S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 14th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #1
intamin

Default "Skateboards Only." Ignoring skatepark rules...

I've recently gotten into skating skateparks and my local town (Oceanside, CA) is super biased against anything that isn't a skateboard. Literally every park in the city has a rule stating "skateboards only". Now, I'm sure a lot of people disregard the rule but I wanted to know what others thought about this. How do you get around this? You think anyone will care? I just don't want to be accosted if I go there with blades...

There is a good park that doesn't seem to forbid them down in Carlsbad, but it's like a 30 minute drive each way, my local parks are pretty good and less than 10 out.
intamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Bmx bikes seem to be the only problem makers IME. Its pretty much the same anywhere, take turns, no one shoyld complain unless you're hogging an area up.

Bmx can usually pump for longer and rolling resistances are less so they tend to use up more time. Maybe thats why?

I doubt you'll have problems if your friendly.
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #3
WJCIV

If you want to do it "right" you can probably look into the process to petition the city council. Or whatever it takes to talk at one of their meetings. Even a simple email to a member of the council may be sufficient. If you can state your case well and politely, they may change the rules quickly and with little fuss.

As Mort said, it's probably meant to discourage bikes. They may also be worried about foot traffic. Depending on the penalty for a first offense (warning? fine?) it may be worth waiting until you get caught once before raising the issue formally. Just have a plan ready to diffuse the situation if you get accosted by that one person who is self important and a stickler for rules.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #4
BigFoot

I once had a skateboarder yell at me, ďThereís no roller skating on this side of the park!Ē That was BS, of course. He made up that rule on the spot. Maybe he was just a hater, maybe he wanted to demo his machismo to his friends, or maybe he was looking for a fight, I dunno. I could have challenged him, but he was ready to snap like a dry twig and Iím sure I would have got the worst of that fight. I immediately went to the other side of the park to wait him out. Sure enough, he and his friends left a few minutes later and I returned to that side of the park. And that was it.

Anyway, no matter what the rules are, from time to time you are going to run into A-holes. Itís best to show kindness in the face of anger. Walk away and donít interact with them. And especially donít let them bring you down. You are there to ride the concrete wave.

I should point out that this was the only bad experience in many years of skating at the park. 99.9% of the time the people are friendly, polite and complementary. Odds are you will always have a good time.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Altpensacola

Default And the sign said....

At a local tennis court the sign says "No Skate Boards, Roller Blades, Bikes or Scooters. "

So to me that opens the gates to Quad Skates for sure!

Roll On!
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #6
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I am an avid longboarder and inline skater. Used quads for 25 years before that. As a longboarder I come across a lot of fitness paths with "No Skateboards" signs but somehow inlines and quads are embraced. Skateboarders, some deservedly so, are run out of every public place where the cops and security guards don't even look at me twice on my skates.

So put yourself in their shoes. Skateboarders have been run out of every paved space on Earth EXCEPT a few skate parks often CREATED BY SKATEBOARDERS. Yes, it is a little narrow minded and ironic that a skateboarder would want to exclude any type of skater from any park or paved space, but people are people and don't dig "outsiders" in general.

I leave the kids to their parks. Don't really want them flying around me anyway. And inline/quad skaters are a shrinking breed so nobody is really thinking about them/us when they make skate parks anymore.

Maybe you could spearhead an effort if there were a few skaters interested other than just you.
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #7
intamin

Well, I went to one of the parks today and scoped it out for a bit. After a few minutes of hesitant circumnavigation I noticed the sign posted by the city and was surprised to read:

"Skateboards and inline skates only."

So it turns out the website is wrong! But what do you believe, right? Both come from the city gov't...I'll take the posted sign, I'm sure it has precedent, anyway.

There were about 6 people there and then it upped to 10 as the day wore on. I was the only one blading, naturally. I had no issues with anyone and they didn't pay me any mind. It was an awesome session, too! I haven't been on ramps in 15 years, lol. I went from bobbing around a bit to dropping into 6 ft quarter pipes just an hour or so later. Awesome stuff.

As for the the newer park near me I'll probably check that out tomorrow and see what the sign says, maybe I'll get lucky there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Odds are you will always have a good time.
Thanks, I did! Glad it worked out for you, too, people can be crazy. Everyone at the park was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Skateboarders have been run out of every paved space on Earth EXCEPT a few skate parks often CREATED BY SKATEBOARDERS. Yes, it is a little narrow minded and ironic that a skateboarder would want to exclude any type of skater from any park or paved space, but people are people and don't dig "outsiders" in general.
Well said all around, but there is definitely no logical reason to forbid skaters if they're following the unwritten rules (no snaking, watching people's lines, etc.).
Old February 16th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #8
slowsk8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
At a local tennis court the sign says "No Skate Boards, Roller Blades, Bikes or Scooters. "

So to me that opens the gates to Quad Skates for sure!

Roll On!
In a store parking lot years ago I had a guy yell at me "No roller blading" I said fine, I'm K2ing.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #9
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
In a store parking lot years ago I had a guy yell at me "No roller blading" I said fine, I'm K2ing.
A local park allows "rollerblading" but not skateboards. There are not any "No Skateboards" signs, but the rules state that "Foot traffic, bicycles, and rollerblades are allowed. Skateboards are forbidden by omission.

I found this out on my LONGBOARD while using a land paddle in this park. The security dude told me skateboards were not allowed. I tried to school him on the difference between a skateboard and a longboard and got nowhere fast. Also, I am in my late 50s without any cans of spray paint on my person but THE RULES ARE THE RULES!
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #10
marksundell
Blade or Die.

The reason they put signs up like that is to keep the bikers out. Because their pegs ruin the ramps. Don't sweat it, no one ever has been kicked out of a skate park for rollerblading.
marksundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #11
intamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksundell View Post
The reason they put signs up like that is to keep the bikers out. Because their pegs ruin the ramps. Don't sweat it, no one ever has been kicked out of a skate park for rollerblading.
And because they claim only boarders worked hard getting the park built, so only they should be able to use it. Pish posh!
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #12
nickajshelden
Blades

Seems the issue is mostly bmx bikes, though I see little reason to not allow a bmx bike where you allow skateboards. Scooters and Skates get to go everywhere it seems, even many places where skateboards, longboards, and bikes are not allowed.
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #13
shesk8

agree, the best approach for you is to bring this up to city council. there is no reason skating(inline/aggressive/quad rollers) should be banned from any concrete "skate parks?... it's discriminatory in nature.

I don't think the intent of these skate parks was for singular sport use. In our city you see skaters, boarders, kids on bikes, etc all in the bowls. And, actually, if you are taking the high-road of showing up at a public council meeting to bring this to light, and request the city make signage that reflects this accordingly, take visual examples of others parks from around your state and the country showing the bowls as intended multi sport use. These images will go a long way yo support your arguments/request to ensure the park gets recognized and denoted as mutli-sport use.

Our concrete bowls were a reaction by the city planners, built as a deterrent, in getting aggressive skaters out of down town areas... we've come a long way.

One of our shared paved parkways, however, the city park has insistently calls a "rollerblading path".... yet runners, cyclists and others all use it. which, btw, we agree it's intended as a shared parkway, but the rollerblading terminology used by our city infers otherwise, and to date they just don't get it. We joking discuss showing up at public meetings to set the city straight, to drop the rollerblading name.

keep us posted how it goes!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote