S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 24th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Sir Aaron

Default Frame/Plate Size Questions

Anybody here using a plate/frame size other than the one recommended on the Roll Line chart? I'm thinking about going with a 180mm Frame on a 300mm boot. Roll Line recommends a 190 frame, but I think that puts the front axle a bit in front of the ball of my foot whereas a 180 might be a tad short. Was wondering what some others did.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #2
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I choose to use shorter plate than Roll-Line recommended.
I think boots were 285, i think I used the 160 plate.

I stand corrected I choose the 170 Plate.
see picture below.

Last edited by SSpinball; January 26th, 2017 at 02:24 AM.
SSpinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #3
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Plate Size and Adjustment

I chose to use a plate one size smaller than recommended by the Roll Line Chart.

My boots are men's 8 1/2 and the plate is 160 mm.

This gives me 1/4 inch adjustment room to move the plate forward so that the front axle is just ahead of the ball of my foot or backward so that the front axle is under the ball of my foot.

Cheers,

DannyBoy
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #4
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpinball View Post
I choose to use shorter plate than Roll-Line recommended.
I think boots were 285, i think I used the 160 plate.
Did you mount the frame per standard Edea/rollline recommendations? I assume so because it's harder to mount the Edea any other way.
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoySk8s View Post
I chose to use a plate one size smaller than recommended by the Roll Line Chart.

This gives me 1/4 inch adjustment room to move the plate forward so that the front axle is just ahead of the ball of my foot or backward so that the front axle is under the ball of my foot.

Cheers,

DannyBoy
I really wish I had a 160mm on my 8 1/2 boot. Mine is a 170, and it is mounted with the front axle under the ball of my foot. I think the plate is too long by at least 1/2 size, but you can't get a half size in my frame. I would like to move my frame a tad bit forward, but it can't easily be done.
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #6
Sir Aaron

Quote:

Cheers,

DannyBoy
The roll line website says 160 for 8.5 men's for most plates....
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #7
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Check Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
The roll line website says 160 for 8.5 men's for most plates....
Actually the Roll Line Boot to Frame Size Chart for a Riedell Boot shows 170mm plate as recommended sizing for 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 boots.

If you look at the chart the 160mm plate is recommended for the size 6 to 7 Riedell Boot.

http://www.skatesus.com/documents/20...eSizeChart.pdf

Cheers,

DannyBoy
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #8
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

285 Edea Fly boot, with Novita/Dance 170 Plate
I mount my own skates, with T-nut setup.

Old January 26th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #9
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

I followed the Roll Line chart guidelines and went with a size 170 Mistral. That was a BIG mistake because that set the front axle too far forward and I couldn't spin because the plate was too long. I ended up selling the plate on Ebay. Now my four custom boots are all fit with size 160's.

**The best thing to do is measure the sole of the boot.**
The guy that mounts skates at my rink has a chart, I don't know where he got it from, that tells you what size plate to go with based on the length of the sole. And remember, sole size will vary within the same exact size for a particular brand, but especially on any hand made boot like an SP Teri or Harlick.

I definitely learned my lesson. IMHO, the Roll Line Boot to Frame sizing chart is designed with the aggressive freestyle jumper in mind.
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #10
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Actually the Roll Line Boot to Frame Size Chart for a Riedell Boot shows 170mm plate as recommended sizing for 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 boots.

If you look at the chart the 160mm plate is recommended for the size 6 to 7 Riedell Boot.

http://www.skatesus.com/documents/20...eSizeChart.pdf

Cheers,

DannyBoy
I looked again, Im not sure what I was looking at. The EDEA site has 8.5 being equivalent to a 275mm boot which they want a 165 (optimal) or 170.

SkatesUS uses a chart that is different than the Roll Line/EDEA recommendations.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Sir Aaron

Quote:
285 Edea Fly boot, with Novita/Dance 170 Plate
I mount my own skates, with T-nut setup.

Can I see a pick of the bottom so I can see the mount and the inside edge of the exterior of the boot? (so instead of seeing the outside, I'd like to see where the ball of the foot would normally be).

Last edited by Sir Aaron; January 31st, 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #12
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
I followed the Roll Line chart guidelines and went with a size 170 Mistral. That was a BIG mistake because that set the front axle too far forward and I couldn't spin because the plate was too long. I ended up selling the plate on Ebay. Now my four custom boots are all fit with size 160's.

**The best thing to do is measure the sole of the boot.**
The guy that mounts skates at my rink has a chart, I don't know where he got it from, that tells you what size plate to go with based on the length of the sole. And remember, sole size will vary within the same exact size for a particular brand, but especially on any hand made boot like an SP Teri or Harlick.

I definitely learned my lesson. IMHO, the Roll Line Boot to Frame sizing chart is designed with the aggressive freestyle jumper in mind.
Yeah, I guess a jumper might want a longer base for landing. My problem is that I have two plate sizes on my custom boots. I have a 180 on my figure boots (Giotto only goes up to 180). It is mounted a tad bit forward and as a result I feel like I can't quite sit back on my heel. On my dance and freestyle I have a longer Energy plate, a 190. I can get back further but I think the frame is just too long.

I'm thinking about buying new skates and going entirely with a 180 mounted in normal style (almost all the way back). I could also have my figure skates remounted further back (originally they were flush with the back but I felt it wasn't under the ball of my foot so I had them move it forward a tad).
Old January 28th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #13
larryoracing

Smile Roll Line 165 plate one a EDEA 275 Boot would be optimum!

I wish I would have analyzed a little bit more what you guys are talking about. In general I see what you are saying.

In my case I bought a plate that was a little too short per Edea/Roll Line recommendations. I have all EDEA 275 boots and they are mounted on 160 Roll Line Plates. A 165 length plate is optimal per the chart and I agree.

The plates are mounted in a happy medium to accommodate the short plate.
I bought a new pair of Roll Line Ring skates at the optimal 165 length that I will mount on a Roller Flamenco Dance Boot 275. I think that will be the perfect fit.

Larry O

P.S. Sir Arron do you have any Roll Line Dance Plates? It seems you are shining away from that plate?
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I wish I would have analyzed a little bit more what you guys are talking about. In general I see what you are saying.

In my case I bought a plate that was a little too short per Edea/Roll Line recommendations. I have all EDEA 275 boots and they are mounted on 160 Roll Line Plates. A 165 length plate is optimal per the chart and I agree.

The plates are mounted in a happy medium to accommodate the short plate.
I bought a new pair of Roll Line Ring skates at the optimal 165 length that I will mount on a Roller Flamenco Dance Boot 275. I think that will be the perfect fit.

Larry O

P.S. Sir Arron do you have any Roll Line Dance Plates? It seems you are shining away from that plate?
Not all plates come in half sizes. So depending on the plate you might have to go with a 160 or 170. Therein lies the problem. If 165 is perfect then 160 will be short and 170 will be long. When you get to bigger sizes nothing comes in half sizes. I can't even get most plates in a 190. 180 is the upper limits on plates like the dance.

The proper location for mounting the plate is supposedly the front axle should be directly under the ball of the foot. The back shouldn't matter. I tend to disagree a little because if the plate isn't big enough the back doesn't sit properly under the heel. But some people say the back doesn't really matter. If the plate is too long then you have to sit it all the way back and the front axle winds up a little ahead of the ball of the foot. That makes an excellent foundation for landing jumps but isn't supposed to be good for spins and turns. A lot of coaches and skaters have their own slightly different mounting theories. I was speaking with one of the SKATESUS employees who disagree with the mounting advice espoused by SKATESUS, LOL.

Speaking of the dance plate, I'm actually ordering my new skates with a 180 dance plate on a 300 EDEA Flamenco boot. So I'm embracing the dance plate. For figures I'm moving to the Hudor which is non Roll Line. But I will go with an EDEA Jazz boot.

My wife's not thrilled about me getting new because the skates I have now are custom Riedell boots and they were very expensive. I reminded her that I had never skated competitively before ordering them. We tried all sorts of boots before going to custom route and they didn't fit properly. It's now been a couple years, I've won a couple times at Nationals and now I've got a better sense of what my boots should do, what I prefer, and what to look for. I'm also doing much more complicated figures (brackets, counters, inner and outer threes) so my needs have changed significantly. So, yeah, it will probably suck that I'm paying for all new skates. But even with custom Riedell boots, eventually they'd break down and I'd need new ones.

I do tend to notice a lot of coaches say this, that, or the other boot and frame are the best. One coach, in particular, tells me she uses certain boots and plates because that is what all the champions use. So whatever they do, she's going to do. Now this is a world level coach that coaches a world champion. I'm sorry, but that's just not enough for me. World Champions don't always have experience with different boots/plates and wear whatever their sponsor gives them. For free. Tell me why something works or doesn't work.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:06 PM   #15
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

which cushions ? our skates are very similar.
you will love the stability and control with the Dance plate.
170 Dance, 285 Fly boot.

I had to cut down my Edea heel .3"
are you going to use the Edea Power wedges ?

Old February 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #16
Sir Aaron

Quote:
which cushions ? our skates are very similar.
you will love the stability and control with the Dance plate.
170 Dance, 285 Fly boot.

I had to cut down my Edea heel .3"
are you going to use the Edea Power wedges ?
My skates will be 300 Flamenco and 180 dance plate. You know, I don't know about the power wedges. I'm having the vendor mount them so I assume they'll use the power wedge. At least I hope they do for the EDEA plate. I guess I could email and ask.

I will probably wear clear cushions. I've tried variations of different things. The Yellow are hard as rocks. I'm pretty sure they could support the weight of a small truck. The Clear are still pretty hard. I've tried the clear blue both mixed in with clear and by themselves. They feel a little squishy to me. I can get used to them but was afraid they just couldn't handle my weight (205-215). I still use clear blue on the lower portion of my freestyle skates.

I'm anxious to get the skates, especially my figure skates. I'm getting EDEA Jazz boots with the Roller Skates Professional Hudor (sometimes called Paioli Hudor).
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #17
rwsz

Quote:
My skates will be 300 Flamenco and 180 dance plate. You know, I don't know about the power wedges. I'm having the vendor mount them so I assume they'll use the power wedge. At least I hope they do for the EDEA plate. I guess I could email and ask.

I will probably wear clear cushions. I've tried variations of different things. The Yellow are hard as rocks. I'm pretty sure they could support the weight of a small truck. The Clear are still pretty hard. I've tried the clear blue both mixed in with clear and by themselves. They feel a little squishy to me. I can get used to them but was afraid they just couldn't handle my weight (205-215). I still use clear blue on the lower portion of my freestyle skates.

I'm anxious to get the skates, especially my figure skates. I'm getting EDEA Jazz boots with the Roller Skates Professional Hudor (sometimes called Paioli Hudor).
i think u have to request the wedges and pay for them also. my son was like 6 ft 180 to 185 and used clear and yellow combo with yellow on the bottom.
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
i think u have to request the wedges and pay for them also. my son was like 6 ft 180 to 185 and used clear and yellow combo with yellow on the bottom.
I'll have to ask. I've never paid for them in the past. They always came mounted that way. But I'm using a new vendor (I'm ordering from Italy).
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #19
rwsz

Quote:
I'll have to ask. I've never paid for them in the past. They always came mounted that way. But I'm using a new vendor (I'm ordering from Italy).
ok thats cool then, getting them cheaper from Italy and direct, thats cool.
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #20
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for all the posts. I will have to analyse them later.

I recently got my Roll-line "Ring" Plates mounted to the EDEA Flamenco Dance boot. I am quietly disappointed.

I was hoping this plate would react exactly like the dance plate. It does not. In the literature it says the truck action on the Ring plate is 'toned' down from the Dance plate. It is and is not as violent/quick acting as the Dance plate.

This plate is beautiful to skate on, but is no match to the Dance plate in it ability to cut a quick deep edge.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote