just a pre-fall. Make sure you keep good bslance despite your fear.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #8
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,022
Default Sometimes you fall

I fell two different times in one of the rinks I go to. Once to a pebble that came off someone's skate. They skated into the rink and brought it with them from the parking lot I figure. I fell on my left shoulder, no way I could prevent it. It hurt for several months and it still gives me trouble. The next crash got my right shoulder, kid skating on the floor with a drink and spilling it. Coming out of a turn slipped and fell down. Again, no way to prevent it. Had a head on crash with a wrong way skater a few years ago. Trying to avoid is a no no for me. I defend and doze over...now. Anyway you can expect for crashes to happen, no one is immune to crashes. Pad up if you are at beginners level. Understand, everyone falls with or without help doing it.
I rarely fall now, but it is due to others usually when I do.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Trixton
Senior Member
 
Trixton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
If you talk to Michelle, she will tell you that she used to hurt badly after doing a few runs on skates, she took up yoga because the skateboarders were doing it and not having problems, now she can skate all day no issues. I reckon there could be something in it.
+1 to yoga for pain management, mobility, resilience, and suppleness in joints, muscles, tendons, soft tissues, etc. Nothing beats it really. Besides any skating advice, strength training will increase bone density and tendon thickness, which will help prevent broken bones and muscle tears. Eating a healthy diet will help support these goals.

Skating in a rink is definitely a good way to start safely, even if you only want to skate outdoors.

"When in doubt, pad it out" -Bill Stoppard
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #10
LambChopper
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Default

Thanks everyone! You've helped me to creep an inch closer to lacing up.

We have one rink in town, and my two times there last year were terrifying. It's overrun with kids using those skate aid PVC things careening around like drunk drivers, kids cutting across the floor, kids standing in the floor talking, kids splattered all over in tangled heaps, etc. They obviously cater to families, but it's very unsafe for a beginner adult who breaks. I would literally feel safer skating in traffic. I was SO disappointed because it's 4 minutes from my house. I could literally skate to it.

I was rolling slowly when I went down so I think my wheels caught each other and threw me forward.

Anyway, I'm mentally dipping my toe (stops) in the water here. Haha, see what I did there?
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #11
LambChopper
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Skating rink..... outdoor skating is different and requires a slightly different setup. I would choose longer plates rather than short forward due to many variables you have to face out doors that you don't indoors. Long forward can be your friend.
If and when I get ready to do this I'm going to ask here and probably get a custom pair built. I skated as a teen in the rink using rentals and that's the extent of my knowledge.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Trixton
Senior Member
 
Trixton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
Thanks everyone! You've helped me to creep an inch closer to lacing up.

We have one rink in town, and my two times there last year were terrifying. It's overrun with kids using those skate aid PVC things careening around like drunk drivers, kids cutting across the floor, kids standing in the floor talking, kids splattered all over in tangled heaps, etc. They obviously cater to families, but it's very unsafe for a beginner adult who breaks. I would literally feel safer skating in traffic. I was SO disappointed because it's 4 minutes from my house. I could literally skate to it.

I was rolling slowly when I went down so I think my wheels caught each other and threw me forward.

Anyway, I'm mentally dipping my toe (stops) in the water here. Haha, see what I did there?
Does the rink do any special sessions? Adult night, family night, etc? Family night sounds like a nightmare but usually those are the least crowded sessions (around here anyway).
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #13
jotson
Senior Member
 
jotson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
Does the rink do any special sessions? Adult night, family night, etc? Family night sounds like a nightmare but usually those are the least crowded sessions (around here anyway).
+1 Good place to start. Hopefully they have a good adult night. My rink even has a Christian Music night once a month.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #14
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
If and when I get ready to do this I'm going to ask here and probably get a custom pair built. I skated as a teen in the rink using rentals and that's the extent of my knowledge.
Get some used skates to start off with. Even a change of cushions and wheels helps most decent used skates. The determine what you like after getting the hang of it again....then place your order. Shamans or SG wheels, comfortable boots and good plates dont have to cost a fortune. Enough people here to help you get them dialed in when the time comes.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate
 
dvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
If and when I get ready to do this I'm going to ask here and probably get a custom pair built. I skated as a teen in the rink using rentals and that's the extent of my knowledge.
Soccer shoes and rubber bushed plates make great outdoor skates. Not expensive and fairly resilient.
__________________
Find some roller derby girls. Don't try to romance them! That don't end well. okie 10/12/2011
Royals FTW! When only the shiny will do... Doc Sk8 05/19/2012
dvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #16
LambChopper
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Default

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely check here if and when I get ready to get a pair of skates.

Yes, my rink offers adult night once a month. I'm considering it. I did end up one afternoon on what was obviously a Christian skate. It wasn't quite as bad as family night but still terrifying with so many kids careening around all over the place. The other rink in town closed last year, so the crowd goes to this one last rink.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.