S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 12th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1
Dekindy

Default What appears to be very unusual plate placement

I have been reading and watching videos and ran across what appears to be something very unusual and have been unable to find any explanation for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSPcFoQISs

In this video, the installer says that he measures the usual center point per the Snyder tool as a reference point only, but then measures a point that is minimum of 1/4 inch toed-in from center and draws a new line and aligns the plate along the second line, not the originally measured center line. Spoke to a 2nd generation roller skate rink owner and appears to be a darn knowledgeable about skates and he knows of nobody that does this or no reason to do this. Thinks they might do this on ice skates but never on quad roller skates.

Any thoughts?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #2
quantoo

Default gotta say just because somebody owns a rink .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
I have been reading and watching videos and ran across what appears to be something very unusual and have been unable to find any explanation for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSPcFoQISs

In this video, the installer says that he measures the usual center point per the Snyder tool as a reference point only, but then measures a point that is minimum of 1/4 inch toed-in from center and draws a new line and aligns the plate along the second line, not the originally measured center line. Spoke to a 2nd generation roller skate rink owner and appears to be a darn knowledgeable about skates and he knows of nobody that does this or no reason to do this. Thinks they might do this on ice skates but never on quad roller skates.

Any thoughts?
Doesnt mean they speak gospell on skate equipment.
Im probably telling you something you already know but for benifit of some that dont.Your mount should suit the skater ,not the skater suit the mount.
The rink owner will know lots about his skates and some of the peoples skates that he or she mounts .
So how do you know what mount suits you?
The answer to that is so variable that i suggest you try many different types before you decide.
Ive have a favorite pair that arent mounted quite as forward as i like them. So they are really mounted a tad too far back for me.But im waiting till i wear the boots out before i remount more forward.
How i do mine is i get a plate almost the size of the boot Like a 195mm axle centers on a size 8 us boot.
Then i go to the widest part of the boot at the balls of feet end and mark the centre,then mark the widest part of the heel in centre. draw the centreline through these marks and move the line out about 1/2 to 1mm to the outside of the boot.
What im trying to say is youll notice they feel wrong when you skate them if they are not suited to you .
But you won't notice so much if they are close to being right.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Mine are beyond that I believe. Currently mounted toe in heel out, they are built for me and how I skate. Honestly, I should take a picture of my boot vs the "snyder" centerline sometime just for a refrence. Never checked it.
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #4
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Ive seen and heard of offset mounting but not In board.
Left foot out side of center idea being to angle the plate slightly out for cornering.
My first plate kangaroo was done like that.1980.
Since being on the log I've gone dead on centerline of boot.Every time.
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

That's Doug Glass, a very successful speed skater from back in the day, and owner of Nistevo, Atom Skates, et.al. His wife, Julie, (Atomatrix) is also a former speed skater turned derby player. That's his opinion on how plates get mounted. As a former 100m track skater, it might make sense. For derby players, which is their current target demographic, maybe not so much.

He's using a Snyder tool, which is intended for use mounting standard sized Snyder art plates on Riedell art boots. Any other use is at one's own peril, which is probably the reason for the adjustment post-marking.

That's not how I mount plates. Not at all.

But it's a classic case of "ask five people and you'll get eight opinions."