S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 11th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Everybodyknows

Default New skates, wheel damage?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I have been skating casually on and off since 1975, and my mid 1980s boots (black leather quads with red krypton wheels) recently disintegrated.

I purchased a new pair of black Risport Antares with variant plates and roll line magnum 53D wheels, and am just getting used to them - great fun.

I have only skated on them for about 26 hours, indoors, on a good rink, but tonight the inside front wheel on the left boot developed a flat area of wear about 1cm across so it rolls with a noticible vibration.

Can I have done this? I have not changed my skating style much since buying them, but my old krypton wheels took years of punishment indoors, out and some hockey too, and they have outlived the boot.

Or is it that these wheels are not suitable for fastish rink skating???

My style is rhythmic, 'dance-ish', medium fast, weaving, family rink skating. I grew up with an artistic skating club, so I like to think I learned a bit of grace. I don't do screeching hockey stops or anything obviously harsh, but I do use a gentle T stop to slow down slowly sometimes. That's the only move that I can imagine causing such wear. I'm really puzzled.
Everybodyknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

53D is quite hard, 96-98A, but also the roll line wheels are plastic, not urethane, yes, you flat spotted the wheel, it can be rounded professionally or even putting the wheel on a drill and holding emery cloth in hand and spinning the wheel while hand held will take out the flat spot, rollers bones makes lots of wheels, various duros, depending on your weight, they offer alloy hubs.
You might check if the rink grinds wheels, and depending on the flatness of the flat spot grinding the one wheel or all eight.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #3
jotson

I found a flat spot on my Rollerbones Turbo 94. I had just put them back on my skates, an could feel it right away - the flat spot was on the rear. I moved it to the front, and can't feel it. It was probably there when I last used them, but probably in the front, so I didn't notice. This was my first time noticing a flat spot as well.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

a 53D is really more suited for very slick surfaces. If you want to stay with Roll-Line you should talk to the folks at skates u.s.

Have you ever seen this chart http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...roducts_id=369

It tells you every thing you need to know about your wheels. The reason you have a flat spot is because you dragged it. The same thing happens with pencil erasers. The ones made of softer materials, wear quickly, and harder material erasers don't.

I had a wheel hog years ago. I used it a lot on my Roll-Line wheels to remove flat spots. Now days I no longer do any T-stops. Roll-Line panther wheels are too expensive to replace, and I won't skate on a wheel with a flat spot.

You might be able to smooth it out a bit with a file. But I don't know for sure because I haven't tried it, but others have mentioned they have.
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Everybodyknows

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes sk84luv I am skating on a pretty slick surface- it's a tiled indoor basketball court, very fast. I have enjoyed the responsiveness of these new wheels, but I do feel them slip if I'm pushing off with a long leg extension as my weight comes off them.

I don't really understand the difference between the different kinds of roll line wheels. Ursle said roll line magnum wheels are plastic not urethane - not sure what that implies. Are their urethane wheels better in some way? Might they resist flat spotting more (if I promise to avoid T stops too!) If so which ones would you recommend?
Everybodyknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #6
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybodyknows View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes sk84luv I am skating on a pretty slick surface- it's a tiled indoor basketball court, very fast. I have enjoyed the responsiveness of these new wheels, but I do feel them slip if I'm pushing off with a long leg extension as my weight comes off them.

I don't really understand the difference between the different kinds of roll line wheels. Ursle said roll line magnum wheels are plastic not urethane - not sure what that implies. Are their urethane wheels better in some way? Might they resist flat spotting more (if I promise to avoid T stops too!) If so which ones would you recommend?
The more expensive wheels are urethane compound. They do not resist flat spotting. Generally, the softer the material the easier it is to flat spot, whether it is made of plastic, or urethane.

Tags
worn wheels